Do the Fire and Ice Lounges need some updating/refreshing?

Colorado Rockies 1976

Trailblazer made a post in the Announcement thread about the Fire and Ice Lounges being dated just 6.5 years after the Rock opened (hard to believe it's already been that long).  Just wanted to see what people thought (preferably WITHOUT everybody calling each other out on their opinions and calling each other whiners, complainers, spoiled, etc).

Admittedly I've only been in the Fire Lounge a few times, and the Ice Lounge once.  I do remember thinking that the computer-generated preview pictures looked a bit cooler than the final product (both lounges have a bit of a "plastic" feel to them).  So what do fans who frequent both lounges think?  Time for an update/refresh for both lounges, or do they still hold up purely as is (or only need minor updating)?

I've only been once about 3 years ago, thought they were nice, however I can see how someone might think they were outdated now. But honestly I'm the kind of person who goes to watch the game (I suspect this is the sentiment of most fans here)

In a sense I'd rather they try to keep the fans in the seats, as I said in the attendance thread a few weeks back the premium seats are always empty since people mull about the lounges instead.

Been to both a couple of times over the last few seasons and while they are not really outdated yet, they are starting to get long in the tooth.  I think a lot of that is that as you said they never turned out to be nearly as cool as the CGI and concept photos we were shown when they were building the rock and the final product was a little disappointing.

I think a slight re-model will help and do not think a full scale renovation is really needed right now.

Been to both a couple of times over the last few seasons and while they are not really outdated yet, they are starting to get long in the tooth.  I think a lot of that is that as you said they never turned out to be nearly as cool as the CGI and concept photos we were shown when they were building the rock and the final product was a little disappointing.

I think a slight re-model will help and do not think a full scale renovation is really needed right now.

In bold:  that's kind of how I felt about them, the last times I was in them.  I do remember thinking :"Wow, holy sh!t!" when I saw the CGI, then more of a "Oh, OK" when I saw the real things.  If the CGI pics were a 10, then the final products were more of a 7 or an 8.  

In bold:  that's kind of how I felt about them, the last times I was in them.  I do remember thinking :"Wow, holy sh!t!" when I saw the CGI, then more of a "Oh, OK" when I saw the real things.  If the CGI pics were a 10, then the final products were more of a 7 or an 8.  

Yeah I mean imagine how I felt when for the Ice Lounge they were hyping up the "bartop made out of real ice!" and when you get there, it is a thin slab that takes up a part of the bartop that is frozen.

Maybe I'm wrong...I just don't remember...but wasn't part of the purpose of both lounges to be a place fans could hang out for a while after the game ends?  Does anyone actually do that?  How long after the game before they close?  I had a beer in the Fire Lounge after a game had ended, but only stuck around for about 20 mins (work night). 

Yeah I mean imagine how I felt when for the Ice Lounge they were hyping up the "bartop made out of real ice!" and when you get there, it is a thin slab that takes up a part of the bartop that is frozen.

Yeah I was expecting this...

[url=http://s79.photobucket.com/user/samson33/media/28-Large-oi_zpsc315b9bd.jpg.html]28-Large-oi_zpsc315b9bd.jpg[/u

RL]

Ok maybe not that extravagant but a little more than a tiny strip.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I go the ice lounge quite a bit, and besides maybe using some new carpeting, I don't think there's much you can do to make the experience better.  The biggest problem is that it can get a little tight, but you can't make the area much bigger.

EDIT:  I'll also add that they need to do something about the coffee situation in the ice lounge.

Edited by Daniel

Haha, it's funny that this is a debate re: the whole rendering vs. actuality result of the lounges. You'd be surprised at how often this is discussed in architecture as a whole: companies are spending top dollar to produce these sexy and glamorous interior views that reality will never allow-- it's almost like photoshop is the architect's band-aid. Comparing the actual product to the final rendering is oftentimes pointless.

As far as these bars go, I was just in them at the game against the Penguins. I like them, but nobody mistakes them for anything except "inside of a stadium concessions". They're cool looking, but not in a Zaha Hadid how did you do that way... More of a "look, TGI Fridays renovated their bar area" kind of way. But isn't that almost the point? The function of these places is for fans to get free food and drink before seeing a hockey game. They're too close to the action to tKe on other function; the primary responsibility of these bars are to provide easy circulation, maximum counter space for eating, and sight lines to the ice.

