Canadian Anthem/ Chants

Zubie#8

I wouldn't say it's really that much worse now, maybe you just don't remember the Meadowlands that well, especially during the Flyers and Rangers games there use to be full out brawls during some games back at the Meadowlands. I remember one game vividly where about 4 rows of fans got kicked out of my section during a Flyers game and one of the fans actually punched one of the bigger female guards in the face and she came back and destroyed him.

I've seen a fan get thrown down 14 rows of the upper deck in Boston during our 03 playoff series against them.

I've seen a Penguins fan get punched in the face by a Rangers fan during their playoff series a few years ago and then get thrown out of the game by security when the Penguins fan did nothing.

Oh I remember those fights at Rags and Flyers games.  I was mostly talking outside of those.

It is like now there is a competition between guys ages 21-35 of who can be the most obnoxious, drunk jackass at the game.  IDK but I am there mostly for the game and to have a little fun, not get into a dumb fight.

As much as I dislike the Canes, I have never had an issue or problem in the stands. Their fans are typically very nice - whether they win or lose and I have no qualms walking out in the parking lot after the game to my car. All arenas should be like that.

I wouldn't say it's really that much worse now, maybe you just don't remember the Meadowlands that well, especially during the Flyers and Rangers games there use to be full out brawls during some games back at the Meadowlands. I remember one game vividly where about 4 rows of fans got kicked out of my section during a Flyers game and one of the fans actually punched one of the bigger female guards in the face and she came back and destroyed him.

I've seen a fan get thrown down 14 rows of the upper deck in Boston during our 03 playoff series against them.

I've seen a Penguins fan get punched in the face by a Rangers fan during their playoff series a few years ago and then get thrown out of the game by security when the Penguins fan did nothing.

Any time there's a huge public gathering, there are going to be individuals who get out of control, especially if there's alcohol available. And you're probably right; the incidence of fighting and such probably is not any greater now than it ever was. But this is not at all what I'm addressing. There's a big difference between that and the fact that a large portion of our fan base shouts out a sexually explicit chant, loudly and repeatedly, throughout every game we play. This is most definitely worse than it was in the past.

I agree with those who draw the line between "Rangers suck," and "Flyers swallow."  And it is incredibly juvenile to disrespect another country's national anthem, especially when the team you are there to root for has a bunch of players from that country.  It would be juvenile and stupid at a USA vs. Canada game and it's even dumber when it's an NHL game with rosters of mixed citizenship.

I'm all about a loud arena that keeps the visiting a$$holes away, and I don't really give a crap if people who start chants are doing it slightly wrong because at least they are trying, but that doesn't mean everything goes.

I have no problem with "Rangers suck" I don't know how many of you are aware but this is 2013 and the word "sucks" isn't a dirty one anymore. It's commonplace and to many people chanting "Rangers suck" just is another meaning for saying RANGERS STINK.

The Flyers swallow part I can get the hate. If you have a kid and they ask what that means it might be uncomfortable however that's as easy as just telling your kid "That's something adults say. Don't forget that."

Between some of our fans not liking the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant, the chanting after we score and even the "KILL KILL KILL" chant it seems to me that a lot of our fanbase either:

A) Just likes to complain

and/or

B) Wants the game to be as quiet as possible. (Ironic since we have the Diablos.)

There is however no excuse for the Anthem crap. That's just horrid on any level.

Edited by TheMazz

I have no problem with "Rangers suck" I don't know how many of you are aware but this is 2013 and the word "sucks" isn't a dirty one anymore. It's commonplace and to many people chanting "Rangers suck" just is another meaning for saying RANGERS STINK.

The Flyers swallow part I can get the hate. If you have a kid and they ask what that means it might be uncomfortable however that's as easy as just telling your kid "That's something adults say. Don't forget that."

Between some of our fans not liking the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant, the chanting after we score and even the "KILL KILL KILL" chant it seems to me that a lot of our fanbase either:

A) Just likes to complain

and/or

B) Wants the game to be as quiet as possible. (Ironic since we have the Diablos.)

There is however no excuse for the Anthem crap. That's just horrid on any level.

Where did I post that I do not like the Rangers Suck chant because of the word sucks?

What I do not like about it is that when it is done 10 times during games where we are NOT EVEN PLAYING THE RAGS is really comes off as us having a huge obsession and inferiority complex at them.  Our team miles better than their team and so is our fan base.  However that chant just really comes off as a whiney little brother crying for attention.

Where did I post that I do not like the Rangers Suck chant because of the word sucks?

What I do not like about it is that when it is done 10 times during games where we are NOT EVEN PLAYING THE RAGS is really comes off as us having a huge obsession and inferiority complex at them.  Our team miles better than their team and so is our fan base.  However that chant just really comes off as a whiney little brother crying for attention.

Oh I wasn't talking about you specifically I was going on about in general.

Oh ok sorry about that but my arguement is still the same.  I am not upset about the word, just when the chant is used and how often it is used.

I agree that it shouldn't be used during blowout games. But to be used during every game doesnt bother me as much I suppose. To me it keeps the rivalry alive when we don't see the Rangers.

But when this team is losing...say 4-0 it makes no sense.

