So Apparently The Rumor Is Kovy Could Be Coming Back

TheMazz

I wonder if Bettman could overrule owners saying no to Kovy coming back "for the betterment of the league" or some crap like that. This could be a HUGE nail in the coffin of the NHL-KHL dilemma. Hell, is take him for the shoot out alone.

this sounds like a pro wrestling angle

Kovy's leaving was a situation that was far beyond a home sick player wanting to leave for the Motherland.  Him "retiring" was beneficial to multiple parties, especially Bettman and the NHL.  The last thing the League wanted was the team possibly being moved.(Yes, people have enough dough in the World to make it happen, i.e. Clippers)  Gary didn't want the team to go into bankruptcy, for many reasons.(hurting the value of the existing franchises, hurting the fees for new franchises, being a creditor themselves, bad PR for a major market area, etc.)  I really think the sale was contingent on Kovy going back with not only the league's blessing, but mandate. They knew he was more than willing to go home, especially for the Olympics.(I won't even discuss the geopolitical angle there.)  Now you can say, that is really some conspiracy type crap there, but the last thing Gary wanted was another unsettled team going into, what I believe to be a large expansion in the next few years.

Now if Lou doesn't use his last compliance buyout, I believe that these Kovy rumors may be true.  If the League has a frank conversation with all the team owners/management and says that the Devils could have used the compliance buyout for Kovy last season and that he could have then gone to the KHL, just as he did, and then he could have resigned with NJ the following year anyway. (this summer) So all in all, the moves were done to save a team from ruin, which was in all of their own best interest.  These owners know if they had to take on the Devils like they did the Coyotes, they would be losing money and a lot of it.  And if you ever been around people of this ilk, they don't wanna lose money...ever.

I guess we will see, but with NJ's limited resources to acquire any additional talent, especially since it seems Schneids is here to stay, Kovy returning could be a good thing as long as the dollars and terms make sense.

Kovy's leaving was a situation that was far beyond a home sick player wanting to leave for the Motherland.  Him "retiring" was beneficial to multiple parties, especially Bettman and the NHL.  The last thing the League wanted was the team possibly being moved.(Yes, people have enough dough in the World to make it happen, i.e. Clippers)  Gary didn't want the team to go into bankruptcy, for many reasons.(hurting the value of the existing franchises, hurting the fees for new franchises, being a creditor themselves, bad PR for a major market area, etc.)  I really think the sale was contingent on Kovy going back with not only the league's blessing, but mandate. They knew he was more than willing to go home, especially for the Olympics.(I won't even discuss the geopolitical angle there.)  Now you can say, that is really some conspiracy type crap there, but the last thing Gary wanted was another unsettled team going into, what I believe to be a large expansion in the next few years.

Now if Lou doesn't use his last compliance buyout, I believe that these Kovy rumors may be true.  If the League has a frank conversation with all the team owners/management and says that the Devils could have used the compliance buyout for Kovy last season and that he could have then gone to the KHL, just as he did, and then he could have resigned with NJ the following year anyway. (this summer) So all in all, the moves were done to save a team from ruin, which was in all of their own best interest.  These owners know if they had to take on the Devils like they did the Coyotes, they would be losing money and a lot of it.  And if you ever been around people of this ilk, they don't wanna lose money...ever.

I guess we will see, but with NJ's limited resources to acquire any additional talent, especially since it seems Schneids is here to stay, Kovy returning could be a good thing as long as the dollars and terms make sense.

Interrrrrrresting. You could be right, it all sounds about right.

I don't think a team can re-sign their compliance buyout, can they? And in a compliance buyout case, you are still on the hook for a ton of salary. I don't think this will fly under any circumstance whatsoever.

I believe you can resign the player of a compliance buyout after 1 year. The old ownership group could have bought out Kovy and really put the team in dire straights which would have put the league and the owners in even worse shape in regards to floating the team. IF we don't use the compliance buyout then this Kovy talk might have legs, IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I don't think Kovy would be welcomed back in the locker room. Elias clearly had very little love for Kovalchuk.

Let's move on and build a team.

This doesn't make any sense.  The idea of a compliance buyout on Kovalchuk's contract is insane.  Now I don't think the Devils were that upset that Kovalchuk walked away, and certainly new ownership was fine with it, but I don't think Kovalchuk being here had much impact on the sale price of the team.  Furthermore, if the Devils had wanted that contract to go away, they could've traded it and picked up, say 25%.  That's 1.5 million on the cap for the next forever, but it's certainly much better than a compliance buyout, which would've cost $45 million.

i would absolutely love to bring back kovy at a more realistic contract.. i really miss having that star player to watch he was exciting..and the team could really use him as well.. i wish there were a little more back bone to this whole thing other than it just being a rumor because most likely thats all it is a big rumor getting a lot og hopes up for devils fans.. just let us be until you have some real information on something like this our emotions have been toyed with enough over the past couple seasons.

1. Kovy would had to agree to a trade. Not happening.

2. The former ownership group could have made detrimental moves to come up with the money for the buyout, which exposed the league with an even bigger financial headache down the road. Again, it's more of a situation, where Lou didn't use both and try to bring him back.

It is clear that this was an orchestrated move by several parties, to what extent is the question. And what transpires, in the next few weeks may shed some light on the matter.

Any chance that if I've chain tries to go back, this could be used by the League as a PR move to deflect some of that negative publicity?

