Devils trade #9 pick in 2013 Draft to Vancouver for Cory Schneider

'7'

..nearly 100 games played, 98 to be exact.

Still though, throughout those 98 games, only 26 regulation losses! The guys got 53 wins over his last 79 starts.. pretty amazing stats over the last 3 years. What's-more, he hasn't even entered his prime yet! Seeing Schneider play any less than 30 games this season would be a letdown.

The Devils better do all they can here not to screw this up. I respect the fact that there needs to be regard dealing with Brodeur's dignity.. however, if Marty shows an unwillingness to bow out graciously after this season, then let him chase 700 on another team.

98 still isn't 100, and the post I replied to was "among goalies with at least 100 games..." I'm happy we got the guy, glad we seem to have a transition in the making, but same as I felt when the chatter around possibly grabbing Halak came up, I'd be happier if the guy had played 50 games in an NHL season at least once. If it turns out that he drops off a lot after 50 or 55 games in a season we will need a quality 2nd goalie who can handle 30 games just to get us to the playoffs. Maybe, like Marty in his prime, he can play 70 games per season year in and year out. Right now I am hoping so, and not taking it for granted. That is all :)

Edited by jim777

Quick question...we still have to forfeit our first round pick next year, right?  So that means two years in a row of possibly giving up a top 10 pick. I just hope Schnieder is starting within 4 years, otherrwise the swap doesnt make as much sense.

Yes although reports are coming out that Lou and the Devils will be appealing to have that penalty removed.

Yes although reports are coming out that Lou and the Devils will be appealing to have that penalty removed.

I haven't seen 1 legitimate report suggest that, Lou and TG said the team won't do that, and there isn't any likely scenario where the Devils could win an appeal anyway.

Quick question...we still have to forfeit our first round pick next year, right?  So that means two years in a row of possibly giving up a top 10 pick. I just hope Schnieder is starting within 4 years, otherrwise the swap doesnt make as much sense.

Schneider should be starting by the end of 2013-14, whether they want to call him the starter or not.

That's my only concern... Marty is 41 but looks like he could play until he's 44-45. That's not an exaggeration. Others have come close (i.e Ed Belfour). Will Schneider be ok riding the pine that long? Remains to be seen.

In comparison, Schneider has played at a high level, when he's played, the last 3 years.  Marty has played, at beast, acceptable, over a similar time frame.  I'm guessing Schneider is the de facto starter by the time the playoffs roll around this season.

That's my only concern... Marty is 41 but looks like he could play until he's 44-45. That's not an exaggeration. Others have come close (i.e Ed Belfour). Will Schneider be ok riding the pine that long? Remains to be seen.

They won't let Marty hold the team hostage. Once the games start being played, if Schneider outplays Marty as badly as some think he will there will be no question. You can't equate Marty wanting to play in his mid 40's with Marty starting in his mid 40's.

I haven't seen 1 legitimate report suggest that, Lou and TG said the team won't do that, and there isn't any likely scenario where the Devils could win an appeal anyway.

True, you're right, although his actions (or inactions) cause me to think possibly otherwise.

In comparison, Schneider has played at a high level, when he's played, the last 3 years.  Marty has played, at beast, acceptable, over a similar time frame.  I'm guessing Schneider is the de facto starter by the time the playoffs roll around this season.

https://twitter.com/RealBillWatters/status/352419123705290753

"Schneider 's exit from Vancouver was precipitated by off ice issues,rather than goaltending and financial as outlined in Gillis' rationale."

Oh God does that mean he's going to shoot someone gangland style?

According to Wysh who is just going by what he sees on twitter also, word is that Kesler was banging Schneider's gf.

Again this is just random twitter comments so take it with a grain of salt.

According to Wysh who is just going by what he sees on twitter also, word is that Kesler was banging Schneider's gf.

Again this is just random twitter comments so take it with a grain of salt.

Not only was it a random twitter comment, it's from a random twitter guy that doesn't post any insider stuff.  Much more likely it was a guy making a bad joke.

But since it's on twitter and making the rounds, we'll probably hear 2 years from now about how "everyone" knows it's true, etc... etc...

Not only was it a random twitter comment, it's from a random twitter guy that doesn't post any insider stuff.  Much more likely it was a guy making a bad joke.

But since it's on twitter and making the rounds, we'll probably hear 2 years from now about how "everyone" knows it's true, etc... etc...

Yeah I mean it is surely nonsense and wouldn't have even gotten attention unless Wysh made a mention of it.

He plays best when he's rested, and he can still bring it (just not as often as he used to). Plus, he's played 144 games in the last 3 years, Schneider has played 98. If Schneider can play 52 and let Marty get 30, we might be golden for next season at least.

There's no reason Marty should be starting anymore. He isn't owed anything, nor is he entitled to start. Marty's been starting games he shouldn't have been playing the past few years, because of his legacy alone. We don't owe him anything else. He's 41 and should not be starting most games over an elite goalie. It's just silly.

Brodeur has started 248 games over the last 5 years. That's an average of 49 starts per season. (since 2008-09) So why would it be so difficult to say; Look.. you're going to start 47 games, and Schneider will start 35. -??

Ideally, I agree with you. I'd also like to see CS play 50 games, and Marty 32. But for at least this season, I can deal with this.

If Brodeur's ego pushes him to play anything over 55 games however (regardless how close he is to 700) it'll be a crime.

Brodeur has started 248 games over the last 5 years. That's an average of 49 starts per season. (since 2008-09) So why would it be so difficult to say; Look.. you're going to start 47 games, and Schneider will start 35. -??

Ideally, I agree with you. I'd also like to see CS play 50 games, and Marty 32. But for at least this season, I can deal with this.

If Brodeur's ego pushes him to play anything over 55 games however (regardless how close he is to 700) it'll be a crime.

Why would Brodeur's ego push him to start games?  He isn't the coach.  He's going to get 30+ starts if he's healthy - like Lou's been saying, there are 20 or 22 back to backs.  Neither guy should be starting both of those if both are healthy unless Schneider's really on a roll.  

DeBoer's already shown he's not afraid to sit Brodeur at critical times.

Why would Brodeur's ego push him to start games?  He isn't the coach.  He's going to get 30+ starts if he's healthy - like Lou's been saying, there are 20 or 22 back to backs.  Neither guy should be starting both of those if both are healthy unless Schneider's really on a roll.  

DeBoer's already shown he's not afraid to sit Brodeur at critical times.

I was thinking about this the other day, but can't remember this being true. Any specific examples?

Edited by devilsrule33