All MLB 2011 Thread

devilsrule33

Fister isn't exactly a household dominant pitcher name, but who knows? Maybe wit ha little Tiger run support he can stop the bleeding! boogie.gif

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fister is not only a solid pitcher but hes also under team control through 2015, which is nice. Pauley is over-performing but he should help their bullpen a bit, and he too is locked up through 2015. It doesn't seem like Detroit gave up much; Martinez probably has the highest upside of the known players but hes still quite raw. On the surface it looks like a decent deal for both sides, but not knowing the PTBNL, I'd give the edge to Detroit for now.

The Indians are apparently close to acquiring Ubaldo Jimenez. Wow. Drew Pomeranz and Alex White were both scratched from their starts, so it seems like they would be the main pieces. Buster Olney claims Kipnis "probably" woudn't be involved in the deal. If Cleveland ends up getting him for a package built around Pomeranz and White, that'll look like a great deal for them, even considering the fact they really shouldn't be dealing away young talent. On the flipside, if I'm Colorado, I wouldn't be taking anything less than Pomeranz and Kipnis. Jimenez is a valuable commodity; an ace with a very team-friendly contract through 2013... if you're gonna move him, you better gotta cash in big on that.

Edited by nmigliore

The best part of the Rasmus deal was AA had no business being in it. He found out what the Cardinals wanted, which was Jackson, then went out and got Jackson for the deal. This easily could have been a Sox-Cards deal.

Last year AA fleeced the Braves by getting Escobar for nothing because he fell out with his manager, and he did the same with the Cards.

Great deal by the Indians to get Jimenez if true.

Deal seems all but official. Troy Renck of the Denver Post is reporting Pomeranz, White, and Matt McBride. If true, that sounds underwhelming for Jimenez. And I'm not gonna lie, I think I'd take the Hunter Pence haul of Cosart/Singleton + over this.

I definitely think Alex Anthopoulos is one of those underrated GM's. If NY and Boston weren't so stacked it'd be interesting to see how the Jays would do in another division.

Thanks for the insight into the Jimenez deal nmigliore. Checking out fangraphs I'm really impressed by Pomeranz. Still I feel like the Rockies could've gotten more. Apparently the Yankees wanted to get a physical recently on Jimenez and the Rockies denied the request so perhaps there is a health issue that they have some concern about, hence why they were so desperate to move him.

Keep in mind Jimenez's velocity is drastically down too: http://www.fangraphs.com/fgraphs/3374_P_FA_20110724.png

Considering that in addition to the fact they are looking to move him (when they probably shouldn't be) and the denying request(s) of medicals/physical makes me believe something isn't right. If I'm Cleveland I'm probably backing out of that deal if I'm denied a medical report or physical from Jimenez.

And considering Jimenez is now making his start, I do wonder if Cleveland did do that....

Edited by nmigliore

This whole Jimenez situation that is going on right now is awkward. To be pitching with a guy warming up right behind you, I wonder why they even bothered to start him.

Trade market is weak but per Jack Curry of YES, one of the guys the Yankees we're looking into, Hiroki Kuroda, has decided to not waive his no trade clause. I can't see Cashman making a move unless its some random depth deal at this point.

Harden to the Red Sox for Lars Anderson and a PTBNL. Depending on who the player is, this seems like a good deal for both sides. Anderson had no long term future in Boston and the A's get something in a down year. If he can stay healthy, this really bolsters the Red Sox rotation.

I've always liked Harden, when healthy. Unfortunately that's not often. Still, good pickup with upside.

Wouldn't Erik Bedard make sense for the Yankees? He comes with a lot of injury risk, but hes pitching really well this year (3.39 xFIP).

I've always liked Harden, when healthy. Unfortunately that's not often. Still, good pickup with upside.

Wouldn't Erik Bedard make sense for the Yankees? He comes with a lot of injury risk, but hes pitching really well this year (3.39 xFIP).

I'd be open to Bedard but I doubt Cashman would be willing to give up what Seattle would want in return. At this point I don't see Cashman making a move but then again he does have the tendency to surprise us from time to time. I gotta give him credit for not mortgaging the farm to overpay for a questionable guy to win this year. It would be easy to just trade away prospects on your way out the door.

Michael Bourn to the Braves for 4 minor leaguers. The haul looks pretty eh, but I guess someone of his skillset (great speed/defense, okay bat) is just not that highly valued on the trade market. Believe it or not, Bourn is actually the WAR leader among centerfielders from 2009-11. Great deal for Atlanta.

Edited by nmigliore

Absolutely... Of course he needs to continue doing what he does, but that being the case, he'll go in.

i was just talking today about how fortunate we are to be able to watch him pitch and see him work. I mean how many pitchers can you say could throw a perfect game or no hitter every damn game he is up there nowadays? I know I'm biased, but I think he is THE top pitcher today and anyone able to watch him pitch gets a treat and will get to say they saw him pitch such-and-such game back in 2011 when talking about one of the great pitchers of all time. :pray:koolaid.gif

Verlander is awesome; if not the best pitcher over the last 3 seasons, then definitely near the top. If he keeps up the pace hes at over the next 4-5 seasons, he'll definitely be at least a HoF candidate (from my perspective, at least).

Edited by nmigliore

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Big Phillies vs Giants team fight last night. Giants pitcher hit Victarino in the back on purpose, their catcher jumps up and doing like its boxing and charges Polanco and gets a head full of dirt.

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the Tigers acquired Delmon Young. I initially laughed, until I realized how awful Ordonez has been this year, jeez. Young is actually going to be an upgrade for them for the stretch run. It doesn't look like Detroit gave up anything of interest either, so, er, good move for them, I guess.... :blink:

Edited by nmigliore

The Jays just traded Aaron Hill and John McDonald for Kelly Johnson. Haha, Alex A. is trying to steal draft pick(s) again. He pretty much did the same thing with Miguel Olivo last season. I like this move for them. There's certainly some risk in that he could accept arbitration, but even if he does, he'd still be an upgrade over Aaron Hill and could be a solid bounce-back candidate after the way he performed last season. Plus, its not like the Jays have any special in-house options for the position.

Edited by nmigliore

Just watching the Rangers/Angels game on ESPN tonight, I couldn't help but think of that Vernon Wells trade again. I mean this isn't really new, but seriously... what were they thinking? It would have been bad enough acquiring him for nothing. But they gave up Mike Napoli, who has, unsurprisingly I might add, gone one to have an outstanding season with Texas. In fact, hes been one of the best hitters in baseball, when hes played. And here the Angels sit, with Vernon Wells, his mid-.600's OPS, his ludicrous contract, and Jeff Mathis, whose OPS is about .100 points less than Mike Napoli's slugging percentage, as their starting catcher. Amazing. And to add salt to the wound, Napoli is on a division rival, greatly helping them beat out the Angels for the AL West title.

Edited by nmigliore