Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

I'm guessing there's no penalty... the transaction is just invalid. You have 1M cap room, you try to trade a draft pick for a guy making 2M, the league won't let you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is 99% true. the penalties come when you're caught misrepresenting revenue (or payroll)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I think Florida intentionally overpaid. These guys knew they weren't getting this kind of money anywhere else, Florida has to hit the salary floor, and they don't want guys who are going to clog up the roster when they want to begin to win. I think there will be a lot of teams intentionally overpaying who have no intention of winning this year but want to bring in a 'name' for the fans. I don't think it sets the market though - the market is determined by cap space remaining, not what other players have signed for.

both had good 03-04 seasons, though you have to wonder if they can still do it at 39-40. Nieuwendyk might revert back to his Devil form as a waste of space. They might get 30 goals between the two if they're lucky.

Ugh. That is just awful. Sue, Keenan isn't the coach. That job falls on Jacques Martin. True. Florida needs leadership. But this reeks of a Rangeresque kind of move. Man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt say this is awful or Rangere$que.....Rangerse$que is outbidding yourself on a 31-33 yr old UFA that is declining and paying him like he is 27...well that WAS the Ranger$ way...not so much now.

Florida is adding experience to compliment a group of younger players, not a terrible move...will it get them to the Finals in 06? I doubt it....can it help guys like Weiss mature into better players? Definately.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, they were only allowed to START negotiations today. If you were a player would you accept the first offer you saw?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely not....

I bet more of the activity starts this time next week..but thats just a guess.

Wild ink free-agent Nazarov

TSN.ca Staff

8/1/2005 7:07:21 PM

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (Ticker) - The Minnesota Wild dipped into the free agent market Monday, signing unrestricted free agent left wing Andrei Nazarov.

Terms were not disclosed.

Known for his toughness, Nazarov spent his last two seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes. In 2003-04, the Russian native played in 33 games, tallying just three points and 125 penalty minutes.

"Andrei could really add to the team's physical character and make us that much more tougher to play against," Wild general manager Doug Risebrough said. "He has a real chance to make an impact here."

Nazarov, 31, also has played for San Jose, Tampa Bay, Calgary, Boston and Anaheim. He has collected 53 goals and 124 points to go along with 1,403 penalty minutes in 569 career games.

I think it's a very good move for the Panthers too.  There's Four Stanley Cups and 250 playoff games at least between the two of them.  What better guys to bring into a locker room?  These guys love the game more than life itself.

This isn't Rangersesque.  Rangersesque would be signing a guy like Nedved to get yourself over the cap number.  I think Keenan's brought in two solid veterans here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When they're taking up too much ice-time from younger players, don't be surprised.

This isn't exactly the place for it, but did anyone else take notice of the Minnesota-Ottawa deal of a few days back? Minnesota picked up Todd White for a draft pick. The Wild have 2/3rds of a very solid checking line with White and Walz. Anyone know who plays the other wing for them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20219 :)

This isn't exactly the place for it, but did anyone else take notice of the Minnesota-Ottawa deal of a few days back? Minnesota picked up Todd White for a draft pick. The Wild have 2/3rds of a very solid checking line with White and Walz. Anyone know who plays the other wing for them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd probably say Pascal Dupuis.

Kings ink Kostopoulous to two-year deal: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132162

Who?

I think everyone is so hungry for news, TSN is on the verge of making it up. Next they will be announcing when teams sign equipment managers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

super AHL dude. He's a career AHL guy who's made his name mostly on teh pens, then he got traded to the monarchs...and apparently he wants to stay there.

Nazarov...i saw him in the AHL...he didn't do anything.

I think it's a very good move for the Panthers too.  There's Four Stanley Cups and 250 playoff games at least between the two of them.  What better guys to bring into a locker room?  These guys love the game more than life itself.

This isn't Rangersesque.  Rangersesque would be signing a guy like Nedved to get yourself over the cap number.  I think Keenan's brought in two solid veterans here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When they're taking up too much ice-time from younger players, don't be surprised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too much ice time? It's two players. There's 10 other forwards who have to get ice time. Let's see if you can name who they will be offhand.

I don't think young players should get first line ice time anywhere, unless they are superstars in the making. This 'rebuilding' nonsense that people obsess over, I don't understand it. There is PLENTY of ice for young players there. There is plenty of time to develop them. Jacques Martin developed plenty of them in Ottawa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think derek was saying that the young players would be getting top line icetime. But that roberts and nieuwy will be taking every crucial thing and hogging up 20 minutes a game.

weiss, horton, stewart, olesz(?), kolnik, joiknen(i can't spell his name he's 26 right? thorntons age i believe), huselies(if he's still around)....thats 8. good enough.

I think derek said that thinking of Keenan as a coach who is known for playing one top line and one top goalie only. But Martin is a great coach, who should do fine with these guys. He helped make chara, redden, and phillips the players they are now.

Oh man, hope he enjoys his money. That has to be one of the least desirable places to play right now.

Just thought of something......Foote's getting $4.5 million a year. That sets the bar for Nieder. He's not settling for anything less than $6 mil.

Edited by Z-Man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.