DEVILS ACQUIRE MARTIN SKOULA

Weekes Head

We got Ilya motherfvcking Kovalchuk! How anyone can be upset at this deadline is BEYOND me.

Look, the Devils had a poor record going into the trade deadline. Then they don't do anything to help their offense and the team doesn't have any way to improve their defense. How can anyone think this team isn't a borderline playoff team at this point destined to lose to any team they play in the playoffs? :evil:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin

Greene

Salvador

White

Fraser

Mottau

Salmela

so, to you, Skoula isn't better than Motts or Salmela?

No, he's not. He might be better than overworked Mottau, but he's going to cease being overworked. keep in mind, he couldn't get a FA deal. even Jeff Finger managed that.

Edited by maxpower

No, he's not. He might be better than overworked Mottau, but he's going to cease being overworked. keep in mind, he couldn't get a FA deal. even Jeff Finger managed that.

scanners.gif

jeff finger got a 3.5 million dollar per season deal, i don't see what that has to do with anything.

skoula might be better than either fraser or salmela. he's not better than mottau. he's insurance in case fraser fails, or more likely, lemaire's go to guy for the 3rd pairing and fraser'll be on the outside.

scanners.gif

jeff finger got a 3.5 million dollar per season deal, i don't see what that has to do with anything.

skoula might be better than either fraser or salmela. he's not better than mottau. he's insurance in case fraser fails, or more likely, lemaire's go to guy for the 3rd pairing and fraser'll be on the outside.

but Fraser was never likely to play in the playoffs, anyway. It doesn't make alot of sense. he's depth, but you want depth when you're stacked. we're not. he's just another guy. and what remains to be seen is how Lemaire uses him. he's used him alot in the past. if he plays a role where you see him occasionally and the rest of the time he's in the press box, fine. but if he's going to be playing night in, night out, and he gets goosed up to the second pair, well, that's not going to end well.

What I would like to see:

Martin-Salvador

White-Greene

Salmela-Skoula

What we probably will see:

Martin-White

Salvador-Greene

Mottau-Skoula

Edited by nyrsuck26

but Fraser was never likely to play in the playoffs, anyway.

if fraser's the 7th guy on the depth chart, he is likely to play during a long playoff run.

he's depth, but you want depth when you're stacked. we're not.

so you don't want depth other times? that doesn't make much sense.

he's just another guy. and what remains to be seen is how Lemaire uses him. he's used him alot in the past. if he plays a role where you see him occasionally and the rest of the time he's in the press box, fine. but if he's going to be playing night in, night out, and he gets goosed up to the second pair, well, that's not going to end well.

no, it won't, but i don't think it will happen. skoula gives them a guy that lemaire is confident in moving up to the second pair if there are two injuries in the top four. that's not a ringing endorsement, and i don't have much hope for skoula, but i'd rather have him than go through what the sabres did a few years back where they were dragging up anything that could play defense when all their guys were hurt. he knows the system, which is a plus. the defenseman the devils acquire at the deadline is always the guy who becomes public enemy #1 on these boards within 2 weeks - whether it's klee or havelid or malakhov or ellett or o'donnell or housley, it's inevitable - maybe a guy knowing the system will help.

Edited by Triumph

but Fraser was never likely to play in the playoffs, anyway. It doesn't make alot of sense. he's depth, but you want depth when you're stacked. we're not.

I think the point has been made elsewhere that the Devils are stacked, just not at defense. With Kovalchuk the Devils have two potentially explosive lines, and with Clarkson back our third line is a threat as well. Take last night as an example ... the defense lapsed, but the team won because there was a four-goal cushion. Adding Martin is a huge bonus, and replacing Fraser with Skoula could be an improvement (we'll have to wait and see), but for once we have a Devils team that isn't built to win on defense. It's built to win with offense.

if fraser's the 7th guy on the depth chart, he is likely to play during a long playoff run.

so you don't want depth other times? that doesn't make much sense.

no, it won't, but i don't think it will happen. skoula gives them a guy that lemaire is confident in moving up to the second pair if there are two injuries in the top four. that's not a ringing endorsement, and i don't have much hope for skoula, but i'd rather have him than go through what the sabres did a few years back where they were dragging up anything that could play defense when all their guys were hurt. he knows the system, which is a plus. the defenseman the devils acquire at the deadline is always the guy who becomes public enemy #1 on these boards within 2 weeks - whether it's klee or havelid or malakhov or ellett or o'donnell or housley, it's inevitable - maybe a guy knowing the system will help.

stupid post editor, I'll try to remember everything.

1) yeah, he could see a game here or there, but seeing 10 minutes in one series isn't that big of a deal. him playing 12-15 every night could be.

2) yeah, that didn't come out quite right. I just don't see him as depth, I see him as a guy in a pile of defensemen we can roll out. (think like in Sutter's first season with the 14 random defensemen we would use on a given night, that wasn't really depth, depth would imply someone was good)

3) I understand the fear of injury, but we're kinda thin. losing the top end guys will doom us, maybe White to a lesser degree, and then there's the interchangeable guys, who if their arm fell off, it wouldn't make that much of a difference no matter who replaced them. Skoula can replace those guys, obviously, he might be able to replace someone on the White tier, but on the Greene/Sal/Martin tier, no way. we're hosed, then.

