I am so happy Kovy can now lead.

Neb00rs

I don't agree with the whole "whining" bit, I don't think Parise was ever a whiner or complainer. However I do see Kovy as more of a warrior and WAY more of a clutch player.. Parise has never really been there for us when it really and truly mattered. I have more clutch memories of Henrique than I do of Parise, and it's only been about a year..

Nice post, ben00rs. I don't really agree with the Parise-bashing parts, but the rest of it is an excellent Kovalchuk appreciation. Good job. :koolaid:

To tie this in with the "new captain" discussion, I would feel a little bit better about Kovy getting the C than I intimated in that thread. It still isn't a choice I would make at this time -- I would keep him as one of the alternates -- but if the Devils do name Kovalchuk as their captain, I'd be okay with that.

Nice post, ben00rs. I don't really agree with the Parise-bashing parts, but the rest of it is an excellent Kovalchuk appreciation. Good job. :koolaid:

Thanks and I agree with the criticism. Looking back, I my have been over-venting on the Parise parts - but I don't feel guilty about it because I think a lot of us felt that way at the time. Again, IMO I think it's true that there is a difference in the humility and desires between Kovy and Parise but I think if I wrote it today, I would less demonize Zach.

To tie this in with the "new captain" discussion, I would feel a little bit better about Kovy getting the C than I intimated in that thread. It still isn't a choice I would make at this time -- I would keep him as one of the alternates -- but if the Devils do name Kovalchuk as their captain, I'd be okay with that.

Rowdy, disappointed your post on Parise got deleted from a thread that was deleted because the guy posted the same thing in the large thread. It was the most well-written and thoughtful post on Parise leaving. Shame it is gone.

I have to disagree with you on the nice post part because even though we want to turn the loss of Parise in to a positive in some way, it's pathetic to make up stuff and diminish everything Parise is done for the organization.

Calling Parise a whiner? Give me a break. Always talking about how filled the arena is? Show me two quotes talking about how empty it is? Blaming the team for playoff loses? Never happened. Acted like he didn't want the 'C'? That's ridiculous and he has been commended over and over again by his teammates for what a good job he has done being called the "ultimate leader" and "ultimate professional". To even question Zach as leader is really dumb. To compare Kovalchuk to Stevens and Parise to Langenbrunner again is dumb, and how many people went along with this..is blowing my mind.

And the reality about Kovy, he didn't necessarily want to be a Devil. Three teams made offers for him, two when you immediately eliminate the Islanders (compared to a reported 15-20 for Zach). But the Kings offer wasn't even in the same ballpark. And if Kovy's hometown was in the NHL, I bet he'd be looking to sign there too. Not saying Kovy can't be everything people want him to be here or close to it, but we don't need to make sh!t up about a great player and his time in NJ to put Kovy on a pedestal.

Edited by devilsrule33

Rowdy, disappointed your post on Parise got deleted from a thread that was deleted because the guy posted the same thing in the large thread. It was the most well-written and thoughtful post on Parise leaving. Shame it is gone.

I have to disagree with you on the nice post part because even though we want to turn the loss of Parise in to a positive in some way, it's pathetic to make up stuff and diminish everything Parise is done for the organization.

Calling Parise a whiner? Give me a break. Always talking about how filled the arena is? Show me two quotes talking about how empty it is? Blaming the team for playoff loses? Never happened. Acted like he didn't want the 'C'? That's ridiculous and he has been commended over and over again by his teammates for what a good job he has done being called the "ultimate leader" and "ultimate professional". To even question Zach as leader is really dumb. To compare Kovalchuk to Stevens and Parise to Langenbrunner again is dumb, and how many people went along with this..is blowing my mind.

And the reality about Kovy, he didn't necessarily want to be a Devil. Three teams made offers for him, two when you immediately eliminate the Islanders (compared to a reported 15-20 for Zach). But the Kings offer wasn't even in the same ballpark. And if Kovy's hometown was in the NHL, I bet he'd be looking to sign there too. Not saying Kovy can't be everything people want him to be here or close to it, but we don't need to make sh!t up about a great player and his time in NJ to put Kovy on a pedestal.

Ok, like I said...I have chilled on the Parise demonization. However, I could definitely show you quotes in which Parise talks about that - as a matter of fact, he did it yesterday. He just knew how to deliver it in the right way. I definitely felt like Parise wasn't thrilled about the captaincy, felt that way all year. Parise definitely can be compared to Langs - they both got along very well...I like Langs - just felt he never took enough accountability.

Looking back - whine may have been the wrong word. It was less than that. A lot less. However, again, I do feel like Parise was never thrilled to be here and you have been way over the top in not letting people vent and acting as the Parise Nazi - as if you are above saying anything is wrong with him.

Secondly - Kovy ended up going here - that's what counts. Not only that let me tell you something - I have lived in LA and NJ and I really have to say - Kovy gave up the chance to play in a rockstar town. The staples center is an amazing place to spend your career. But that meant nothing to Kovy. Not only that he has become the Devils prototype - buying into everything and never giving up. And never saying one negative thing through all our negativity.

Again - this was less about Parise - he's gone - and more about Kovy as the title suggests.

