2009 MLB Postseason Thread

nmigliore

Scioscia should leave Weaver in the game to close it out, especially with Teixeira and A-Rod due up next inning.

yeah but then even if weaver would have been great, Fuentes's confidence would have been shot completely and you'd have no closer no matter how long you last in the playoffs.

Oh well, Fuentes got it done

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 2 errors committed by Kendrick/Kazmir pretty much killed their shot at an rally.

Phillies vs Yankees World Series is here.

:puke:

Pretty much all the Angels errors in this series did them in. Congratulations Yankee$.

No onto the "Little League" World Series where both sandlot, bandbox stadiums could see many homeruns and could break some records.

I know this must be hell for Mets fans, but besides representing the city of Philadelphia and playing for the Phillies...does anyone actually have anything against this team? They all seem really likable and easy to cheer for.

It's just hard for me to root for them. It's like rooting for the rangers, something I just can't do.

Neither starter was very good tonight; Hamels continued his terrible 2009 playoffs, Pettitte with a gutsy 6 innings. Philly bullpen wasn't any good either (every reliever besides Madson gave up a run) while the Yankee bullpen did a solid job of shutting it down, although I really didn't think Rivera was needed. But kudos to Girardi for putting Swisher in the lineup and calling on Matsui to pinch hit. Jayson Werth continues to show why hes one of the more underrated players in baseball. Yankees have a solid shot at putting this series away if they can beat Joe Blanton, which is do-able.

And as if it wasn't already known, Howard + LHP = lol.

Edited by nmigliore

Congrats to the Yankees.

Ryan Howard showed why he can be beatable - hes a joke vs LHP. So much for Rollins backing up his word - "Phils in 5" - hitting .217 in the series and being a complete non-factor. Victorino, Feliz, Hamels, and Lidge also forgot to show up.

Edited by nmigliore

Congrats to the Yankees.

Ryan Howard showed why he can be beatable - hes a joke vs LHP. So much for Rollins backing up his word - "Phils in 5" - hitting .217 in the series and being a complete non-factor. Victorino, Feliz, Hamels, and Lidge also forgot to show up.

true...but ultimately this entire season, playoffs, and WS came down to one thing.

Payroll.

The Phillies have done a great job scouting and developing talent, bringing in the right middle of the rung UFA's, making great under the radar trades. They are a better franchise than the Yankees and a better true team than the Yankees (and Mets)

One team just mindlessly buys up the best players year after year. This year the Yankees threw so much sh!t at the wall it stuck. In order for it to be an even series the Phillies need $100 mil more of talent.

How can anybody be impressed, this was just one giant real life video game simulation

Edited by '7'

true...but ultimately this entire season, playoffs, and WS came down to one thing.

Payroll.

The Phillies have done a great job scouting and developing talent, bringing in the right middle of the rung UFA's, making great under the radar trades. They are a better franchise than the Yankees and a better true team than the Yankees (and Mets)

One team just mindlessly buys up the best players year after year. This year the Yankees threw so much sh!t at the wall it stuck. In order for it to be an even series the Phillies need $100 mil more of talent.

How can anybody be impressed, this was just one giant real life video game simulation

I'm pretty much neutral on payrolls. If they want to spend a ton of money, let them. There are plenty of other ways to build a great franchise - smart trades, good drafting, smart scrap heap pickups etc - and the Phillies are a perfect example of that right now. If the Yankees' strategy is to spend heavily, so be it. If the Marlins strategy is to spend cheaply, so be it. It doesn't bother me. The Yankees having ownership that is willing to put top dollar into their team while other ownerships pocket the revenue. I just focus on what my team does.

Edited by nmigliore

Payroll.

Typical copout by Yankee haters. How did that payroll help them the last 9 years? Not much. It takes a bit more to win than payroll. Chemistry, management, all of this matters just as much, if not more. What about 81-95? The Yankees were the top payroll or near the top every one of those years and for many of them, stunk.

So what do you suggest? The Yankees shouldnt spend money when they have it? Sour f'in grapes.

Get ready though, its going to be more of the same when we bring in Matt Holliday (or Jason Bay) and another starter in a couple of weeks!!! Bring on #28!

Typical copout by Yankee haters. How did that payroll help them the last 9 years? Not much. It takes a bit more to win than payroll. Chemistry, management, all of this matters just as much, if not more. What about 81-95? The Yankees were the top payroll or near the top every one of those years and for many of them, stunk.

So what do you suggest? The Yankees shouldnt spend money when they have it? Sour f'in grapes.

Get ready though, its going to be more of the same when we bring in Matt Holliday (or Jason Bay) and another starter in a couple of weeks!!! Bring on #28!

...not much you can do but laugh. Since the Yankees won the World Series 2 days ago, my cell/e-mail/facebook/everything have been flooded with payroll talks. My buddy called me from Maryland last night ranting about the same schtick. (I hadn't spoken to him in a little over 4 months) The call was originally intended as being congratulatory. After about a half hour hearing him vent on how the system is unfair, and how his beloved Orioles are never going to win anything because of this... I said then don't watch. Period. It really is as simple as that. If you think that your team has a disadvantage going into every single season, and that there are "Many things MLB has to fix"... send them a message. Just don't watch. :noclue:

...not much you can do but laugh. Since the Yankees won the World Series 2 days ago, my cell/e-mail/facebook/everything have been flooded with payroll talks. My buddy called me from Maryland last night ranting about the same schtick. (I hadn't spoken to him in a little over 4 months) The call was originally intended as being congratulatory. After about a half hour hearing him vent on how the system is unfair, and how his beloved Orioles are never going to win anything because of this... I said then don't watch. Period. It really is as simple as that. If you think that your team has a disadvantage going into every single season, and that there are "Many things MLB has to fix"... send them a message. Just don't watch. :noclue:

I look at it like this:

Baseball doesn't have a salary cap and they are likely to never have one because of the way the league is set up and how powerful the players union is (in comparison to say the NFL, which has a horrible players union and is the definition of an "owners league"). Its also worth noting how much more interest there is in the game when teams like the Yankees are good. There's people watching to see the Yankees win, and undoubtedly more watching to see the Yankees lose.

The thing about the NFL though is that the majority of NFL teams are filthy stinking rich (3 NFL teams are in the top 5 in the WORLD in terms of value and something like 6 in the top 10) because of the way the TV contracts are set up (not to mention the NFL is the richest league in the entire world), so even next year, when the NFL is likely un-capped, the majority of teams, even the Lions, will be able to compete for the top free agents. Its also worth noting that the Yankees are a very desirable team to play for and not just because of the paychecks. NY, the tradition, all of this comes into players' minds, or at least thats what they say.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/13/nfl-cowboys-yankees-biz-media-cx_tvr_0113values_slide_7.html?thisSpeed=15000

Secondly, the Yankees are easily the richest baseball franchise and 5th in the world in terms of revenue encompassing all sports and there is not one other baseball team in the top 10. The Yankees take that money they make and invest a good portion of it back into the team. That is what seperates them from the Royals of the world, who don't (or cant) re-invest back into the team, which is funny, because even the Twins are able to compete.

This "buying a title" is a bunch of BS. All teams are trying to buy a title, but not all have the purse that the Yankees do. Sports are about making money before anything. This goes for all professional sports.

However, if winning was just about the money, the f'in Nationals wouldn't have beaten the Yankees earlier this year and the Redskins would have a Super Bowl under Dan Snyder.