Cheapest Bars by The Rock!

cheetrum

Since I'm usually with my son, I don't get the chance to stop at a bar after the game, I do grab a few during though, hopefully this season. And on a brighter side, I brew my own beer as a hobby, best hobby in the world :cheers:

I have always wanted to brew my own beer. Is that an expensive hobby? :noclue:

I brew extract batches with steeping grains (think of making tea), I do a 5 gallon recipe with liquid yeast it'll cost me anywhere from 30-45 dollars, I'll get 2 cases of good beer. If you brew All grain, i've seen people brew up a 5 gal recipe for 17 bucks. I have 2 fermenters, so I usually have 2 batches going (and 1 or two in bottles). A few weeks ago I had 7 cases of beer here lol, down to a modest 4.5 now :whistling: No better feeling walking into a party with a few 6 packs of your own beer, then watch as everyone drinks your beer before they drink any store brought.

If you have any questions or are looking into it, best place to start is here..great forum

Homebrewtalk

Have alot of fun making labels also.

here's my brewing blog Pembroke Farms Brewery

Edited by devs215

• 1 month later...

Me and one of the guys in my house have been doing that and working towards to having 6 different types for the christmas season. It's been pretty cool.

I brew extract batches with steeping grains (think of making tea), I do a 5 gallon recipe with liquid yeast it'll cost me anywhere from 30-45 dollars, I'll get 2 cases of good beer. If you brew All grain, i've seen people brew up a 5 gal recipe for 17 bucks. I have 2 fermenters, so I usually have 2 batches going (and 1 or two in bottles). A few weeks ago I had 7 cases of beer here lol, down to a modest 4.5 now :whistling: No better feeling walking into a party with a few 6 packs of your own beer, then watch as everyone drinks your beer before they drink any store brought.

If you have any questions or are looking into it, best place to start is here..great forum

Homebrewtalk

Have alot of fun making labels also.

here's my brewing blog Pembroke Farms Brewery

Food at the Arena Lounge is pretty good and reasonably priced. A big burger with ham/egg/cheese on it (The Arena Burger) and a sh!t load of good fries is 10$.

As for beer, the imports are 4 and 5$ but they have Bud Lite Lime, Michelob, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Lite and stuff like that for 3$ per mug. The staff is really friendly as well. We've been friends with them for two or three years now and hang out with them outside of hockey season too.

Food at the Arena Lounge is pretty good and reasonably priced. A big burger with ham/egg/cheese on it (The Arena Burger) and a sh!t load of good fries is 10$.

As for beer, the imports are 4 and 5$ but they have Bud Lite Lime, Michelob, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Lite and stuff like that for 3$ per mug. The staff is really friendly as well. We've been friends with them for two or three years now and hang out with them outside of hockey season too.

Interesting, I heard someone ripping on the place the other day saying they didn't allow jerseys and they didn't have enough TVS... I have only been in there a handful of times and I think it was okay, just not enough of a restaurant for my tastes.

I would actually like to retract all the nice things I've said over the years about Arena Lounge and will be looking for a new place for us to have dinner and drinks before games.

Won't be going back there ANY time soon.

Edited by njdevil26

I would actually like to retract all the nice things I've said over the years about Arena Lounge and will be looking for a new place for us to have dinner and drinks before games.

Won't be going back there ANY time soon.

You've always been the biggest supporter of that place.. What the hell happened!!??

Colin I'm going to send you a Facebook message with what happened. Comment on it here when you're done reading haha.

That's just fvcked up dude.. No loyalty to you after you were loyal for so long.. I definitely won't be going there this season if they are charging those high prices and management stinks.. Be sure to post back when you have your new pregame spot picked out :cheers:

Well I was kind of hesitant to post it here because they had an account here and used to post and stuff but the guy that did it was Hugo and I don't even think he works there anymore... so

here's the story...

So here's the story. I've been going to Arena since the Prudential Center opened. I've been bringing friends every time I go, promoting the hell out of the place on Facebook and Twitter and so on... I booked two bands to play at their parties... I've been a very very loyal customer to them. Going to every home game there... a lot of away games... and we even brought people all summer during their non-hockey season events.

In March, I was asking Miguel where he got the bar-stools that they have because we needed new ones at my house... he told me to come back the next day. I came back the next day, and he pulled four out of the back and said you can take them... clean them up and they're yours. We have a lot of extras.

Jamie and I offered him money but he wouldn't take it. It was really nice of him. So the first time of the season we were there was last Saturday when we played the Rangers. I brought six people there. We racked up a 200$ bill. I was surprised to see that we were charged full price for EVERYTHING. We were even charged 10$ for an 8$ burger. I didn't say anything. They usually give us breaks, free drinks, blah blah blah. They also charged Jamie 16$ for one mixed drink!

So then fast forward to Friday against the Isles.. I brought 5 people with me. Again we were spending a crap load of money. And again, no breaks. I even said to the one bartender Valesca "You should have a drink!" Just trying to be friendly... she actually got herself a Corona and charged us for it! Then towards the end before we went into the arena... I saw the second owner Tony came in... He and Miguel were arguing about something. Then Tony comes over to me... says he understands I "borrowed" four bar stools last year... and he needs them back right away.... tonight or tomorrow.

I said they were given to me... I had no idea they were to be borrowed. Then he started getting nasty with me asking who gave them to me... when it was... was I charged. And then he kept saying "this is a problem.." Miguel, who gave them to me, was then nowhere to be found.

