Did the Devils really play much differently today than they did in the

metallidevils

I really don't think so. Every time I see a post saying 'hopefully they are just shaking off the rust' I think to myself, what rust? They played sloppily against the Rangers as well, except that the bounces went their way. That goal where the puck went in off of Marty's stick? That wouldnt have happened last series. The 4th Carolina goal? The play would have been whistled dead after someone touched it with a high stick. The Devils relied too much on luck and bounces last series, and I feared that this would happen - that they'd play the same way this series. Everyone, except maybe pando and madden, have to step up their game. this style of play worked last series; the rangers were a joke. It's not going to work now.

Edited by metallidevils

we out worked the rangers, and today the canes out worked us, imo it was rust. you dont sweep a team 4-0 on bounces alone. The devils didnt play nearly as sloppy in the last series, and even if you gave the rangers all the goals where they hit posts we still would have out scored them. idk what series you were watching but this is a different team, and i think they will shake it off next game.

Edited by squishyx

Guest troycrowder25

The Devils were very sloppy and a little unlucky, the first 2 goals were cheapies and they never recovered after that.

But today I remembered how hard it is to win in the playoffs. We got to play an AHL caliber team with an injured superstar in the first round but now the Devils have to elevate their game. The Canes are fast, they block shots, and they have a hot goalie.

Today I also realized how much the Rangers suck, we got so lucky to play them in the 1st round. I doubt they even make the playoffs next year.

We were sloppy in the Rangers series just as we were today. HOWEVER, the hustle was not there today as it was in the Rangers series. We were beat to almost every loose puck, we could not get to the few rebound chances we had, and the Hurricanes were given way too much time to make decisions when they had the puck, especially when we were down a man. Though the bounces did not go our way, it does not make up for the lack of hustle that caused such a lopsided loss.

You are kidding right??? What series did you watch?? the bounces?? How about creating the bounces. Was it the bounces on Mad dogs 2 short handed goals?? Was it the bounces on Elias's rocket from the top of the circle or when he deked out 3 Rags and went in and scored?? Yes the rags were not as good as the canes, but give me a break with the bounces. the Devils offensive players were several notches better in the Rags series, and will step it up after todays embarrasment

You are kidding right??? What series did you watch?? the bounces?? How about creating the bounces. Was it the bounces on Mad dogs 2 short handed goals?? Was it the bounces on Elias's rocket from the top of the circle or when he deked out 3 Rags and went in and scored?? Yes the rags were not as good as the canes, but give me a break with the bounces. the Devils offensive players were several notches better in the Rags series, and will step it up after todays embarrasment

I'm not saying the bounces gave us the win in the Rangers series, the Devils earned that one with great play and great goaltending. But what series were you watching if you're going to say that the bounces didn't go our way against the Rangers? The bounces just made the series easier and more lopsided than it already was.

Edited by devils26

I'm not saying the bounces gave us the win in the Rangers series, the Devils earned that one with great play and great goaltending. But what series were you watching if you're going to say that the bounces didn't go our way against the Rangers? The bounces just made the series easier and more lopsided than it already was.

Devs26 I wasnt talking about your post I was talking to the person that started this thread. mettalidevils.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bounces??? Rust??? We got OUTWORKED and OUTPLAYED. bottom line. Carolina is a much more talented team then the Rags, but not as talented as the devs made them look today. If the score would have been 2-0 or 4-1 you can use the rust or bounces excuse but not the 6-0 drubbing that I saw today. Why was Kozlov playing????? In the Playoffs you need guys with HEART!!!!!!!!! Kozlov is not that man. bottom line is this we got embarrassed we need a huge effort out of all our guys, better checking, more shots( we made Ward look like an All-Star today). We need a better game out of our forwards. TAKE SOME SHOTS!!! Lou needs to ship Klee back to Toronto, maybe we can get a stick bag or 100 pucks for him. Heartless performance today. We need to play a complete game in game 2 we need to at least show that we care and can play with these guys

Edited by Iowadevsfan

with regard to maddens goals, to be fair i did say that the devils got outplayed 5 on 5. the special teams were outstanding.

maybe i did overexagerate a little with the bounces, but can you honestly say that if the devils continue to play the way they did against the rangers, even strength, that they can beat carolina?

the devils got relaxed and comfortable, and then got a rude awakening.

i think they will come out and compete in game 2...at least they better if they plan on going to the next round.

I pretty much agree (as I said in teh game thread). What bugged me was in the rags series the Devs (though I felt too manically) MOVED - they didn't hesitate - they went for it. it was sloppy as all hell - but it worked. They weren't trying ot be crisp or neat today - I'd liek to say they were -- that they had a slight hitch or hesitation because they were seeking the neatness.. the smart clean move, but I dont buy it myself even - they were just .. well bydammitall they looked BEFUDDLED! They looked like Sean Brown - the whole lot of 'em.

They looked like they were trying to play the devils system for the first time in their life and were scared they'd screw up -- these guys - there was some fear - but fear of themselves not so much the Canes. They played like losers. Bugs the heck out of me and I hope they figure out what theIr deal is.