Could the materials use an update? Maybe. The idea of an all fire and all ice bar is cool, but you've gotta be careful about getting too cheesy.

In bold:  true.  My wife watches the Property Brothers, and the CGI pretty much always looks more striking than the final real-life renovations. 

I've never been to either, but looking at the photos, it seems as if a renovation or redecorating would be pretty easy and cheap. The way things are built and cladded seem similar to what they do in retail, where materials can be swapped in and removed as needed. I'm not sure if any bigger renovation or wall demolition, etc., would be made, but things like new materials/cladding, different lighting design, and different carpeting can really transform a space. From what I can tell in picture, the way they built it allows for that process to be sort of easy. Things like lighting and different furniture can go a long way.

What do fans who frequent both lounges think?  Time for an update/refresh for both lounges?

PartyPoker's our big sponsors now CR. This is what the Fire\Ice Lounges are going to look like by 2016..

biff.jpg

• Like 3

PartyPoker's our big sponsors now CR. This is what the Fire\Ice Lounges are going to look like by 2016..

Damn Beez that was pretty funny.  Nice!

I think they're still very good and serve their purpose. Only complain is that they're too crowded, but not much can be done about it and they're really only used as exclusive lounges during Devils games as far as I know.. The bathrooms could probably use some fixing up though

The one change I would make is to extend them one section in each direction, and then move them back to the back-half of each section.. That way it doesn't look like crap on TV.. But if management doesn't care and pays the bills, I try not to care what other teams' fans say about it when they see all those empty black seats on TV

I was there for 2 games last year in the lounges and it was terrific. Clean, staff was very friendly, everybody eats themselves silly. Nothing to complain about really. 

maybe you could widen them a bit and allow for more sit down seating to eat before the game, but that would cut into the concourse outside the lounges.

That said I've never been in the lounges in any other arena so I have no idea what to compare it to.

Edited by '7'

Heres a slightly off-topic question for the resident "loungers":

A poster above mentioned the notorious empty black seats.  Are these seats empty because everyone is up in the lounge or because they are too expensive and went unpurchased?

Just curious since I myself have never had one of those seats or been in any of the lounges.

Heres a slightly off-topic question for the resident "loungers":

A poster above mentioned the notorious empty black seats.  Are these seats empty because everyone is up in the lounge or because they are too expensive and went unpurchased?

Just curious since I myself have never had one of those seats or been in any of the lounges.

A lot of people just watch the game from the lounges, and don't even sit in their seats.

A lot of people just watch the game from the lounges, and don't even sit in their seats.

I see more empty black seats then people in the lounges though, so its a combo of both but more so cause they are hanging by the dessert station, hehe

I been in the Ice lounge twice and its not too bad, there is so-so sushi and a good carving station and if fresh the cookies are awesome. 

I do think it could use a slight update but not a full remodel.

I've never been to either, but looking at the photos, it seems as if a renovation or redecorating would be pretty easy and cheap. The way things are built and cladded seem similar to what they do in retail, where materials can be swapped in and removed as needed. I'm not sure if any bigger renovation or wall demolition, etc., would be made, but things like new materials/cladding, different lighting design, and different carpeting can really transform a space. From what I can tell in picture, the way they built it allows for that process to be sort of easy. Things like lighting and different furniture can go a long way.

100% accurate

With a modest budget for a professional sports team, both of the lounges could absolutely be transformed into something much nicer than what they currently are.

I would love to be able to design those spaces.

Must be a terrible hockey season for the Devils, yes I have been following them and they stink, thanks Lou and here we are discussing the Fire and Ice lounge.

How about we talk about forcing Lou to retire along with Brodeur and firing DeBoer does that make sense?

Edited by LucifersDog

Must be a terrible hockey season for the Devils, yes I have been following them and they stink, thanks Lou and here we are discussing the Fire and Ice lounge.

How about we talk about forcing Lou to retire along with Brodeur and firing DeBoer does that make sense?

You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to.