2013 Yankees Season

thefiestygoat

OK Robinson, you went and took the money, not going to judge you on it, it's an insane amount of coin and I can certainly understand why someone would take it, but there's no reason to be a complete dick about it.  The Yankees didn't respect you?  They weren't trying?  Why, because they didn't get stupid like the Mariners did?  Because the Yankees dared to offer you a terrific deal that actually showed some measure of restraint?  $25 million per year for 7 years?  Yeah, those Yankees are sure unappreciative cheapskates.  Keep busting it down the first base line you fvcking jerk.   

Just another dummy who'd be doing some extremely menial if he couldn't swing a bat.  What an a$$hole.  I'm not even a Yankee fan and now I hate the guy.   

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10125503/robinson-cano-seattle-mariners-finalize-huge-contract

Am I also not wrong that Cano was the one who said that he cared more, or at least as much, about winning the WBC than the World Series?

Just like school in the summertime, no class.

I'm pretty meh towards the Roberts signing. Decent gamble to take at $2M but I'm not banking on him to even stay healthy considering his last full season was 2009. Over the last 4 years: 192 G 809 PA .246/.310/.359 .297 wOBA 81 wRC+ 1.0 WAR. Still think we see a lot of Johnson/Anna at 2B during the season (hopefully Nunez in AAA). I'm still hoping the Yankees can re-sign Reynolds for 3B and it would be awesome if A-Rod is allowed to play at some point this year.

I prefer giving Thornton 2/7 rather than Logan 3/16.5. Thornton may be declining but he's at least more proven than Cabral and still can throw heat (94.3 mph FB). Over the last 3 years his numbers are actually similar if not slightly better than Logan's vs. LHB. Solid signing.

• 4 weeks later...

So between the New York Post's tracker on Project 189, the official Yankee depth chart on MLB,com and some of my own research, here's what our roster currently looks like with salaries:

C: Brian McCann ($17 million)

1B: Mark Teixeira ($22.5 million)

2B: Brendan Ryan ($1.67 million)

SS: Derek Jeter ($12.81 million)

3B: Kelly Johnson ($3 million)

LF: Brett Gardner ($5.6 million)

CF: Jacoby Ellsbury ($21.857 million)

RF: Carlos Beltran ($15 million)

DH: Alfonso Soriano ($4 million)

SP: CC Sabathia ($24.4 million), Hiroki Kuroda ($16.085 million), Ivan Nova ($3.3 million), Warren/Vidal/Pineda/Phelps (2 of these)

RP: David Robertson ($5.215 million), Matt Thornton ($3.5 million), Shawn Kelley ($1.765 million),

P. Claiborne, C. Cabral, D. Betances, D. Huff

Bench-OF:

Ichiro Suzuki ($6.5 million)

Bench-IF:

Brian Roberts ($2 million), Eduardo Nunez, Francisco Cervelli ($700,000)

Suspended:

Alex Rodriguez ($3.156 million)

Names without salaries are assumed to be making the 2013 MLB minimum of 490k, so figures may be slightly off ( I suspect Nunez in particular makes more), but if that's our 25-man roster than our payroll after all expenses turns out to be about $174 million.

I'm not sure how we project on any projection system but I feel like we need more, especially as Starting Pitching goes.  It just kind of underscores for us how much we need either one internal SP to make a jump this year or how much we need to bring in at least one starter for us to compete.  It also wouldn't hurt if we got 4 WAR's worth or more out of Tex for 100-125 games.

Using the NY Post tracker and adding in the estimates for benefits and call ups, I have the Yankees at $185,658,000. Obviously if they get Tanaka the whole things goes out the window. Even without him it still seems like they are likely to surpass it. I'd be surprised if they find a way to get under it.

Tanaka to the Yankees 7/$155 with an opt out after four year.  Kiss $189 good bye.

In the end, it's not my money and there's otherwise no cap, so doesn't really matter to me if he fizzles (plus the fact that baseball to me is now purely about immediate entertainment rather, and is no longer a championship or bust proposition).

I mean, it's not my money, but $155M (technically $175M, accounting for the posting fee) for a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch in North America and doesn't project as an ace seems like a lot. Not one bit surprised at the terms he got, though. 

In any event, the AL East should be a lot fun this year. Every team in the division has at least a fair case to make the playoffs.

Edited by nmigliore

I mean, it's not my money, but $155M for a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch in North America and doesn't project as an ace seems like a lot. Not one bit surprised at the terms he got, though. 

It's funny, in a lot of ways Cashman isn't really that much better that Sather.  He throws the most money at the most obvious names.  Often it works, sometimes it doesn't, but even when it doesn't, to ownership's credit, they never punish him by not allowing him to spend his way out of mistakes (Igawa, Pavano, etc). 

Anything can happen in the playoffs these day in MLB, but I think there's definitely GMs in this sport who could do a lot more with Yankees' resources and have more success (and probably for less coin).  Cashman was smart not to leave...he needs the Yankees a lot more than they need him.  

+1 Ruben turned Philly into a hell hole. Trading Victereno was bad. Unsure about Pence. They'd be dumb to move Brown now to. But watch it happen.