I don't think screaming "You can have it" is so bad, I've done it before. What aggravates me more than anything is the lack of interest in singing the national anthem by some people. I always make it a point to sing along to it and it would be awesome if one day the whole arena did. And when people don't stand and cheer for the Vet of the game. It's the freaking least you could do. That drives me up a wall

I don't think screaming "You can have it" is so bad, I've done it before. What aggravates me more than anything is the lack of interest in singing the national anthem by some people. I always make it a point to sing along to it and it would be awesome if one day the whole arena did. And when people don't stand and cheer for the Vet of the game. It's the freaking least you could do. That drives me up a wall

I stand when I think they deserve it. Sometimes, there's someone in the service who hasn't ever been deployed yet, like they just got a guy in training in a uniform to fill the spot. I'm of the opinion that too much of our money goes to the military, so no, I won't get up, stand, and clap unless the guy has seen some really messed up stuff or been to Afghanistan 4 times. The guy who got the medal of honor and was honored last Friday, who went past enemy lines to rescue a bunch of other soldiers, he is a great example of someone I got up and cheered loudly for.

We have as much right not to get up and clap wildly for the "hero of the game" than you have the right at taking a slight jab at the Canadian anthem, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

Edited by DJ Eco

I stand when I think they deserve it. Sometimes, there's someone in the service who hasn't ever been deployed yet, like they just got a guy in training in a uniform to fill the spot. I'm of the opinion that too much of our money goes to the military, so no, I won't get up, stand, and clap unless the guy has seen some really messed up stuff or been to Afghanistan 4 times. The guy who got the medal of honor and was honored last Friday, who went past enemy lines to rescue a bunch of other soldiers, he is a great example of someone I got up and cheered loudly for.

We have as much right not to get up and clap wildly for the "hero of the game" than you have the right at taking a slight jab at the Canadian anthem, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

I don't really agree with that. Even if the person hasn't been deployed he still is putting his live on the line for the sake of this countries freedom. Just because he/she hasn't been deployed yet doesn't mean they won't be. They still signed up to protect your freedom. I have always respected military personel regardless of past service deployments.

Now it's a bit different. I grew up in a family that served but no one actively serving. Once I married my wife it became even more personal in that she has a cousin in literally all fields of the military besides the Air Force I believe....with her cousin, who is my son's Godfather and I'm closest to of all her family members, in the Army currently in the middle of his 3rd tour, this time in Afghanastan.

These people deserve your respect 100% of the time.

Also, I know you didn't mean any disrespect by your post...

Edited by Coorslight

Yes, because the Canadian national anthem protects your very right for that freedom day in and day out, just as much as soldiers do.

It doesn't matter if they have been deployed yet. In signing up for the military, you are making a commitment strong enough and are aware of the grave consequences. That, to me, is worth a standing ovation in itself

No one sings along to it here like they do in Canada. Is it right? Not really, I'd like to see it too...I don't even see a lot of people put their hands over their hearts. However, it's not like we are the only arena NOT to sing along to the US anthem.

I don't put my hand over my heart because its the anthem not the pledge of allegiance. I do sing along and look at the flag though.

That's the whole problem, there are so many different opinions on these kind of things that you can never make anyone happy.

If you think that's bad, you should hear what they do up in Canada when they sing the United States national anthem. That goes double in Montreal.

This. Throw in how Boston's fans responded with class to the Canadien national anthem after - yes BOSTON's fans. End thread

Oh and they CAN keep the land - too much of it is unmanageable and infertile.

Edited by Neb00rs

image.png

These things will never, ever, ever go away. Just because we are Devils fans does not make us better or above any other fanbase. Every fanbase is going to have a varied group of people. Some people think that what's being complained about is funny because that's their sense of humor. Some people think it's terrible and end up starting threads like this one. In the end, this discussion will come up a couple times a year, and will be the equivalent of slamming on the gas when you're stuck in the mud. Not going to get anywhere.

DOC E. probably remembers this one, since he was doing the play-by-play...

It was the 3rd and deciding game of the championship round in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, USA vs Canada, at the Molson Center (now the Bell Center) in Montreal.

Canadians booed for the entire US national anthem, the Booing was so loud, you could barely hear the US anthem.. That's has to be the most memorable antics I've witnessed during a national anthem being played.

No one sings along to it here like they do in Canada. Is it right? Not really, I'd like to see it too...I don't even see a lot of people put their hands over their hearts. However, it's not like we are the only arena NOT to sing along to the US anthem.

I don't put my hand over my heart because its the anthem not the pledge of allegiance. I do sing along and look at the flag though.

That's the whole problem, there are so many different opinions on these kind of things that you can never make anyone happy.

. I always put my hand over my heart for the both the Star Spangled Banner and the Pledge of Allegiance. Just what I've always done since I was a kid. Edited by MadDog2020

In 2007 against Ottawa in the playoffs, I was seated in 217 row 2. If you remember from the CAA days, corner sections were divided between the first 4 (?) rows and a bunch behind it, it was almost like a little no perks included box. When they got to "Goddddd keep our land", I yelled "you can have it!". The next line was "glorious and free.." to which the Sens fan next to me screamed "...from the Americans!". We laughed, and he and my dad clinked their beers. We talked about the game the whole time, and he shook our hands after Langs netted the double overtime goal.

If you're one of those people who takes it as me burning their flag, you need to grow the fvck up.

No one is saying its as bad as burning a flag. People have different morals and I am not the only one who thinks its pretty disrespectful. I should tell you to grow up if you are yelling it at every game. :giggle:

Edited by Zubie#8