The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

This is a long shot but does anyone have a text alert service that's free and will give me trade alerts? I have a dumb phone (can't trust myself to not drain the battery if my phone could play games have an iPod touch for that.) and I'd like to know if anything is going on at work

That's a ton for St. Louis, who is still very productive...but signed only through next year, and kind of old.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie1 min

Assuming St. Louis deal is finalized, I believe Tampa is looking at Callahan as a rental. No appetite for 6 years or $6M per. #Tradecentre

Considering the above tweet it seems like a strange deal all round.

Basically Tampa are getting a 1st and a 2nd.

That's a ton for St. Louis, who is still very productive...but signed only through next year, and kind of old.

It's actually a pretty awful return for Tampa, especially if they have no interest in giving Callahan an extension.  Basically a low first round pick, and a second.  Even worse if the picks are this year.   

Assuming St. Louis deal is finalized, I believe Tampa is looking at Callahan as a rental. No appetite for 6 years or $6M per. #Tradecentre

This would be insane for the Lightning.  A low first round pick and a second would essentially be the return for a guy like St. Louis.  They are a worse team this year with Callahan, who they evidently don't want to re-sign anyway. 

Which means they might even be looking to trade him?

It's actually a pretty awful return for Tampa, especially if they have no interest in giving Callahan an extension.  Basically a low first round pick, and a second.  Even worse if the picks are this year.   

Well despite his productivity, St. Louis' age plays into this as well. a 1st and a 2nd is always a solid return, because those picks can then be flipped for bodies if you don't want to use them in the draft. 

Callahan is not the player that St. Louis is, but he's not crap either.

Which means they might even be looking to trade him?

It's interesting in that Francessa mentioned that he heard that St. Louis to the Rangers would require another team to be involved.  Maybe the Rangers picks end up with the Isles, and Vanek ends up in Tampa?

It's interesting in that Francessa mentioned that he heard that St. Louis to the Rangers would require another team to be involved.  Maybe the Rangers picks end up with the Isles, and Vanek ends up in Tampa?

Or maybe Tampa thinks they can trade Callahan straight up for Vanek + a 1st, seems the isles are pretty dumb like that :D. But in seriousness maybe a true  straight up deal (guy for guy) works cuz the Isles could use a guy like RC imo, and they have the ability to sign him.

Edited by Sneax

Tampa may try to flip Callahan again who knows. It's probably a fair return considering st. Louis was said to only be interested in going to the rags... Kinda killed some of tampas leverage.

I just don't understand why after so many years in Tampa they have a shot at a deep playoff run and he wants out now. Is it seriously all for the Olympic snub that turned out not to be a snub?

Rags are better short term. Long term this will hurt.

they're going for it this year, and are formidable coming out of the east. Granted I don't think they can beat anybody in the west in a long series

they're going for it this year, and are formidable coming out of the east. Granted I don't think they can beat anybody in the west in a long series

Go Pens! Go Bruins! :D

I really doubt it.  You can count on St. Louis having at least 3 to 4 more years of very productive play.  And it's basically a certainty that he'll re-up with the Rangers after next year.  Rags are a fairly deep team, so they don't  really need the picks. 

Tampa got robbed. 

Rag fans and their Captain Cally BS can go take a hike now. Good player, but way overrated because of the team he plays on and the market he plays in.

If St. Louis doesn't deliver for the Rangers that fan base will turn on him FAST. 

"WE TRADE CAPTAIN CALLY FOR THIS MIDGET BRAH! YOU SUCK!"

Long-term this doesn't hurt the Rangers one bit.  They have the players to go for the Stanley Cup and now's the time.  St. Louis could play another 4 years too and all on discount contracts a la Selanne.

This is a great move for the Rangers. I don't know why they'd be upset at all. Time is now for them. Who cares about picks. Good teams don't need picks.

I really doubt it.  You can count on St. Louis having at least 3 to 4 more years of very productive play.  And it's basically a certainty that he'll re-up with the Rangers after next year.  Rags are a fairly deep team, so they don't  really need the picks. 

Tampa got robbed. 

An older player has about as much chance as being productive as they are hitting the age wall at that age.