DeBoer would welcome having Schneider and Brodeur as Devils’ two goa

msweet

Back from serving as an assistant coach on Team Canada in the world championships in Minsk, Belarus, Devils coach Pete DeBoer says he doesn’t know yet what will happen with goaltender Martin Brodeur, but he’d welcome having the future Hall of Famer and Cory Schneider back as his two goaltenders again next season.

The 42-year-old Brodeur, who is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, has already stated he will explore the market before deciding what he’ll do, including possibly returning to the Devils, and also hasn't ruled out retirement if he can’t find the right fit for him. “First off, having been able to coach Marty Brodeur for three years has been privilege,” DeBoer said in an interview with Hockey Night in Canada Radio Wednesday. “You talk about a guy that will be able to tell his grandkids that he coached the best goaltender of all time and Jaromir Jagr on the same team, that’s something that I’ll always remember. “I did have a conversation with Marty at the end of the year. I think we’re in a wait and see kind of situation here. I haven’t gotten any updates on that. I can tell you if he wants to come back, I would welcome him with open arms.

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/deboer_would_welcome_having_schneider_and_brodeur_as_devils_two_goaltenders_again_next_season/#sthash.Ty8u3AIT.dpuf

For many, the Rangers success makes them ill. Stuff like this makes me ill. I don't think it's just PR, anymore.

Btw, we have a small discussion of the interview TG is transcribing in another thread posted earlier.

If Lou says it I'll be ill.  He's the one that worries me vis-a-vis Marty.  

Pete can say what he wants, Pete was saying the same things when he benched Marty for weeks at a time.  Pete knows darn well he can't have any blood on his hands if (when?) Marty leaves.  Heck, it's entirely possible they know Marty's gone anyway.  He certainly seemed to want out at the deadline but Lou wouldn't deal him and nothing really changed after that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wouldn't be surprised if he's back.  Don't think another team will want him for the role that Marty is hoping for.

I think playing time is going to be 80/20 Cory this year, and Marty will know this going in unlike last year when he rightfully had to lose the #1 job, rather than having it handed over to Cory.

Marty will realize his new role IMO.  Guy is Devil for life and a team player.  Don't forget the money this guy passed up in order to stay with New Jersey.

Edited by oofrostonoo

I still think Pete is being Mr. Nice here. I really can't see them bringing Marty back unless they announce that he's back and will be strictly in a backup role. Otherwise they'll be too many questions. Also, I don't see them resigning Marty without signing Cory first. They don't want Cory getting the wrong ideas.

I still think Pete is being Mr. Nice here. I really can't see them bringing Marty back unless they announce that he's back and will be strictly in a backup role. Otherwise they'll be too many questions. Also, I don't see them resigning Marty without signing Cory first. They don't want Cory getting the wrong ideas.

The decision is up to Brodeur. There is no way Lou says no to Marty. Marty knows Cory needs to be the starter. He cares about the organization. Him coming back would be a detriment, and holy crap it be an awful spot for Cory.

I can't see Brodeur coming back to NJ to sit on the bench all season for Cory. And if somehow he does, I have no comfort in Pete treating Brodeur as a 15-18 game backup. It probably turn into a 52-30 BS split.

fvckK YOU PETE FOR DOING ALL THESE OFF-SEASON INTERVIEWS. I was in such a calm place.

Edited by devilsrule33

The issue I have with the interview is the supposed conversation at the end of the season.  What could that conversation be?  'Hey Marty, thanks for the .900 SV% and being the worst shootout goalie in the league last year, we'd love to have you back, at age 42.'

Ryan Miller is going to have trouble finding a starting gig.  How is Brodeur supposed to do it?

DeBoer still doesn't get it, so he cannot have Brodeur.  Brodeur was still starting non-back to back games in March.  That cannot happen. 

Yep. 

If Brodeur is back, I don't expect this to be anything more than an aggravating clusterfvck.  Cory deserves to be the #1 with no nonsense, and there are younger backups out there who can be better than Marty's been the last two seasons and can mentally handle being a backup.  End of story.

i dont think its as big of a deal as what a lot of people are making it as long as he accepts a lesser role

Thing is just based on his words and actions last year he won't and Pete and Lou will be hard to put their foot down on this. He really should just retire and enjoy brodeur night for when they retire his number for his last hurrah.

i dont think its as big of a deal as what a lot of people are making it as long as he accepts a lesser role

You're assuming that he'll also succeed in a lesser role.  That is far from being a sure bet.  I've said it before, but the Devils are going to need good performances from their backup too.  Two seasons of .901 play suggest Marty will be shaky at best.

