Scf Game 7 Thread

msweet

As great as the 2000-03 teams were............

there was nothing like the first Cup.

The 1995 Devils were a juggernaut and they proved it by dominating in the playoffs. The other championship teams didn't dominate the way the 1995 team did.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, njbuff said:

As great as the 2000-03 teams were............

there was nothing like the first Cup.

The 1995 Devils were a juggernaut and they proved it by dominating in the playoffs. The other championship teams didn't dominate the way the 1995 team did.

In fairness, you don't see too many teams go 16-4 come playoff time...and though what happened happened, that goal that Hextall gave up with his team tied 2-2 in Game 5 was an absolute killer.   

I've brought it up before, but what made the 1995 team so odd is that they played like the 1995-96 team during most of the regular season, but like the 1993-94 team once the playoffs started.  People sometimes forget how good the 1993-94 team was, offensively AND defensively.  There was just one friggin' team in the whole damned NHL that year that they couldn't quite beat. 

The 2000 team of course had an awesome comeback to win their championship. 

The 2003 team definitely had to fight for it over the last two series...first having to survive Ottawa after being up 3-1, and then having to win the Finals in seven as well. 

But yeah, did feel like the 1995 team had a little magic going...especially Lemieux coming out of nowhere to score so many key goals.  His 1995 regular season was borderline disastrous. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

ha, same here.. my how things have changed. I thought last year was the start to our climb out of the dark hole... man was I fooled.

I think last year was the first step. This year is a bit of a setback but I think next season is going to be surprising in a good way. Not amazing of course, but I sign of an upward trend

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think last year was the first step. This year is a bit of a setback but I think next season is going to be surprising in a good way. Not amazing of course, but I sign of an upward trend

Yeah, the progression isn't always linear.  I think sometimes the organization comes off a little too "We're happy with where we're at" these days, but in general, I think Shero's in good position to improve the team.  As we all knew this was a year for evaluation, I think some guys are definitely not going to be part of the plan going forward (by virtue of having played themselves out of the future here). 

I'm not pessimistic. This team is so much closer to sustainable success than 4 years ago. With normal health, progression from  a younger roster, a healthy Hall, another good trade acquisition or two with the surplus of draft picks, hopefully another high end young player, tons of cap space. This rebuild could go either way but it definitely has potential to turn good again starting next year.  

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, you don't see too many teams go 16-4 come playoff time...and though what happened happened, that goal that Hextall gave up with his team tied 2-2 in Game 5 was an absolute killer.   

But yeah, did feel like the 1995 team had a little magic going...especially Lemieux coming out of nowhere to score so many key goals.  His 1995 regular season was borderline disastrous. 

What a crazy goal that was, it turned that whole series around. It was a Stanley Cup playoffs filled with memorable goals. When Randy McKay scored in OT on a mistake by the Boston defenseman in round 1, there was such a good feeling in the arena that night that this team had something special going. I'll also always remember McKay's 3-on-1 goal (started by a blocked shot) that practically put Philly away in Game 6 in Round 3. The noise was deafening.

• Like 2

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

What a crazy goal that was, it turned that whole series around. It was a Stanley Cup playoffs filled with memorable goals. When Randy McKay scored in OT on a mistake by the Boston defenseman in round 1, there was such a good feeling in the arena that night that this team had something special going. I'll also always remember McKay's 3-on-1 goal (started by a blocked shot) that practically put Philly away in Game 6 in Round 3. The noise was deafening.

Yeah I remember that very well...I had tix for the final two rounds of the playoffs that year (bought a strip)...also went to one of the wins vs. the Pens in the second round.  Lemieux's breakaway goal that really felt like the absolute exclamation point killer got the building going too.  Was a great win to see at home after a couple of tough losses there in Games 3 and 4.  I was down at Manasquan at a buddy's shore house with a lot of friends around for Game 5 of that series...including a Flyer fan, who for some reason thought his team was damn near a lock to pull the series out, even though the series was obviously tied up 2-2, and the game was tied 2-2.  The shock on his face when Lemieux scored that "Huh WHAT?!" goal so late in that game was priceless (ditto the faces of the Flyer faithful in attendance...the Spectrum just died right there and then).  He barely said a word for the next several hours.  I can only imagine how that crowd must have felt as they filtered out of the building...heh heh...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I was kinda bummed when Niewendyk got injured and never played for us in the playoffs. Gilmour and Ellet were disappointments too after having big years in Toronto. 

