Rolston to NYI, Hunter to NJD

nmigliore

This was more my point:

If Lou was doing this trade cause of Vanderbeek's financial concerns then he should resign cause that's not the way he's done business (with handcuffs). And since when has Lou ever done a trade as a favor to a player AT THE EXPENSE OF THE TEAM? Granted Rolston's not a big deal but the only reason for doing this trade was cap savings...for what exactly?

If Lou was doing this trade cause he thinks Hunter is a better player than he should be fired.

how is not getting cap space a good thing? and yeah, the guy should just quit his job because lou has never had financial concerns at the forefront of his job. have you completely forgotten the mcmullen years or do you just like pretending they don't exist?

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also was a good move for the player. Rolston was not getting top-6 minutes. Let him get the opportunity to underachieve with the Islanders. I'd rather see guys like Tedenby get all his minutes. There was no good scenario for Brian. He isn't good enough for the first two lines, and he is utter useless anywhere else.

After everything that went down, this is actually a nice gesture from Lou.

Edited by devilsrule33

how is not getting cap space a good thing? and yeah, the guy should just quit his job because lou has never had financial concerns at the forefront of his job. have you completely forgotten the mcmullen years or do you just like pretending they don't exist?

Lou's spent when he's wanted to spend and didn't spend when he didn't want to...before the lockout you could keep players a lot longer and lowball them on contracts for several years. Especially when you had a much deeper farm system and can boot a Brendan Morrison cause you had other guys like Elias, Sykora, Madden, etc. You can't do that as much these days if you want to keep players (Elias, Kovy) in their prime seasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lou's spent when he's wanted to spend and didn't spend when he didn't want to...before the lockout you could keep players a lot longer and lowball them on contracts for several years. Especially when you had a much deeper farm system and can boot a Brendan Morrison cause you had other guys like Elias, Sykora, Madden, etc. You can't do that as much these days if you want to keep players (Elias, Kovy) in their prime seasons.

lou traded kirk muller over money. lou barely retained scott stevens in 94 - as i recall, that went down to the last day. do i need to keep going? lou doesn't spend anything he wants to or doesn't want to - his pursestrings are controlled by ownership.

Edited by Triumph

Maybe I think it was clear Brian wasn't getting a lick of ice-time on the top two lines anyway, and he is a non-factor when he isn't there. Saves the team 3 million, which is nice for an owner. It also allows some younger players much needed minutes to develop.

I agree with you on this, besides the obvious bonus by clearing salary/cap space, I'm just as excited to open the roster spot to a younger player.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

There was a team at the deadline that wanted him aswell as the Isles. Who? Brian did not say who as far as I know.

Beat me to it, Tri. Though it does beg the question of why he's had so many problems with the salary cap.

Beat me to it, Tri. Though it does beg the question of why he's had so many problems with the salary cap.

because the devils drafted really terribly between 1999 and 2005 - besides parise and zajac, they basically got no one who was an average player. so they had a lot of older players on the team, and those players have to get compensated fairly.

this is the first summer where lou has not made an obvious cap mistake.

This is 100% positive for the Devils. We get rid of 3 million in salary for this year and if Hunter works out on the 3-4 line, great, if not, we can bury him in the minors and have an extra 5 million in cap space instead. I don't understand why anyone thinks we'd need to buy out Hunter, he's not signed to a 35+ contract and doesn't have a NMC, so we can bury his contract at any time for any reason in order to gain extra cap space.

Has anyone seen the dance marathon episode of Always Sunny? Well Rolston was like the beer keg you had to wear around your neck if you lost a dance-off.

Best reference ever