I think the point has been made elsewhere that the Devils are stacked, just not at defense. With Kovalchuk the Devils have two potentially explosive lines, and with Clarkson back our third line is a threat as well. Take last night as an example ... the defense lapsed, but the team won because there was a four-goal cushion. Adding Martin is a huge bonus, and replacing Fraser with Skoula could be an improvement (we'll have to wait and see), but for once we have a Devils team that isn't built to win on defense. It's built to win with offense.

if they catch on with the system. I don't think this is going to be an explosive team day in, day out. especially unless Martin works out the kinks with his long-breakout passes.

when they work the system, they score, when they don't, it's a struggle and they need the PP. I don't really see it flipping on like a light. they've been feast or famine this year.

Edited by maxpower

This is a c-word worthy reaction. It wasn't that bad. Sorry if I offended any of you, but I really didn't think it was that big of a deal.

You don't think calling a woman you don't even know a "slut" because she's a loyal fan of the player and probably doesn't give a rat's ass if Rolston ever scores another goal "a big deal"? Dude, come on.

Edited by SJP20

You don't think calling a woman you don't even know a "slut" because she's a loyal fan and doesn;t give a rat's ass if Rolston ever scores another goal a big deal? Dude, come on//////

I didn't call her a slut. In fact, I didn't call her anything at all. I asked her if she was one. Big difference. Her post was so beyond moronic, and that was the first term that came to mind. Again, sorry if it offended anyone. You asked for an apology, you got it. Sorry RolstonGirl.

Edited by MadDog2020

I didn't call her a slut. In fact, I didn't call her anything at all. I asked her if she was one. Big difference. Her post was so beyond moronic, and that was the first term that came to mind. Again, sorry if it offended anyone. You asked for an apology, you got it.

Oh, please. Save the half assed logic. You're better then that.

She makes a moronic post, so the first term that comes to your mind is "slut". Wow. If your g'f or wife (if you even have one) says something you find "moronic" is that the first term you go with as well?

Edited by SJP20

3) I understand the fear of injury, but we're kinda thin. losing the top end guys will doom us, maybe White to a lesser degree, and then there's the interchangeable guys, who if their arm fell off, it wouldn't make that much of a difference no matter who replaced them. Skoula can replace those guys, obviously, he might be able to replace someone on the White tier, but on the Greene/Sal/Martin tier, no way. we're hosed, then.

I know Martin would be a big boost, assuming he were healthy, but I don't see that as being the case for this year. Dude has been out with a broken arm for over 4 months already. I refuse to believe he will be anything more then damaged goods for the rest of the season. sh!t, I wouldn't be surprised if he got hurt again once he returns. Yeah, I have no way of predicting how healthy or effective he will be but I guess I'm not going to get my hopes up.

This defense is not going to get it done, even with Martin returning close to 100%. I just can't see it. I think of guys like Mottau and Greene being out there in pivotal situations and I want to stab my fvcking eyes out. And like you said, this defense can not afford a single injury to any of the adequate defenders. It would be devastating.

Throw in the fact that this team is weak on center and has trouble winning faceoffs, yeah, we're primed for a real long run this year. It was wonderful getting Kovalchuk but they were unable to do anything to even remotely compliment that trade. It is what it is. I don't care how many goals this team will be bale to score, I just can't get the thought out of my mind that Brodeur is going to have to stand on his head in the playoffs. Whether he is capable is irrelevant, you will not win a damn thing if your goalie has to be great all the time. With this defensive group, especially with the top player being gimpy, how is it even possible to feel positive about playing past April?

Edited by Sickman

Oh, please. Save the half assed logic. You're better then that.

She makes a moronic post, so the first term that comes to your mind is "slut". Wow. If your g'f or wife (if you even have one) says something you find "moronic" is that the first term you go with as well?

Of course not. That term has a specific meaning with regards to hockey. That said, it was wrong, and I apologized for it. I specifically apologize to any of the women here who might have been offended. Would you like to cut off one of my fingers for it, or are we cool now?

Edited by MadDog2020

stupid post editor, I'll try to remember everything.

1) yeah, he could see a game here or there, but seeing 10 minutes in one series isn't that big of a deal. him playing 12-15 every night could be.

2) yeah, that didn't come out quite right. I just don't see him as depth, I see him as a guy in a pile of defensemen we can roll out. (think like in Sutter's first season with the 14 random defensemen we would use on a given night, that wasn't really depth, depth would imply someone was good)

i disagree that 'we are hosed'. we're in trouble, sure, but teams have won series' even with key injuries. you really underrate just how good this team is.

if they catch on with the system. I don't think this is going to be an explosive team day in, day out. especially unless Martin works out the kinks with his long-breakout passes.

when they work the system, they score, when they don't, it's a struggle and they need the PP. I don't really see it flipping on like a light. they've been feast or famine this year.

it has 2 excellent lines and some scoring threats on all 4 lines. it's an above average offense now, for sure.