He played 17 games that year in the playoffs, he got hurt during game 6 of the conference finals and then tried to play in game 7 but had to leave during the game. He had 9 points in those 17 games. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I remember that very well...I had tix for the final two rounds of the playoffs that year (bought a strip)...also went to one of the wins vs. the Pens in the second round.  Lemieux's breakaway goal that really felt like the absolute exclamation point killer got the building going too.  Was a great win to see at home after a couple of tough losses there in Games 3 and 4.  I was down at Manasquan at a buddy's shore house with a lot of friends around for Game 5 of that series...including a Flyer fan, who for some reason thought his team was damn near a lock to pull the series out, even though the series was obviously tied up 2-2, and the game was tied 2-2.  The shock on his face when Lemieux scored that "Huh WHAT?!" goal so late in that game was priceless (ditto the faces of the Flyer faithful in attendance...the Spectrum just died right there and then).  He barely said a word for the next several hours.  I can only imagine how that crowd must have felt as they filtered out of the building...heh heh...

Yeah that Lemieux goal was an absolute back-breaker.  What's funny is that Hextall was still largely in his prime and goals like that were not too uncommon in those days.  These days if a goalie let up a goal like that he would be immediately pulled and sat the next game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

He played 17 games that year in the playoffs, he got hurt during game 6 of the conference finals and then tried to play in game 7 but had to leave during the game. He had 9 points in those 17 games. 

Was his injury ever actually released to the public?

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Thanks for that.  I distinctly remember in that video detailing the championship season they were very vague about what he actually injured.  Cool to finally know what it was. 

But interestingly enough, the second part of that article didn't age particularly well..

Kariya Bounces Back

Anaheim's captain, Paul Kariya, was asked this morning if he felt any lingering effects from the devastating open-ice hit he took from the Devils' Scott Stevens early in the second period of Game 6 on Saturday in Anaheim.

"No," Kariya said firmly. "Nope."

After flying cross-country with the Mighty Ducks on Sunday, Kariya, who has a history of concussions, did concede that the hit was probably the hardest he had ever taken in open ice. Stevens caught an unsuspecting Kariya flush on the jaw with a shoulder check, a shot that did not draw a penalty.

After lying motionless on his back for several minutes, Kariya had to be helped off by two teammates. But he returned midway through the second period and blasted a slap shot past Devils goalie Martin Brodeur for his first career goal in the finals. Today, Kariya stuck by his contention that Stevens's hit was illegal.

"I thought it was a little bit late," Kariya said.

But Kariya, who has sustained four concussions but none since 1998, said he was not surprised that he was able to bounce back.

"I train myself physically to take hard hits," Kariya, a diminutive left wing, said. "I work out hard in the off-season with weights and I wear good equipment. It's all part of the game."

I mean he clearly lied - he's come out to say he has like.. no memory of the hit or several days afterwards.  I mean I guess he could've felt 'fine', but he was still concussed. 

It'd be interesting to see how this event would play out in today's NHL.  If Kariya gets blasted like that in the 2019 Stanley Cup finals, is there any chance anyone lets him step back on the ice?

Edited by Devilsfan118

16 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Thanks for that.  I distinctly remember in that video detailing the championship season they were very vague about what he actually injured.  Cool to finally know what it was. 

But interestingly enough, the second part of that article didn't age particularly well..

I mean he clearly lied - he's come out to say he has like.. no memory of the hit or several days afterwards.  I mean I guess he could've felt 'fine', but he was still concussed. 

It'd be interesting to see how this event would play out in today's NHL.  If Kariya gets blasted like that in the 2019 Stanley Cup finals, is there any chance anyone lets him step back on the ice?

Probably not and Stevens would have certainly been suspended as well.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Probably not and Stevens would have certainly been suspended as well.

Yup, this. One of many suspensions he would have had in his career (Lindros, Kozlov, etc.).

I’m not an advocate of direct shots to people’s heads, but now if someone even gets hit somewhat hard, it’s unusual. Usually they’re just rubbing up against each other like frisky high schoolers. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.