Jagr Signs 1 Year Deal With Devils

Rogan The Goat

$2 million in base salary on Jagr's 1-year contract with Devils. Additional potential $2 million in games played bonuses.

I like this base contract, but giving him incentive to play hurt and potentially make him useless before the playoffs (since he doesn't get paid via contract for this) is questionable.  

Edited by MantaRay

Next offseason is a crossraods for this organization.  Could be an offseason where we have a ton of cap space and cash to spend on some big name FA's, or one where we begin the transition with the younger players (which will likely lead us to the Connor McDavid sweepstakes, rather than a chase for the Cup).

At some point, this team needs to get younger and faster.  With Brodeur likely gone, I personally think that next offseason is the beginning of the full rebuild of this roster.

Schneider's not sticking around for a full rebuild, and I don't think Lou gave up a 9th-overall pick for a two-year rental.  For better or for worse, I think this team (especially as long as Lou's here) is going to try to stay in contention and avoid a crash-and-burn, whatever it takes.  Doesn't mean a crash-and-burn won't or can't happen, but will be a 2010-11 unforeseen kind of event...not by design.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I like this base contract, but giving him incentive to play hurt and potentially make him useless before the playoffs (since he doesn't get paid via contract for this) is questionable.  

Chris Johnston @reporterchris 55m

Jaromir Jagr gets a $250,000 bonus for every five games played from 10 to 45. That makes up $2M in bonuses from #NJDevils.

------------------------

They really kick in pretty easily.  Unless he suffers a major injury that keeps him out half the season, then he won't have to push himself through minor injuries that he shouldn't play through.

Jaromir Jagr gets a $250,000 bonus for every five games played from 10 to 45. That makes up $2M in bonuses from #NJDevils.

------------------------

They really kick in pretty easily.  Unless he suffers a major injury that keeps him out half the season, then he won't have to push himself through minor injuries that he shouldn't play through.

Good, even if they keep him out of back-to-backs to keep Jagr fresh, it won't affect the bonuses if he plays 60-65 games.  Keeps Jagr happy, I guess.

------------------------

So this is really a way to defer the cap hit until next season then, right?

So this is really a way to defer the cap hit until next season then, right?

Not really. It's more to add cap flexibility. The CAN defer money to next season now, if it makes sense, but I think it's more likely the Devils are under the cap including bonuses this season.

They can defer $3.3 million of cap money related to bonuses to next year if need be:

$2 mil Jagr

$1 mil Zidlicky

$300k Olesz

If all three cap hits are taken this year, then technically we still have about $5 million left under the cap this year to sign Henrique (and any other moves).

Edited by Z-Man

It would be nice if Jagr could do for Henrique what he did for Giroux, I definitely think that'll be a pairing for most of the season. Henrique is a smart hockey player and a natural goal scorer, he does the little things right. Jagr is a smart player who knows how to pass/make plays. I think that would be a good combination.

Chances are that Lou decided to go with Jagr over Brunner because Jagr was the 'safer' choice.  I'm thinking that Lou would rather look at shorter term deals, because Brunner asked for too long and maybe too much.  Brunner could very well be available next year or head back to Die Schweiz. 

To add, it will be very interesting if we have a top line of Elias-Henrique-Jagr.  The Czech factor on this team is very cool.  I read on NHL.com that Jagr and Elias are the 1st and 2nd career high scoring Czech forwards in the league.  Plus Jagr didn't have a terrible year last year. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I guess I'm in the minority around here on this one. Jagr is old, holds on to the puck too long and gets tired quickly -- or at least that's how it looked to me once he landed with the B's last season.

I hope it works out for us, but I'm skeptical.

Roster is getting crowded. I wonder if this means the end of Gionta in NJ? I know the coaches love him but he's on a 2 way deal this year unlike Tedenby and Barch.

I don't think they'll let the 500-600k difference between Gionta in the minors and Tedenby/Barch in the minors factor in to what they do rosterwise, not considering how they're already going to be close to a cap celing team anyway.

I don't think they'll let the 500-600k difference between Gionta in the minors and Tedenby/Barch in the minors factor in to what they do rosterwise, not considering how they're already going to be close to a cap celing team anyway.

Part of my thinking (wishful I know) is Olesz earning a starting spot and bumping Gionta to the press box. I could be wrong but hasn't triumph stated he doesn't think NJ will be a cap team? They seem to really be pushing towards the limit now.

Part of my thinking (wishful I know) is Olesz earning a starting spot and bumping Gionta to the press box. I could be wrong but hasn't triumph stated he doesn't think NJ will be a cap team? They seem to really be pushing towards the limit now.

Agreed, but a little tweaking on CapGeek shows that we can add Brunner even and fit him under the cap,  with Tedenby(noooo), Gionta or Barch in the minors, he can take Olesz spot in the lineup. 

Elias-Henrique(2.5m)-Jagr

Clowe-Zajac-Ryder

Brunner(4m)-Loktionov-Zubrus

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Olesz, Tedenby, Barch

It's a stretch, but boy, I'd have a ton of confidence in our forward depth.  I have a good feeling about it even if we wouldn't sign Brunner

I have to admit, I was dead set against this as didn't think Jagr would take less than $4 million base contract and it would preclude us from signing anyone else.  I was hoping no Jagr would allow some of the kids to get a chance to step-up.    But at $2 million, plus, it's actually a nice situation.   If anyone can revive Jagr, its Elias and we still have some cushion moving forward.    Never doubt the powers of Lou.  

It would be nice if Jagr could do for Henrique what he did for Giroux, I definitely think that'll be a pairing for most of the season. Henrique is a smart hockey player and a natural goal scorer, he does the little things right. Jagr is a smart player who knows how to pass/make plays. I think that would be a good combination.

Turning Henrique into Giroux would be amazing.

I have to admit, I was dead set against this as didn't think Jagr would take less than $4 million base contract and it would preclude us from signing anyone else.  I was hoping no Jagr would allow some of the kids to get a chance to step-up.    But at $2 million, plus, it's actually a nice situation.   If anyone can revive Jagr, its Elias and we still have some cushion moving forward.    Never doubt the powers of Lou.  

"If anyone can revive Jagr, it's Elias" What? I think Elias and Jagr could work, but Jagr doesn't need Elias' help for a revival. He has been a fantastic player for the past two seasons in the NHL. The guy has 89 points in his last 118 regular season games at the age of 39 and 40. That is historically insane.

I think Jagr could help Elias as much as Elias could help Jagr.

• Like 3

Agreed, but a little tweaking on CapGeek shows that we can add Brunner even and fit him under the cap,  with Tedenby(noooo), Gionta or Barch in the minors, he can take Olesz spot in the lineup. 

Elias-Henrique(2.5m)-Jagr

Clowe-Zajac-Ryder

Brunner(4m)-Loktionov-Zubrus

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Olesz, Tedenby, Barch

It's a stretch, but boy, I'd have a ton of confidence in our forward depth.  I have a good feeling about it even if we wouldn't sign Brunner

In that scenario they'd also have to send Tedenby or Barch down since carrying 15 forwards on the NHL roster is too much. I'd like Brunner too but they'd certainly be pushing the limit. Plus he'd be either the 49 or 50 contract on the reserve list. I guess the Devils are going to be a cap team going forward and I am really happy about that though.

Lou confirmed that Jagr will be wearing #68. You may order your shirts/jerseys now.

I wish they were quicker with the shirts.. Definitely buying one.. I just hope they stop printing them with the smaller font that, for some reason, started appearing on the shirts this year