2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Why not try Loktionov at that LW spot? I know Loktionov only wants to play center but surely he'd prefer 1st line LW to health scratch?

He says he's not comfortable at wing.  I don't think it's a question of preference just as 'I don't think I'm good at this, please don't use me this way'.

He says he's not comfortable at wing.  I don't think it's a question of preference just as 'I don't think I'm good at this, please don't use me this way'.

that being the case the last thing we would want to do with him is put him in a spot on the ice where he is not comfortable... he already hasnt been too great this year to begin with

Jacob Josefson hasn't played in over a month. Sucks that the Devils burned a year off of his waiver exemption by playing him in meaningless games as a 19 year old. Could be getting some actual game time in Albany right now if they kept him under 11 games in 2010-11.

Devils have 3 guys that shouldn't be healthy scratches hanging around. Shame there isn't anything that can be done about Josefson. Shame Merrill isn't playing here or in the AHL right now. And I think Loktionov should be in the lineup as well, but what can you do.

Jacob Josefson hasn't played in over a month. Sucks that the Devils burned a year off of his waiver exemption by playing him in meaningless games as a 19 year old. Could be getting some actual game time in Albany right now if they kept him under 11 games in 2010-11.

Those weren't meaningless games - he was NHL ready and NJ needed a center.  Just hurts that he wasn't able to keep up that level of play.

Sometimes I think we analyze roster decisions way more than Lou or the coaches ever do. Lou and Pete are in the business of winning games, proper prospect management is way down the list of their priorities. Many may not like it but it's clearly the way the devils work. If they feel that a guy like Matteau can help for a few games, they won't worry about his contract situation 3 or 4 years down the line. Same goes for josefson.

This can also apply to lineup decisions. For whatever reason, the team was winning early with Marty in net, thus he was getting starts. The stats may not agree but the results did. Now that has changed and Cory is getting the starts.

It's clear to me that they put the guys on the ice that they feel give them the best team. And yes this includes Salvador volchenkov gionta Bernier Merrill Marty and anyone else who has gotten complaints on here over the past few weeks.

Sometimes I think we analyze roster decisions way more than Lou or the coaches ever do. Lou and Pete are in the business of winning games, proper prospect management is way down the list of their priorities. Many may not like it but it's clearly the way the devils work. If they feel that a guy like Matteau can help for a few games, they won't worry about his contract situation 3 or 4 years down the line. Same goes for josefson.

This can also apply to lineup decisions. For whatever reason, the team was winning early with Marty in net, thus he was getting starts. The stats may not agree but the results did. Now that has changed and Cory is getting the starts.

It's clear to me that they put the guys on the ice that they feel give them the best team. And yes this includes Salvador volchenkov gionta Bernier Merrill Marty and anyone else who has gotten complaints on here over the past few weeks.

I get what you are saying and agree you should put the best possible guys on the ice, but only when you're in playoff contention imo. It just seems like a waste to burn a year of Josefson's waiver exemption when the team was essentially out of the playoffs by a long margin. Now they lose flexibility and in turn he's stuck "developing" in a suite at games. I get that they wanted him to get some time under Lemaire, but they could've done it without sacrificing a whole year of waiver exemption.

FWIW, I had no issue with burning a year of Matteau's ELC last year since to me that was a team that was in playoff contention.

They're not meaningless if he is a mainstay in the line up right now. In a lost season, which that was, why burn through the waiver year? Bad roster management.

Because he was an NHL player then.  Did he look out of place in the NHL at that point?  He wasn't a drag on possession and played well.  Tough to say the same about his unfortunately short performances this year.

Because he was an NHL player then.  Did he look out of place in the NHL at that point?  He wasn't a drag on possession and played well.  Tough to say the same about his unfortunately short performances this year.

That's not my point though, I agree he was a NHL player. I mean, if you aren't confident that the next coach will make him mainstay in the line up, then why not pick up a fringe player to finish out the year for a team well out of playoff contention? Seems a bit irresponsible to end up in this situation. I really don't think I'm being unfair in my criticism of the way the Devils handled Josefson's development.

That's not my point though, I agree he was a NHL player. I mean, if you aren't confident that the next coach will make him mainstay in the line up, then why not pick up a fringe player to finish out the year for a team well out of playoff contention? Seems a bit irresponsible to end up in this situation. I really don't think I'm being unfair in my criticism of the way the Devils handled Josefson's development.

But that's just it - DeBoer did make him a mainstay in the lineup.  Not only was he never a healthy scratch in 2011-12 (to my knowledge), he was brought back into the lineup for another healthy player when he returned from injury.  He was also never a healthy scratch in 2012-13 until he went down to Albany.  He just hasn't really done anything at the NHL level in 2 years.

whitney returned to the AHL - nice try kid.

Oh well...wasn't like he was a guy who was figuring heavily into the Devils' plans.  He can always say that at least he played a game in the NHL.  A lot of guys can't.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976