Brian Cashman is a genius compared to Phillies GM Ruben Amaro...unfortunately.

Edited by CarterforPresident

It's funny, in a lot of ways Cashman isn't really that much better that Sather. He throws the most money at the most obvious names. Often it works, sometimes it doesn't, but even when it doesn't, to ownership's credit, they never punish him by not allowing him to spend his way out of mistakes (Igawa, Pavano, etc).

Anything can happen in the playoffs these day in MLB, but I think there's definitely GMs in this sport who could do a lot more with Yankees' resources and have more success (and probably for less coin). Cashman was smart not to leave...he needs the Yankees a lot more than they need him.

Cashman would have had the same amount of success as Sather had the major pieces not been in place when he arrived -- Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mariano, Tino, O'Neill.

Sather has not been as awful for the Rangers as a lot of people think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Cashman's a better GM than people give him credit for. He does have a big advantage due to the Steinbrenner's money. On the flipside he also doesn't have complete control and has to walk a fine line with Hal, Hank, and Levine's personalities. I think there is something to be said for someone lasting that long in that sort of situation. At least he never left the organization in a gorilla suit.

Cashman has had some bad moves but I'd say the good far outweighs the bad. Let's not forget that A-Rod part 2 was all Levine after Cashman wanted no part of him. When it comes to trades, Cashman has made some solid trades too in recent years. CJ Henry and junk for Abreu and Lidle in 2006, Kennard for Molina in 2007, Betemit and junk for Swisher in 2008 which was an absolute steal, junk for Hinske in 2009, and you can say that the Yankees got solid value out of Granderson and Logan in their respective trades, and A-Rod part 1 was a pretty fantastic deal. Of course you can go back to the Mike Lowell, Lilly for Weaver, and Vazquez part 1 trades but more often than not he usually ends up on the right side of things.

Happy to have Tanaka even though I don't get too worked up over Japanese players. Honestly, I'm more excited about what this move represents than the actual move itself. It is crazy money for someone who has never pitched stateside but that's the nature of the game nowadays. Yankees SP prospect pool is so weak that this move is a necessity even if he is just middle of the rotation. I think he'll see out the 7/155 since I'm not too high on him and doubt he will be in a position to use the opt out to make it a 4/88, but if that does happen I'd be thrilled. That would mean they got his age 25-28 seasons with productive value and wouldn't have to worry on decline years.

I think Cashman's a better GM than people give him credit for. He does have a big advantage due to the Steinbrenner's money. On the flipside he also doesn't have complete control and has to walk a fine line with Hal, Hank, and Levine's personalities. I think there is something to be said for someone lasting that long in that sort of situation. At least he never left the organization in a gorilla suit.

Cashman has had some bad moves but I'd say the good far outweighs the bad. Let's not forget that A-Rod part 2 was all Levine after Cashman wanted no part of him. When it comes to trades, Cashman has made some solid trades too in recent years. CJ Henry and junk for Abreu and Lidle in 2006, Kennard for Molina in 2007, Betemit and junk for Swisher in 2008 which was an absolute steal, junk for Hinske in 2009, and you can say that the Yankees got solid value out of Granderson and Logan in their respective trades, and A-Rod part 1 was a pretty fantastic deal. Of course you can go back to the Mike Lowell, Lilly for Weaver, and Vazquez part 1 trades but more often than not he usually ends up on the right side of things.

I don't blame Cashman at all for ARod Part Deux...I know that decision came from above. 

Wasn't Abreu a salary dump by the Phils?  That's another area where Cashman has a distinct advantage...the ability to take on big salaries and cash in on other teams' dumps, where sometimes he's the only bidder, as no one else wants to take on that player's contract. 

Every GM in every sport makes some bad moves...no one bats 1.000 as a GM.  There's slamdunk moves on paper that, for whatever the reasons, don't work out, and the GM takes the hit, but depending on the GM, a lot of times you can at least understand WHY he made such moves. 

I don't think we'll ever see it, but I'd like to see what Cashman would do with a mid-market payroll, where the top-tier free agents aren't always available to him, and he isn't free to spend as much as he wants.

Wasn't Abreu a salary dump by the Phils?  That's another area where Cashman has a distinct advantage...the ability to take on big salaries and cash in on other teams' dumps, where sometimes he's the only bidder, as no one else wants to take on that player's contract. 

I don't think we'll ever see it, but I'd like to see what Cashman would do with a mid-market payroll, where the top-tier free agents aren't always available to him, and he isn't free to spend as much as he wants.

The Abreu trade was partially a salary dump/partially a re-stock of the farm for the Phillies. At the time CJ Henry was a legitimate prospect that was regarded well. The Phillies originally wanted Phil Hughes but Cashman was able to hold them off. I know Hughes will go down as a disappointment in NY but he was a key part of the 2009 team out of the bullpen. The Yankees don't draft well but Cashman has been able to turn flawed prospects into useful pieces, sometimes in salary dumps, sometimes in outright theft like the Swisher trade.

I'm surprised Cashman never left to become a president of an organization with full control in a mid-market. I wouldn't be shocked if he wanted to but the Yankees just paid him too well not to leave.