Edited by ben00rs

Ok, like I said...I have chilled on the Parise demonization. However, I could definitely show you quotes in which Parise talks about that - as a matter of fact, he did it yesterday. He just knew how to deliver it in the right way. I definitely felt like Parise wasn't thrilled about the captaincy, felt that way all year. Parise definitely can be compared to Langs - they both got along very well...I like Langs - just felt he never took enough accountability.

Looking back - whine may have been the wrong word. It was less than that. A lot less. However, again, I do feel like Parise was never thrilled to be here and you have been way over the top in not letting people vent and acting as the Parise Nazi - as if you are above saying anything is wrong with him.

Secondly - Kovy ended up going here - that's what counts. Not only that let me tell you something - I have lived in LA and NJ and I really have to say - Kovy gave up the chance to play in a rockstar town. The staples center is an amazing place to spend your career. But that meant nothing to Kovy. Not only that he has become the Devils prototype - buying into everything and never giving up. And never saying one negative thing through all our negativity.

Again - this was less about Parise - he's gone - and more about Kovy as the title suggests.

I don't think while Parise was here, he talked about empty crowds. He did mention almost every playoff game how great the crowd was. At the end of the day, players like playing in jam packed sold out arenas every night over 12-14,000 fans a night. And get ready for Minnesota Wild announcers or reporters looking for a big compliment to say something along the lines of "Zach, sell outs every night, this must be something you're not used to coming from NJ, how good does this feel?" And the answer isn't going to be what you want to hear.

As much as I am happy Kovy here, I have no doubt that if LA offered a competitive offer, which we know it was not, he'd be there. But I couldn't care less if that's the case either.

I got no issue with venting and being really pissed, but I don't like people changing history either or making things up. I said I'd take a few days off from the boards after the Parise decision because I knew it be bad, but I stayed because I felt there needed to be another side here. There is more than enough people agreeing with you. Definitely room for a different opinion.

I don't think while Parise was here, he talked about empty crowds. He did mention almost every playoff game how great the crowd was. At the end of the day, players like playing in jam packed sold out arenas every night over 12-14,000 fans a night. And get ready for Minnesota Wild announcers or reporters looking for a big compliment to say something along the lines of "Zach, sell outs every night, this must be something you're not used to coming from NJ, how good does this feel?" And the answer isn't going to be what you want to hear.

As much as I am happy Kovy here, I have no doubt that if LA offered a competitive offer, which we know it was not, he'd be there. But I couldn't care less if that's the case either.

I got no issue with venting and being really pissed, but I don't like people changing history either or making things up. I said I'd take a few days off from the boards after the Parise decision because I knew it be bad, but I stayed because I felt there needed to be another side here. There is more than enough people agreeing with you. Definitely room for a different opinion.

Making up history? What history did I make up? That's the thing...I have only talked about my feelings on the type of player Parise is. Can't be proved or disproved. None of my gripes are with ZP's on ice play - he was a bull - back in the finals however, I did call for him to step up as captain. I don't hold that against him now. The general point against him I made was that he is a typical 2012 Xbox kid that grew up with American pop culture and Kovy is more of an old school guy. And I was making a bigger point about the difference in the two types of players and the way the game is changing. I was saying the Devils are old-school and Parise doesn't fit into that equation. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, just not the Devils way and not my cup of tea.

Edited by ben00rs

I couldn't agree with you more, dr33. I understand the frustration, I'm bummed about Zach leaving, too. But changing the past to make it look like he never did one good thing for the team and like we never really liked him... That just seems immature.

We sports fans like to idealize our heroes and demonize anyone we don't like. Kovy is a great player, but he's no superhuman. Zach decided to leave - bad for us, but he had several possibilities there and it just looks like there was that one offer he ultimately liked more than the one from Lou. Doesn't mean he hated playing for the Devils. He doesn't play for us anymore, we don't root for him anymore, let's move on.

kovalchuk has been leading all along, are we watching the same game.

its not rewriting history, go back and look at the tape, zach was showcasing his knee all seaon.

kovy has been getting ragged on because hes a leader and can handle it.

all zach can handle is suter's boner

• 1 year later...

Do you ever get tired of being right all the time, DR33?

Do you ever get tired of being right all the time, DR33?

Ha, all I knew was this:

"They build it up just to burn it back down

They build it up just to burn it back down"

Everyone was so angry with Zach that they built up Kovy to something he was not to feel a lot better about the situation. That was a mistake. And once, just like people who said all these great things about Zach's game only to change their mind, and say he didn't do crap in the playoffs or the Cup run....have done the same with Kovy, now talking about how he wasn't even that good to begin with and was lazy, etc. Not everyone, but a lot of people.

I love the Devils and sports, but I rarely ever get emotionally attached to players or care what they do with their lives. I was gutted when Kovy retired. But never angry at the player. His life. His decision. Not going to try and walk in his shoes. 

To be fair he could have signed in the KHL when he was a FA last time (and threatened to do so) but he didn't.  If we didn't have a lockout odds are this thread isn't bumped.  But yeah people were making Kovy out to be more than what he was regardless.  I mean people acted like his contract showed he was selfless because the cap hit was small which wasn't the case at all - he got his money over the first ten years of the deal and the Devils paid for it dearly, so it wasn't exactly selfless.

Edited by NJDevs4978