2013-14 schedule thread

MadDog2020

The most apt name for that division would be the NorthSouth Division. But that would reflect the NHL's idiocy to a T and the NHL knows it, so it would never happen.

Haha I think I'm just going to start calling it the NorthSouth Division now.

Just call them the Eastern Division (there's already a Central after all), problem solved.  I guess they didn't want to have an East without a West though, and they wanted an Atlantic/Pacific combo.

That would seem to make sense, but I guess they thought it would be confusing with an Eastern Division and an Eastern Conference, and you can easily just say first place in the "Atlantic" or "Metropolitan" and it is clear you are talking about first in their division, but if there was an Eastern Division, you'd have to always specify whether you're talking about the division or the conference.

http://deadspin.com/the-new-nhl-division-names-have-been-revealed-one-of-t-839430453

Despite our hopes, we will not be getting a Flortheast division. Bummer. What we will be getting are the Pacific, Central, Atlantic, and Metropolitan(?) divisions. Yes, that's three distinct geographical locations and one word that can be used to describe any large city. Good job, NHL.

Oh yea

Haha I think I'm just going to start calling it the NorthSouth Division now.

That would seem to make sense, but I guess they thought it would be confusing with an Eastern Division and an Eastern Conference, and you can easily just say first place in the "Atlantic" or "Metropolitan" and it is clear you are talking about first in their division, but if there was an Eastern Division, you'd have to always specify whether you're talking about the division or the conference.

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, then just go back to Wales and Campbell conferences then, the trophies are still called that.

The gf and I have finalized our travel schedule:

October 26 - Devils @ Boston

December 7 - Flyers @ Dallas

December 21 - Devils @ Washington

She gets the trip that requires flying but I get 2 games so its all good.. Only thing that sucks is she's a CPA so we can only do games from mid October through mid January

Our goal is to see one of our teams at every NHL arena.. So far we've done:

Devils @ Flyers

Flyers @ Devils

Flyers @ Rangers

Devils @ Islanders

Devils @ Penguins

Flyers @ Senators

Yeah I thought of that after I posted, then just go back to Wales and Campbell conferences then, the trophies are still called that.

I'd be okay with that but then they'd be changing the names of the divisions as well as the conferences, at least this way they only had to tweak the division names.

Think I may have asked this before, but what arena, in your opinion, is fairly close and would be considered mostly docile towards opposing fans? I'd love to take a trip with the wife and maybe even the kids to see a game this year. Something we talk about every year and never get to do.

I've been to Pittsburgh, Boston, and MSG. I never have a problem. Fans are usually pretty friendly, unless you either try to start something or are stupid enough to escalate with a drunk.

Found this pretty interesting... Looks like we got shafted this year. Despite the 22 back-to-backs, we're traveling about 5k miles more than usual. It's also obvious why Detroit and Columbus wanted to move divisions.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/7/19/4539874/2013-2014-nhl-schedule-super-travel-miles-back-to-back-games

Edited by David Puddy

Found this pretty interesting... Looks like we got shafted this year. Despite the 22 back-to-backs, we're traveling about 5k miles more than usual. It's also obvious why Detroit and Columbus wanted to move divisions.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/7/19/4539874/2013-2014-nhl-schedule-super-travel-miles-back-to-back-games

We have a boatload of weekend home games, and home games in the second half of the season. If anything, the league is trying to help us out. Back to backs are just a result of getting these dates.

Think I may have asked this before, but what arena, in your opinion, is fairly close and would be considered mostly docile towards opposing fans? I'd love to take a trip with the wife and maybe even the kids to see a game this year. Something we talk about every year and never get to do.

I have been to every arena in the Eastern Conference except Tampa, Buffalo, and Columbus.  Never had a problem anywhere.