Did someone in this thread sat Tedenby went to the KHL? Is that confirmed by anyone?

1. Kovy would had to agree to a trade. Not happening.

2. The former ownership group could have made detrimental moves to come up with the money for the buyout, which exposed the league with an even bigger financial headache down the road. Again, it's more of a situation, where Lou didn't use both and try to bring him back.

It is clear that this was an orchestrated move by several parties, to what extent is the question. And what transpires, in the next few weeks may shed some light on the matter.

Any chance that if I've chain tries to go back, this could be used by the League as a PR move to deflect some of that negative publicity?

Did someone in this thread sat Tedenby went to the KHL? Is that confirmed by anyone?

Why was that 'not happening?'  You're just creating a narrative.  Now do I believe that Kovalchuk leaving could've helped with the sale of the team?  Yeah, absolutely, that was a lot of money on the books.  But Kovalchuk wanted to go, he's not being exiled, and the Devils let it happen because fighting him would be idiotic.  Did Kovalchuk stay for the 2013 KHL All Star Game to make it look like, six months later, that he wanted out?

A buyout is not a lump sum.  It's paid out over the course of several years - a compliance buyout of Kovalchuk would've paid out $51 million over 24 years.  It's not nothing, but it would represent little money in the overall scheme of things - I mean, NJ's total salary payouts just for players over that time would have to be expected to be at least 60M * 22.5, or 1.35 billion dollars - Kovalchuk's buyout would represent 4% of that amount.

I'm not sure if this was clarified earlier in the thread or not but do all 30 GM's need to approve Kovy's return for this upcoming season or just the Devils? To my understanding the only time all 30 GM's had to approve Kovy returning was this past season and starting this season only the Devils needed to approve his return until his 35th birthday.

I'm not sure if this was clarified earlier in the thread or not but do all 30 GM's need to approve Kovy's return for this upcoming season or just the Devils? To my understanding the only time all 30 GM's had to approve Kovy returning was this past season and starting this season only the Devils needed to approve his return until his 35th birthday.

Guliti says all 30

A trade of Kovalchuk wasn't happening. He wanted to go home for the Olympics. Made a nice chunk of change all while receiving much love from Putin. You can't really put a price on what that entails.

As far as them actually buying him out it puts the team, and down the road the league in a much less favorable position to sell. If you can explain how it was a positive in the sense of a pending sale, I am willing to listen.

Love got to go home for the Olympics, the Devils eliminated the contract, and the league was more than relieved to have the team sold to solid owners. Now if the NHL, as a whole believes that they benefitted from how this all went down then, maybe, just maybe, Koy will be wearing out the ice just inside the left blue line once again.

Guliti says all 30

Randy Miller cited Bill Daly which explains everything pretty well. 

1. Unless Kovalchuk sits out a full season of professional hockey anywhere in the world, he cannot return to the NHL without consent from all 30 franchises until 2018-19.

2. If Kovalchuk sits out a full season of pro hockey, he can only return with the Devils’ consent until 2018-19.

3. Beginning in 2018-19, Kovalchuk will be 35, removed from the league’s voluntary retirement list and free to sign with any NHL team as a free agent.

A trade of Kovalchuk wasn't happening. He wanted to go home for the Olympics. Made a nice chunk of change all while receiving much love from Putin. You can't really put a price on what that entails.

As far as them actually buying him out it puts the team, and down the road the league in a much less favorable position to sell. If you can explain how it was a positive in the sense of a pending sale, I am willing to listen.

Love got to go home for the Olympics, the Devils eliminated the contract, and the league was more than relieved to have the team sold to solid owners. Now if the NHL, as a whole believes that they benefitted from how this all went down then, maybe, just maybe, Koy will be wearing out the ice just inside the left blue line once again.

The league never took over control of the team.  They loaned Vanderbeek a lot of money.  They never took control of the team. 

There is absolutely no chance that 29 teams would allow Kovalchuk to come back.  Why would they hold up this part of the deal you've made up in your head?  What is their incentive, if they think the Devils get better from having him back? 

No way 29 teams approve. That would set a bad precedent. This story was dead in the water the second it hit twitter.

never say never

I couldnt believe the day we traded for Kovi

I couldnt believe the day he retired

theres also something fishy about the way he left

on their own, I agree all 29 teams will not allow him back...unless the league did have something to do with his departure

Edited by The 29th Pick

The league never took over control of the team.  They loaned Vanderbeek a lot of money.  They never took control of the team. 

There is absolutely no chance that 29 teams would allow Kovalchuk to come back.  Why would they hold up this part of the deal you've made up in your head?  What is their incentive, if they think the Devils get better from having him back? 

If they didn't find a buyer, what was going happen? The team was up against it for sure.  

Never said the other GM's were going to agree to it.  In fact ,I only think it can be brought up as now as, hey they could of used the buy out anyway, he went away for a year anyway, so in that regard it could be argued that there isn't much difference.  Last summer's actions were instrumental in getting the franchise into what appears to be very solid hands, which makes everyone more money in the long run.  Never discount greed.

And as far as making anything up, it pretty damn obvious no one has the absolute inside track on this, so of course you need to develop a narrative of some sort to see what MAY be in play, how it MAY work. 

Nearly everyone(not I) here said there was no way the team was getting that draft pick back either.  We will know shortly.