• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

I was very hopeful until a couple of minutes ago after I read the Fehr memo. I just want a decision made one way or the other as to whether or not we're having a season this year. I'm so tired of reading this garbage everyday.

This is going to be a mess tonight. Accusation that Fehr withheld NHL's offer from PA is very serious. Would expect that to be addressed...

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC)

November 10, 2012

"This is going to be a mess tonight. Accusation that Fehr withheld NHL's offer from PA is very serious. Would expect that to be addressed..."

@FriedgeHNIC Vibe I got, even as early as Tuesday, was that nobody on #NHL side expected this week to end well.

— Rob Rossi (@RobRossi_Trib)

November 10, 2012

"@FriedgeHNIC Vibe I got, even as early as Tuesday, was that nobody on #NHL side expected this week to end well."

Angry comments from both sides, too. This is really going to test the process.

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC)

November 10, 2012

"Angry comments from both sides, too. This is really going to test the process."

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Told that PA proposed that players get last year's share plus 5 pct this yr regardless of schedule length/actual revenue...

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Last year's share was 1.883B...plus 5 pct would be $1.977B...would likely eat 65-67 pct of revenue in 66-68 game season.

I hope this is not true but the players want a full season worth of pay with a 5 percent increase during a shortened season...Wow.

Edited by Zubie#8

Any sympathy I had for the players evaporated reading that. How you have the audacity to ask the owners to bear all the burden of the lockout when you're just as obstinate is beyond me. Tri can try to talk us into believing this is all sound and fury but these guys have too much ego to concede on anything. 2012-13 is going bye bye.

These are some weird leaks. I'd guess they were coming from the NHL's side since they all make the NHLPA look bad, but Brooks is probably the staunchest Pro-NHLPA beatwriter out there. I think we're missing the whole story, regardless it certainly seems like the NHL is frustrated and lashing out.

Any sympathy I had for the players evaporated reading that. How you have the audacity to ask the owners to bear all the burden of the lockout when you're just as obstinate is beyond me. Tri can try to talk us into believing this is all sound and fury but these guys have too much ego to concede on anything. 2012-13 is going bye bye.

It's NOVEMBER 9TH. NOVEMBER. If it were February, I would agree with you. There are 3 more months during which to bargain. What's said doesn't matter, the numbers are what ultimately matter.

Furthermore, the players said all along that they would play under the old CBA, and I believe had the NHL wanted to extend that CBA for multiple years, the players would have agreed to do so. The NHL offered, before the lockout, a ridiculous first offer that said 'We have no compunction about locking you out'.

They've had three months and neither side's moved an inch, the owners still want to take money out of the players' pockets with one hand after giving it to them with the other months ago and the players still think they should not only get 50% plus but now Fehr is being petulant in wanting the players to get paid as if there was no lockout.

Logic may say they have to get a deal done but logic doesn't account for the egos and arrogance on both sides, starting with (but not limited to) Bettman and Fehr, the two biggest enemies to labor peace in pro sports.

They've had three months and neither side's moved an inch, the owners still want to take money out of the players' pockets with one hand after giving it to them with the other months ago and the players still think they should not only get 50% plus but now Fehr is being petulant in wanting the players to get paid as if there was no lockout.

You're not paying attention if you think neither side has moved an inch. You just don't have the facts at all. Furthermore, you take offers in negotiation at face value, which is ridiculous. Both sides have moved and will continue to move.

Logic may say they have to get a deal done but logic doesn't account for the egos and arrogance on both sides, starting with (but not limited to) Bettman and Fehr, the two biggest enemies to labor peace in pro sports.

Baseball has not had a labor issue since 1995, which is the longest streak in the 4 major sports by an incredible amount. Football, basketball, and the NHL are going to be locked into a lockout strategy to pull player salaries down every time the CBA expires. It will happen again and again. Baseball, on the other hand, is humming along smoothly.

Edited by Triumph

You're not paying attention if you think neither side has moved an inch. You just don't have the facts at all. Furthermore, you take offers in negotiation at face value, which is ridiculous. Both sides have moved and will continue to move.

Baseball has not had a labor issue since 1995, which is the longest streak in the 4 major sports by an incredible amount. Football, basketball, and the NHL are going to be locked into a lockout strategy to pull player salaries down every time the CBA expires. It will happen again and again. Baseball, on the other hand, is humming along smoothly.

The only reason baseball hasn't had a labor issue since '95 is because the FANS finally made their collective voice heard in terms of declining attendance and very public fan backlash. It's going to finally come to that in hockey, I'm afraid.

If you want to 'read between the lines' and say there's movement that's fine. It's impossible to take anything either side says at face value, especially when Fehr behind closed doors says they're still far apart then goes in front of the media and says they're not. Most of this public bs is like an election, everything's PR-driven. And like Congress, nothing gets done in the end.

The only reason baseball hasn't had a labor issue since '95 is because the FANS finally made their collective voice heard in terms of declining attendance and very public fan backlash. It's going to finally come to that in hockey, I'm afraid.

The players could use this to their advantage and threaten a strike. Salaries are not tied to revenues in baseball. The baseball owners got into big trouble when they colluded.

If you want to 'read between the lines' and say there's movement that's fine. It's impossible to take anything either side says at face value, especially when Fehr behind closed doors says they're still far apart then goes in front of the media and says they're not. Most of this public bs is like an election, everything's PR-driven. And like Congress, nothing gets done in the end.

Numbers. Not quotes. Numbers. Numbers are all that matters here, and numbers have been getting closer, even with this latest news.

I am OK with losing this season if Fehr kills the Bettman and we have labor peace in perpetuity. Yes, seriously. But if this ends up as another cashgrab where the owners see that they have this fully armed and operational battle station called a "Lock Out" and say "hey let's use it again in the next lock out to get more Benjamins from the players"...then I will pissed off because nothing has been accomplished other than ensuring we will have labor strife again in 5-8 years.

But I will accept losing a season if it brings stability to this game, stability we have not seen for two decades.

We said the same types of things in '04, losing a season is not going to help bring stability to the game. The only thing that'll bring stability to the game is the fans revolting and letting both sides know 'business as usual' is no longer acceptable.

re: Jacobs, wtf is his problem anyway? It's not like the system's preventing him from having a good team, is he such a frigging miser that having a popular team that has good attendance isn't enough?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.