New Jersey needs at least *A* winger

Triumph

I see a lot of talk about Sykora and Tedenby maybe being replacements for Ponikarovsky and Parise - I sure hope not. Not because Sykora and Tedenby are necessarily bad - I mean, they are, but that's not why. It's because the Devils team, in 2013-14, right now looks like this:

?-?-Kovalchuk

?-Henrique-?

?-Josefson-?

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

The Devils have 6 potential openings in their top 9 after next season. This is kinda unfathomable after Lou's winger obsession of the late 00s - the Devils have too few wingers, and no one in the minor league system who is even close to ready to replace any of them, besides Tedenby who I don't count on at all.

There's a lot of teams who could probably use another defenseman, and the only top 4 D left on the market are Michal Roszival and Carlo Colaiacovo - the Devils have to look at teams with potential excesses at forward and needs at defense, like St. Louis, Edmonton, and Nashville, and get a cost-controlled player off of them. Failing that, I wouldn't mind Semin, Kostitsyn, or one of the free agent wingers who's young.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of talk about Sykora and Tedenby maybe being replacements for Ponikarovsky and Parise - I sure hope not. Not because Sykora and Tedenby are necessarily bad - I mean, they are, but that's not why. It's because the Devils team, in 2013-14, right now looks like this:

?-?-Kovalchuk

?-Henrique-?

?-Josefson-?

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

The Devils have 6 potential openings in their top 9 after next season. This is kinda unfathomable after Lou's winger obsession of the late 00s - the Devils have too few wingers, and no one in the minor league system who is even close to ready to replace any of them, besides Tedenby who I don't count on at all.

There's a lot of teams who could probably use another defenseman, and the only top 4 D left on the market are Michal Roszival and Carlo Colaiacovo - the Devils have to look at teams with potential excesses at forward and needs at defense, like St. Louis, Edmonton, and Nashville, and get a cost-controlled player off of them. Failing that, I wouldn't mind Semin, Kostitsyn, or one of the free agent wingers who's young.

A bit of a long shot, but not beyond the realm of possibility that Reid Boucher could be ready by 2013-14,

I would say no to Sykora at this point. Last year was nice overall, but I can't expect him to do it again.

Tedenby will get a shot to make the team...probably a make-or-break year for him, in terms of whether he plays himself out of the Devils' plans.

If Columbus comes down off their asking price, I'd at least inquire about Nash, but that's probably not a match.

Semin intrigues me, even though it's risky...I think DeBoer and the Devils could be a good match for him. Kovy could definitely help to sell him on the Devils' way of doing things if he ever came here.

A bit of a long shot, but not beyond the realm of possibility that Reid Boucher could be ready by 2013-14,

Boucher had a crap year in the OHL. If he's in the AHL this year, I'd be surprised if he got 20 goals. He will not be ready without a minor miracle.

How about Holmstrom - he might be old but we need someone like him. Someone who is aggressive and stands by the net, screening other players. I think he would be a fine addition to the 3rd line or so.

Kovy - Zajac - ???

Zubrus - Henrique-Clarkson

??? - Josefson - Holmstrom

Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Edited by TheMazz

I was looking at St Louis after the other thread about Shanahan and Stevens, the really dont have anyone outside Peron, Backes and Oshie i would want on the Devils, and only two of them are wingers. I feel similarly about Nashville.

The Oilers are deffinate option. There D is below average.

I think Lou should be looking at Kostitsyn and Mueller. Sign both to relatively cheap deals, at least 2 possibly 3 year deals and hope at least one of them works out.

While I agree with this I'm still 100% on the Semin bandwagon. As much of a longshot as it is If Lou could sign BOTH Semin and Andrei Kostitsyn then that would be a massive victory for this franchise.

While I agree with this I'm still 100% on the Semin bandwagon. As much of a longshot as it is If Lou could sign BOTH Semin and Andrei Kostitsyn then that would be a massive victory for this franchise.

I'd be all for Semin and Kostitsyn but I dont see anyway they both come here. I'm still all about Semin, just use Kovy as the influence. Screw it lets go for Semin, get Fetisov and Larionov out of retirement and go all Red Army next season...

I'd be all for Semin and Kostitsyn but I dont see anyway they both come here. I'm still all about Semin, just use Kovy as the influence. Screw it lets go for Semin, get Fetisov and Larionov out of retirement and go all Red Army next season...

What type of deal would Semin be looking for? 5 years/$35 mill?

There is no reason to rush.

I would not give Semin more that $4 million a season. I think his reputation around the league's has pretty much soured him with most GM's in the league. There will be no market for him other than teams trying to hit the capfloor and if its about money, we are better off without him.

I would not give Semin more that $4 million a season. I think his reputation around the league's has pretty much soured him with most GM's in the league. There will be no market for him other than teams trying to hit the capfloor and if its about money, we are better off without him.

He has talent...I think there are good teams that would give him a shot.

With guys like Brandon Dubinsky making $4 million a year, Semin's likely getting at least $5.5 million a season, and that's probably low. But I'd be stunned if it's for anything crazy long-term...maybe 7 years tops, and even that seems crazy.

There is tons of market for him and I wouldn't be surprised if either Detroit or Pittsburgh signed him.

I'd shop Clarkson and Greene together. I love Clarkson but his stock is at an all time high scoring 30 this year. He literally got every single break to go his way. His next contract is going to be huge. Greene has a decent contract and is a top four defensemen.

Maybe the both of them for Bobby Ryan. Like others have said, I think it's going to be an off the radar move.

I'd shop Clarkson and Greene together. I love Clarkson but his stock is at an all time high scoring 30 this year. He literally got every single break to go his way. His next contract is going to be huge. Greene has a decent contract and is a top four defensemen.

Maybe the both of them for Bobby Ryan. Like others have said, I think it's going to be an off the radar move.

Gonna take a lot more than that for Bobby Ryan. At the very least Merrill is going the other way.

And every GM knows that about Clarkson...they probably think he's a bit of a fluke, so his stock probably isn't as high as one might suspect. And he's a pending UFA to boot. Devils are probably better off hanging onto him.