I'm hoping (but not 100% sure) that this is nothing more than lip service to Brodeur...and the decision has already been made to cut ties with him. However, after Brodeurs career is over we do have to stay on good terms with him, so maybe this is with an eye towards that

You can't expect the Devils to bash the guy...or even tell harsh truths about him. We have to keep the fantasy going to keep him happy

Just my opinion but I get the vibe that DeBoer continually lies about Brodeur in the press and doesn't really believe what he says. He's somewhat powerless in the situation given how tight Lou/Brodeur are. I'm sure he felt some pressure last year to play Brodeur against his better judgement knowing Lou's track record of firing coaches. Gotta keep Lou and Brodeur happy, unfortunately.

Hopefully Lou just tells Brodeur it's over this summer. I'd feel horrible for Schneider (and our chances of retaining him) if Brodeur is back next year.

• Like 1

What did you guys expect?? For DeBoer to say, "Oh yeah, Marty's done and I think he's going to be lucky to find a job ANYWHERE next year."  Gimme a break you guys.  ANY coach would be saying the same things about Brodeur if they were in DeBoer's position right now.  Almost everyone on the board likes to attack DeBoer because of this and it's increasingly annoying.  Why would DeBoer drag the name of a future HOF'er through the mud?  It would be seen as a sign of disrespect.  Look at this issue from a different perspective, if Jaromir Jagr, whose in the same position as Brodeur (age, contract term) put up 30 points on the season instead of 67, PDB would be saying the exact same thing about Jagr. 

It's comes down to how many game Cory will get next season. I don't see the problem with Brodeur getting 15-20 games and Cory getting 62-67.  For some reason it's fvcking blasphemy to have Brodeur ride the pine for 60 games. 

"Brodeur said today that Schneider will be the Devils No. 1 next season and that if he does come back it would be in a designated backup role.  The question is can Brodeur, after 20 seasons of being a starter, accept being a backup."  - TG 4/13

Brodeur admits that it was rough to share the net and I believe that he understands the side effects of having these one growing ego in Cory Schneider and a very large one in Marty.  Apparently it's fvcking impossible for a ego as large as Martin Brodeur to fade into obscurity. 

Brodeur said today that Schneider will be the Devils’ clear No. 1 next season and that if he does come back it would be in the designated backup role. The question is can Brodeur, after 20 seasons of being a starter, accept being the backup. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_wanted_to_get_this_win_for_brodeur_deboer_sharing_net_wasnt_easy_for_either_goalie/#sthash.Au9G145H.dpuf

What did you guys expect?? For DeBoer to say, "Oh yeah, Marty's done and I think he's going to be lucky to find a job ANYWHERE next year."  Gimme a break you guys.  ANY coach would be saying the same things about Brodeur if they were in DeBoer's position right now.  Almost everyone on the board likes to attack DeBoer because of this and it's increasingly annoying.  Why would DeBoer drag the name of a future HOF'er through the mud?  It would be seen as a sign of disrespect.  Look at this issue from a different perspective, if Jaromir Jagr, whose in the same position as Brodeur (age, contract term) put up 30 points on the season instead of 67, PDB would be saying the exact same thing about Jagr. 

It's comes down to how many game Cory will get next season. I don't see the problem with Brodeur getting 15-20 games and Cory getting 62-67.  For some reason it's fvcking blasphemy to have Brodeur ride the pine for 60 games. 

Brodeur admits that it was rough to share the net and I believe that he understands the side effects of having these one growing ego in Cory Schneider and a very large one in Marty.  Apparently it's fvcking impossible for a ego as large as Martin Brodeur to fade into obscurity. 

Brodeur said today that Schneider will be the Devils’ clear No. 1 next season and that if he does come back it would be in the designated backup role. The question is can Brodeur, after 20 seasons of being a starter, accept being the backup. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_wanted_to_get_this_win_for_brodeur_deboer_sharing_net_wasnt_easy_for_either_goalie/#sthash.Au9G145H.dpuf

It's cool that Brodeur gets to name the starter of the team, but how about Pete doing it?  How about Pete saying 'Well, Cory established himself as the starting goalie, but you need that other guy, you can't just get by on one guy in this league, and we'd love to have Brodeur back in that role, who's better than him in that spot?  It's a coach's dream.'  Did Pete ever say that Schneider was the starter last year?  Would he say it this year if Brodeur were brought back?  

We didn't hear that.  Instead we heard a coach talking about a conversation and once again bending over backwards to give accolades to a guy.