Humor Rankings Return

lucifer91

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

24 (0) Devils 0-0-0 Although they're too thin down the middle and not good enough along the blue line, the Devils will get Zach Parise back, and Martin Brodeur always gives them a chance to win. Still, troubling decisions await the Devils as this season unfolds.

Devils at 24, behind the islanders, panthers, maple leafs and such...

It was a joke in seasons past... but right now, I think it's accurate as a pre-season rank. We've coasted off the past for the past few seasons and it's time to re-establish the Devils as a legitimate force.

That's going be hard to do with goaltenders past their prime, and our #1 center out for a few months. This team needs to step it up and prove their worth... And hopefully we'll all be grateful when we're back in the top 10, 5, etc

That means adding Parise back to the lineup leaves the Devils with the same place in the league as last year. Did the whole league get that much better or is Parise really not that good? :lol:

Brodeur got a year older.

Parise comes back with Zajac going away.

I don't think we're doom and gloom, but I also think we come off a bit entitled if we want a higher preseason ranking.

I don't think we're doom and gloom, but I also think we come off a bit entitled if we want a higher preseason ranking.

I would probably say around 15-18th at the moment, but not 24th.

True, but you have to agree we are at least certainly better than Islanders, Avs, and Toronto.

True, but you have to agree we are at least certainly better than Islanders, Avs, and Toronto.

As much as the Islanders sucked, they had an amazing second half.

Toronto finished ahead of us... and people like the Avs prospects.

I'm not saying we're a bad team, or that we are missing the playoffs. But it's not a ridicuolous statement to say we are in the bottom 10 of the league right now as a pre-season rank. You can argue where we fall. And Burnside won't give us the benefit of the doubt. But in years past, we were ranked 20th, etc for absolutely no reason other than - they are bound to fail sometime, right?

So I'm fine with a 20-25 rank preseason... if we're as good as we think, we'll move up quickly.

Burnside also offers up further proof that he's been skipping his meds by saying the Devils have a shot to win the Atlantic (as well as everybody else in the Division, to be fair):

Jeff (Baltimore)

Scott,Who wins the Atlantic this year? Do you think Jagr will have that big of an impact in Philly or can the Penguins finally win the Atlantic?

Scott Burnside (1:48 PM)

Jeff; Went with Pittsburgh but this is the best division in hockey I think with the Isles poised to surprise and the Devils generally speaking always in the hunt. Rangers are better and the Flyers should still be a contender even with their overhaul. Should be fun.

Burnside was also idiotic enough to think that the question I posed (that he answered) was genuine, despite it being an obvious goof (look at the wording alone):

Sven Svensen (Oslo, Norway)

Does Adam Larsson of Devils of New Jersey hockey squad have chance of make team? I submit question now and read your answer on screen, Mr. Scott.

Scott Burnside (1:11 PM)

Sven; Welcome. And looks from all reports out of New Jersey Larsson isn't just going to make the team but will play big minutes to start. Already some are targeting him as a possible Calder Trophy winner as rookie of the year. Should be fun to watch.

Ah, good ol' Burnside...always good for some laughs. I hope he never goes away...

• Like 1

As I've said before, we are winning the division.

Are we moving the ECHL?

The highest I have seen any publication rank us right now has been #12 in the EAST. We are not a very talented team.

USA Today has us dead last in the Atlantic.

"Outlook: The Devils' 14-year playoff streak ended last season, and New Jersey is likely to sit out another a postseason."

Totally different team and talent pool.

I used to feel that way. I always had faith in the team based on the talent, leadership and structure of the organization. Those days are gone.

Ah, I've missed your posts for the past several weeks!

The gloomy storm cloud is back folks! :clap:

Burnside was also idiotic enough to think that the question I posed (that he answered) was genuine, despite it being an obvious goof (look at the wording alone):

Sven Svensen (Oslo, Norway)

Does Adam Larsson of Devils of New Jersey hockey squad have chance of make team? I submit question now and read your answer on screen, Mr. Scott.

Scott Burnside (1:11 PM)

Sven; Welcome. And looks from all reports out of New Jersey Larsson isn't just going to make the team but will play big minutes to start. Already some are targeting him as a possible Calder Trophy winner as rookie of the year. Should be fun to watch.

Ah, good ol' Burnside...always good for some laughs. I hope he never goes away...

Don't know if anybody else read this but I just laughed out loud. Nicely done.

As for the rest of the topic, blah blah power rankings are dumb.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

"Still, troubling decisions await the Devils as this season unfolds."

what a joke, i knew they would give some bullsh!t reason that really doesn't tell anyone anything... like uhhh elaborate. wtf does that mean?

not like I give a sh!t anyway though, because the day I go to ESPN to get my hockey analysis is the day that i will enjoy listening to :puke: Tim McCarver call a baseball game

It was a joke in seasons past... but right now, I think it's accurate as a pre-season rank. We've coasted off the past for the past few seasons and it's time to re-establish the Devils as a legitimate force.That's going be hard to do with goaltenders past their prime, and our #1 center out for a few months. This team needs to step it up and prove their worth... And hopefully we'll all be grateful when we're back in the top 10, 5, etc

I understand they haven't gotten out of the first round in a few years, but (prior to last year) they did win the division 3 out of 4 years with 100+ point seasons. How is that coasting?

As much as the Islanders sucked, they had an amazing second half.Toronto finished ahead of us... and people like the Avs prospects.I'm not saying we're a bad team, or that we are missing the playoffs. But it's not a ridicuolous statement to say we are in the bottom 10 of the league right now as a pre-season rank. You can argue where we fall. And Burnside won't give us the benefit of the doubt. But in years past, we were ranked 20th, etc for absolutely no reason other than - they are bound to fail sometime, right?So I'm fine with a 20-25 rank preseason... if we're as good as we think, we'll move up quickly.

and as much as the devils sucked, they had a better second half season. (26-7-3 to end the season) but the isles deserve a better spot because they had an amazing second half?

The devs don't always get the respect they deserve (from the media) and in general I don't really care, but those 2 points you made just jumped out at me though.

Totally different team and talent pool.

I used to feel that way. I always had faith in the team based on the talent, leadership and structure of the organization. Those days are gone.

I used to question your posts on hockeytraderumors back as far as 2000 and I still question them on here. In terms of pure talent NJ has plenty of speed and skill, the problem is having it mesh together on time.

I understand they haven't gotten out of the first round in a few years, but (prior to last year) they did win the division 3 out of 4 years with 100+ point seasons. How is that coasting?

That's a fair point. I think when I wrote that today I was basing my feelings of our teams overall quality (thinking of the playoffs)... in which case, we've coasted off our accomplishments. But years of playoff disappointments have left me a bit jaded; followed by not even making it last year.

and as much as the devils sucked, they had a better second half season. (26-7-3 to end the season) but the isles deserve a better spot because they had an amazing second half?

I think that's a push and where its fair to say they are about equal on that point. So if someone wants to say the Islanders are better than the Devs, I can't really argue them yet. To come out and say we are clearly better than the Isles, I don't think we can say that without playing some games this year.

We need to prove ourselves, and I am confident we can reclaim our status as a contender. But we need to earn it back; we are no longer entitled to the respect of our past generation of Devils which is fading away with Broduer and Elias.