Edited by Pepperkorn

the devils got relaxed and comfortable, and then got a rude awakening.

i think they will come out and compete in game 2...at least they better if they plan on going to the next round.

Nice thought... Marty will show up for game 2. I see stupidity in their future.

It's like they need to figure out the difference between mindful play and just FOCUSED play. hockey doesn't require mindfulness. Just focus...know where you are and trust -- trust your teammates trust your intuition

FOCUS and TRUST

Guest troycrowder25
Bounces??? Rust??? We got OUTWORKED and OUTPLAYED. bottom line. Carolina is a much more talented team then the Rags, but not as talented as the devs made them look today. If the score would have been 2-0 or 4-1 you can use the rust or bounces excuse but not the 6-0 drubbing that I saw today. Why was Kozlov playing????? In the Playoffs you need guys with HEART!!!!!!!!! Kozlov is not that man. bottom line is this we got embarrassed we need a huge effort out of all our guys, better checking, more shots( we made Ward look like an All-Star today). We need a better game out of our forwards. TAKE SOME SHOTS!!! Lou needs to ship Klee back to Toronto, maybe we can get a stick bag or 100 pucks for him. Heartless performance today. We need to play a complete game in game 2 we need to at least show that we care and can play with these guys

Relax, you sound like a Rangers fan with all that angry b.tching you're doing.

i'll just never forget the play where there was a dump in, lukowich took it and skated the puck out of the zone....i really thought my tv was slowing down, and then i realized that lukowich is just incapable of skating the puck from point A to point B. madden and pandalfo i think had good games, they were probably the only ones. lukowich and klee, i'm sorry but i cant stand them. from now on lukowich, klee, and kozlov are the 3 stooges

i'll just never forget the play where there was a dump in, lukowich took it and skated the puck out of the zone....i really thought my tv was slowing down, and then i realized that lukowich is just incapable of skating the puck from point A to point B. madden and pandalfo i think had good games, they were probably the only ones. lukowich and klee, i'm sorry but i cant stand them. from now on lukowich, klee, and kozlov are the 3 stooges

I personally think they came out starting like they wanted to play hard....the Elias hit was one in mind that seemed like he wanted to start the series off with something to build on (of course he he had more weight or lowered his shoulder a bit it would have helped :D ) But then they just couldn't get anything going...the rust really had set in, they got two bad goals against and it snowballed on them...I don't doubt they come back game 2 and really show what the series will be....secondly, i don't think anyone other than Klee and Lukowich played badly...Kozzy shouldn't have been out there because he doesn't do anything for the team and it does disrupt the flow of the fourth line....anyway I kinda thought the same thing about the three stooges :)

3StoogesSIG.png

*cue the theme song....

This is from my series breakdown.

Answer yes or no for each one based on yesterday's no show against Carolina:

Keys to a Devils victory:

-Shutdown Staal

-Get to Cam Ward early

-Attack questionable Carolina D

-Win the battle of special teams

What can't happen:

-Ward outplays Brodeur

-Devils defense succumbs to Canes' high powered attack

-Devils offense trades chances with Canes leading to problems

-Weight and Recchi tilt the offensive balance

This is from my series breakdown.

Answer yes or no for each one based on yesterday's no show against Carolina:

Keys to a Devils victory:

-Shutdown Staal yes, but it's more like... shutdown ANYONE

-Get to Cam Ward early how about get to cam ward at all?

-Attack questionable Carolina D yes please

-Win the battle of special teams mos def

What can't happen:

-Ward outplays Brodeur Marty just needs to play

-Devils defense succumbs to Canes' high powered attack Yes

-Devils offense trades chances with Canes leading to problems I'd settle for trading chances at this point

-Weight and Recchi tilt the offensive balance yes

I knew this would happen. Ward outplayed no one. Ward just about had to play. What he *had* to do in the game, he does during warmups. Sure this playoffs Marty was finally getting kudos, but mostly for being the vet. The media just loves their flavor of the week. Ilya B. out west and Ward in the east. These guys are not the second coming of Roy or Brodeur. They are kids with ZERO pressure, because they are kids an no one expects anything from them. Just look at the smile on Ryan Miller's face when he escaped with a W after an awful performance. No pressure, only glory for these kids. The Devils have to exploit Ward. They have to be all over his crease. They have to tilt the ice in the other direction.

The Devils all around had a really lousy game. So much for the rest being good for them, it just led to rust. Hopefully they shook all the rust off. They had better find the game they had during the streak or this will be a very short series.

I remember another flavor of the week. Giggy I believe was his name. I think I saw him on the Ducks bench, but I could be mistaken.

Liz... Ward needs to face some viable shots before anyone can say he outplayed Marty. And honestly I haven't heard anyone say he DID outplay Marty --- just hearing that Marty and teh Devils just didn't show up pretty much. Not that I agree with that - players always show up -- but their heads can be up their a... where it shouldn't be.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Clemmy played a hell of a game!!!

I'd rather win game 2 then game 1 if I was forced to split the first 2. hopefully the devils shake it off and play a stronger game monday.

That goes w/o sayin you want tp head home w/the win.