Jagr signs with Omsk

dali

So they're paying one lazy Slav a huge amount of money to outperform all of the other lazy Slavs! When does Elias get to join?

And yes, I am Slavic, but am not a fan of our hockey players.

Are you Don Cherry in disguise?

Did you not see Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Franzen win the cup? What about Hossa and Malkin? What about Ovechkin? Yeah those are all lazy Slavs that I would never want on my team.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I like Jagr and would have him on my team in a heartbeat. He is still a great talent and if he were on our roster we are instantly better. Rags fans will realize that Naslund is NOT Jagr. In the playoffs, Jagr provided his own offense. And if there was ever someone harder to knock off the puck (other than Forsberg,) I haven't seen him in 30 years of watching hockey. I'm thrilled he's no longer on the Rangers but as a hockey fan sad that I won't get to watch him play again. Best scenario is to have him go to Edmonton where we can watch him torment the Flames on Center Ice!

Edited by Troy from NJ

as much as i hate jagr for the way he plays (unmotivated, lazy, ect.) i know he is a great hockey player. glad i don't have to deal with him anymore though.

i just can't wait to get some revenge on the idiot rags fans next season who thought their team was good. i'm sure everyone here knows these people. the ones who think the wade redden/naslund signing was a great idea. :rolleyes:

I wish Dallas played at MSG vs the Rags.. would be funny to see fans reactions to Avery.. but that wont happen b/c DAL came to MSG last year, so if anything, the Rangers will be scheduled to play in Dallas.

Can anyone think of a Hall of Fame player who didn't finish his career in the NHL? Borje Salming? Who else?

legendsofhockey.com has Igor Larionov playing 2 games in a Swedish league the year after he played with the Devils. I'm not sure if it counts because it's only 2 games though, plus I don't know why he played so few that year.

Edit: The site actually has him playing those 2 games 2 years after playing with the Devils. Maybe he did it for a fundraiser, or as an emergency fill-in? :noclue:

Edited by devils26

Can anyone think of a Hall of Fame player who didn't finish his career in the NHL? Borje Salming? Who else?

Vladislav Tretiak and Valery Kharlamov for instance. Most of the former Soviet Union legends like these didn

Edited by dali

I want to thank Slats for dropping the ball on Jagr, and would like to see the Dolans give him an extension.

Jagr seems to have made up his mind after the season was over not to return. I think that he was injured more seriously than he let on and wants to finish out in a league based on skill that is more "user-friendly" He seemed to shy away from the hot zones this past season and his skating was sluggish at best. If he was motivated to get back into shape and not take two periods off a game, the numbers that he could put up would make your head spin.

According to Sather, neither Jagr or his agent returned calls to talk money. But $11 mil tax free would be very hard to turn your back on!

Jagr seems to have made up his mind after the season was over not to return. I think that he was injured more seriously than he let on and wants to finish out in a league based on skill that is more "user-friendly" He seemed to shy away from the hot zones this past season and his skating was sluggish at best. If he was motivated to get back into shape and not take two periods off a game, the numbers that he could put up would make your head spin.

According to Sather, neither Jagr or his agent returned calls to talk money. But $11 mil tax free would be very hard to turn your back on!

If this makes you feel better, then fine.

The truth is that Jagr WANTED to return to NY and his terms were simple-- 2 years and the highest paid Ranger. So you could have had him for 2 years at 7.x million. The Rangers didn't think he was worth it, said no and he signed with Omsk. He had the offer from Omsk when the season ended and waited until after the Rangers declined his terms to sign, so he did NOT go for the money as he could have signed in May. This whole agent calling back crap is just that. Slats knew what it would take to keep him.

While he may not be be worth the $7+mill per year he was asking (if you consider what you gave to Redden, he certainly was!), regardless of how you spin this the Rangers were certainly a better team with him than without him and I'm thrilled he's gone. You'll miss him a heckuva lot more than you think and you would have been better off signing Jagr and going after a guy like Orpik than bringing in Naslund and Redden.

If this makes you feel better, then fine.

The truth is that Jagr WANTED to return to NY and his terms were simple-- 2 years and the highest paid Ranger. So you could have had him for 2 years at 7.x million. The Rangers didn't think he was worth it, said no and he signed with Omsk. He had the offer from Omsk when the season ended and waited until after the Rangers declined his terms to sign, so he did NOT go for the money as he could have signed in May. This whole agent calling back crap is just that. Slats knew what it would take to keep him.

While he may not be be worth the $7+mill per year he was asking (if you consider what you gave to Redden, he certainly was!), regardless of how you spin this the Rangers were certainly a better team with him than without him and I'm thrilled he's gone. You'll miss him a heckuva lot more than you think and you would have been better off signing Jagr and going after a guy like Orpik than bringing in Naslund and Redden.

I don't know where you got the money wanted, because money was never brought up in any of the "negotiations" as the series of phone tag was called. I give the 26 year old Jagr 7 mil. Not this edition. I am not thrilled about Naslund, would have loved to get Orpik, but will take Redden. I would have gone after Green also. Sometimes players just need to move on, and that seems to be the case with the Jagr and Rangers. If he tears up the Russian league, boy do we look bad, but if he puts up the same numbers and effort as last year, we saved alot of fisnagles! The best part is only time will tell.

I would never stoop as low as to call a Devils fan what you called a Rangers fan. That's what makes the difference between a hockey fan and a fanatic!