Seems like he got in trouble somehow (which is weird considering it is 7 months later) and is just leaving me to be screwed. So Tony asked when I can get them back and I said I'll have to see and he just shook his head and walked away. We settled our tab... again close to 200$... no breaks... not a dollar off a damn thing. We were treated pretty well by them for a few years... and it's completely different and we feel like we've been their best customers and are now being treated like garbage.

Edited by njdevil26

Man that f-ing stinks, I hate seeing stories like that. I was just saying to people last night how we are very specific about where we dine ect in Newark because we like supporting fellow locals and knowing the owners. Either way I think the massively screwed up with arena and the owners are fighting/trying to get out of the business. I don't know them but I know the rumor mill had the guys from bcbg taking a look at the place. The problem is they want 900k to buy the bar but not get the building so i don't see how you finance that give the vacancies around the arena. Either way you soon will have even more choices as the bar in the parking garage is moving along as well as the two at Edison so by next season there will be lots of choices right next to the arena, so hopefully that will create pricing pressure. If nothing else, go to Hell's kitchen, Bellos, Scullys or some of the other locals that are a bit farther out but know how to treat their customers.

Well I was kind of hesitant to post it here because they had an account here and used to post and stuff but the guy that did it was Hugo and I don't even think he works there anymore... so

here's the story...

So here's the story. I've been going to Arena since the Prudential Center opened. I've been bringing friends every time I go, promoting the hell out of the place on Facebook and Twitter and so on... I booked two bands to play at their parties... I've been a very very loyal customer to them. Going to every home game there... a lot of away games... and we even brought people all summer during their non-hockey season events.

In March, I was asking Miguel where he got the bar-stools that they have because we needed new ones at my house... he told me to come back the next day. I came back the next day, and he pulled four out of the back and said you can take them... clean them up and they're yours. We have a lot of extras.

Jamie and I offered him money but he wouldn't take it. It was really nice of him. So the first time of the season we were there was last Saturday when we played the Rangers. I brought six people there. We racked up a 200$ bill. I was surprised to see that we were charged full price for EVERYTHING. We were even charged 10$ for an 8$ burger. I didn't say anything. They usually give us breaks, free drinks, blah blah blah. They also charged Jamie 16$ for one mixed drink!

So then fast forward to Friday against the Isles.. I brought 5 people with me. Again we were spending a crap load of money. And again, no breaks. I even said to the one bartender Valesca "You should have a drink!" Just trying to be friendly... she actually got herself a Corona and charged us for it! Then towards the end before we went into the arena... I saw the second owner Tony came in... He and Miguel were arguing about something. Then Tony comes over to me... says he understands I "borrowed" four bar stools last year... and he needs them back right away.... tonight or tomorrow.

I said they were given to me... I had no idea they were to be borrowed. Then he started getting nasty with me asking who gave them to me... when it was... was I charged. And then he kept saying "this is a problem.." Miguel, who gave them to me, was then nowhere to be found.

Seems like he got in trouble somehow (which is weird considering it is 7 months later) and is just leaving me to be screwed. So Tony asked when I can get them back and I said I'll have to see and he just shook his head and walked away. We settled our tab... again close to 200$... no breaks... not a dollar off a damn thing. We were treated pretty well by them for a few years... and it's completely different and we feel like we've been their best customers and are now being treated like garbage.

What a crock. If you really have no intention of going back you should keep the stools. They were given to you. I don't think they have any way to claim or prove that you "stole" them.

What a crock. If you really have no intention of going back you should keep the stools. They were given to you. I don't think they have any way to claim or prove that you "stole" them.

As of right now we're keeping them and not going back there. I honestly think Tony found out about it or something and Miguel just threw me under the bus so he didn't have to deal with it. Tony is never there and when he actually does show up, he and Miguel argue about stuff.

Besides the place being for sale on Craigslist, they have an actual listing for it on the Garden State MLS system. It's for sale for over 900k and has been up there for two years. I was under the impression that you'd also get possession of the two upstairs apartments if you bought it but I'm not totally sure. The value isn't too terrible considering the purchase price comes with the liquor license. But still.

We are doing the bar crawl on Friday and maybe we'll like a place enough to stay there. We definitely want to try Port 44. We haven't been to Scully's either. Hell's Kitchen is a good time but it gets VERY crowded. We shall see!

That is really messed up. I have read about the Arena Lounge for quite some time on here and through others, and lately the general vibe I get is that they are going downhill based on more than a few people commenting about it either on here or in person when I am in Newark on game days. Sounds like you were thrown under the bus by Miguel but it goes to show you cannot trust anyone these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping they're just closed for the summer and will open back up at the start of hockey season.. Beer was cheap, atmosphere was fun, and the food was absolutely amazing.. DiG bought me my first shot of Jack there and I've been addicted to the stuff ever since

That was my spot last year. The owner Mike, was pretty cool and I couldn't believe how good the food was considering it was nothing special. Plus the price was great.... I couldn't believe it when I saw that they were shot down on opening night. That sucks, they had only opened a little over a year ago.. Does anyone know the story about someone being murdered there?

That is really messed up. I have read about the Arena Lounge for quite some time on here and through others, and lately the general vibe I get is that they are going downhill based on more than a few people commenting about it either on here or in person when I am in Newark on game days. Sounds like you were thrown under the bus by Miguel but it goes to show you cannot trust anyone these days.

Arena lounge is an ok place for a few beers... the Food is ok. There main issue, IMO, is the wait staff/bartenders are too inconsistent with the level of service.

Since the pru center opened, the arena bar has made a ton of money with Devils fans being so close to the arena. much more than before the pru center. They need to remember Devils fans are the reason they were able to spend 1 million in renovations!