I don't know where you got the money wanted, because money was never brought up in any of the "negotiations" as the series of phone tag was called. I give the 26 year old Jagr 7 mil. Not this edition. I am not thrilled about Naslund, would have loved to get Orpik, but will take Redden. I would have gone after Green also. Sometimes players just need to move on, and that seems to be the case with the Jagr and Rangers. If he tears up the Russian league, boy do we look bad, but if he puts up the same numbers and effort as last year, we saved alot of fisnagles! The best part is only time will tell.

I would never stoop as low as to call a Devils fan what you called a Rangers fan. That's what makes the difference between a hockey fan and a fanatic!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302008/sport...jagr_117886.htm

Here's the link for regarding the "money wanted". You may not want to give this edition's Jagr 7.3 mill, but the Rangers had no problem giving ANY aged Redden 6.5, so that logic just doesn't fly. Jagr wanted to come back to NY if he got a 2 year deal and was the "highest paid Ranger", even if by $1 (hence the article). The Rangers passed on Jagr, NOT the other way around.

As for calling Rangers fans what I do, it's well deserved. I will admit you seem much more reasonable than most Rangers fans, but as a group I've never seen more fair weathered and biased fans in my life. Now that the Rangers are respectable again, you see all the two sizes too small Richter, Leetch, Bure and Graves jersey's roaming the halls. My Ranger fan friends simply call those the "Yankee Years". You know, when the Rangers were so bad that you had to jump on the Yankees bandwagon. My apologies to all true hockey fans who followed the Rangers throughout those lean times , but I've found them to be a minority and fortunately another few years of Slats and it'll be time to break out the pinstripes yet again. :P

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06302008/sport...jagr_117886.htm

Here's the link for regarding the "money wanted". You may not want to give this edition's Jagr 7.3 mill, but the Rangers had no problem giving ANY aged Redden 6.5, so that logic just doesn't fly. Jagr wanted to come back to NY if he got a 2 year deal and was the "highest paid Ranger", even if by $1 (hence the article). The Rangers passed on Jagr, NOT the other way around.

As for calling Rangers fans what I do, it's well deserved. I will admit you seem much more reasonable than most Rangers fans, but as a group I've never seen more fair weathered and biased fans in my life. Now that the Rangers are respectable again, you see all the two sizes too small Richter, Leetch, Bure and Graves jersey's roaming the halls. My Ranger fan friends simply call those the "Yankee Years". You know, when the Rangers were so bad that you had to jump on the Yankees bandwagon. My apologies to all true hockey fans who followed the Rangers throughout those lean times , but I've found them to be a minority and fortunately another few years of Slats and it'll be time to break out the pinstripes yet again. :P

I have been a Rangers fan since 1967. So I have had only one great year, which I will be kind enough not to mention. I have never owned a jersey with a player name on it. Why waste a good sweater when the person gets traded. I don't follow baseball at all. But anyway, I still don't think Jagr deserved what he was asking for. As Brodeur is and should be on the Devils, Lundquist should be the highest paid Ranger. The Rangers could not score last year and the defense was one solid pair and a missmash of spare parts. Lundquist stole games the team should have lost. Having watched the majority of Rangers games, Jagr played his best against the Devils. The other 70 so games you didn't know if he was going to show up. And seeing him hiding on the bench during shoot-outs was enough to make my stomach turn. I was captain of my hockey team and NEVER wanted to be on the bench, and I never got dime one from playing. Maybe he will turn it on again, but I don't think the Rangers wanted to take that chance, and neither did any other NHL team, or at least I haven't heard of any offers pouring out for him. After all the years of throwing money at washed up players (please don't mention Naslund, brain fart there for the Rangers) maybe they will try to raise up some crop from the farm and actually let them play. And for all this, how much will it matter when the Islanders will win the Hummer Showdown! LOL

I have been a Rangers fan since 1967. So I have had only one great year, which I will be kind enough not to mention. I have never owned a jersey with a player name on it. Why waste a good sweater when the person gets traded. I don't follow baseball at all. But anyway, I still don't think Jagr deserved what he was asking for. As Brodeur is and should be on the Devils, Lundquist should be the highest paid Ranger. The Rangers could not score last year and the defense was one solid pair and a missmash of spare parts. Lundquist stole games the team should have lost. Having watched the majority of Rangers games, Jagr played his best against the Devils. The other 70 so games you didn't know if he was going to show up. And seeing him hiding on the bench during shoot-outs was enough to make my stomach turn. I was captain of my hockey team and NEVER wanted to be on the bench, and I never got dime one from playing. Maybe he will turn it on again, but I don't think the Rangers wanted to take that chance, and neither did any other NHL team, or at least I haven't heard of any offers pouring out for him. After all the years of throwing money at washed up players (please don't mention Naslund, brain fart there for the Rangers) maybe they will try to raise up some crop from the farm and actually let them play. And for all this, how much will it matter when the Islanders will win the Hummer Showdown! LOL

That Hummer Cup was a f'in travesty for NJ. I miss the days of the late 90's and early 00's when NJ lost intradivision games about as often Oprah missed a meal. You could hear the pain in Doc's voice as he went over the standings last year.

And I don't think the Naslund signing was a bad one (Redden--yes). Gomez will feed him to 70+ points next year. But with that said, seeing Naslund on the ice gives me about 20% of the concern of seeing Jagr on the ice. Mainly because nobody could knock that guy off the puck. Naslund won't have that luxury--and he's about to learn what East Coast hockey is all about. Space is a luxury he just won't have in this conference.

Let's get this season started!