Trade: Hartnell to CBJ for Umberger and a 4th

Derlique

Judging by fans' and GMs' reactions around the league, the Schneider trade was an absolute fleecing. I don't think anyone thinks Vancouver won that one. You'll remember commentators during/after the draft talking about other GMs being left with their jaws wide open in disbelief. It was bad, and Lou did it on the big (live) stage of the NHL Draft, which all of Canada watches on TV religiously.

Damn you guys are right, and he did it in front of an arena of fans as well as GMs.. Looking back on it, that was pretty boss, and he gave a look that said he knew it too haha

u3enegy6.jpg

Damn you guys are right, and he did it in front of an arena of fans as well as GMs.. Looking back on it, that was pretty boss, and he gave a look that said he knew it too haha

haha Yeah! He even got Vancouver's GM not to disclose any of it before the Draft, regardless of the trade being finalized on the Saturday, possible Friday night before Sunday's draft. Sure the reasons were probably "not to put a damper on the fans' attendance to the draft", but essentially, he held the news for the big stage which was pretty embarrassing for Vancouver. I'm sure Bo Horvat will do well in the league, but still... Even then, most people thought Vancouver could've had Horvat later in the round regardless, I don't remember him being ranked in the top 10 or 15 for that matter..

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm not so sure this is as much a fleecing as some are making it out to be. I see hartnell as basically a clarkson clone at this point- put him with Giroux and voracek and he may get 50 points while taking a ton of penalties, but it's not like he's a top line player by himself. Honestly I think the flyers just needed a shock to the system- they're not winning a cup anytime soon with their roster and by moving hartnell it puts some guys on notice.

Although that being said I do think the return is a bit underwhelming- I would of thought the flyers would look for (and get) a decent prospect/higher pick instead.

u3enegy6.jpg

I remember Bettman stopping and saying to the slightly boisterous crowd, "You're gonna wanna hear this..." :)

I'm not so sure this is as much a fleecing as some are making it out to be. I see hartnell as basically a clarkson clone at this point- put him with Giroux and voracek and he may get 50 points while taking a ton of penalties, but it's not like he's a top line player by himself. Honestly I think the flyers just needed a shock to the system- they're not winning a cup anytime soon with their roster and by moving hartnell it puts some guys on notice.

Although that being said I do think the return is a bit underwhelming- I would of thought the flyers would look for (and get) a decent prospect/higher pick instead.

He's not paid like a top line player.  He's paid like a 2nd/3rd line guy and that's what he is, and yeah he'll get worse, but Umberger is a much worse player.  Why do Philadelphia players need to be put on notice?  They've traded a top player on their team in 2 of the last 3 offseasons.  If players haven't learned that you can just get traded out of Philadelphia for no real reason, they're kinda thick.

The Schneider trade absolutely was a fleecing.  I have no idea what Gillis was thinking.  He could have picked up a decent player or lower end prospect, or a good player for Schneider, but Bo Horvat?  I thought they were trading for the pick to pick up Shinkaruk, and then Shinkaruk drops all the way to the OTHER Vancouver pick.  I do wish Lou kind of zeroed on in that one still or somehow got a chance on him. 

EDIT:  On topic however, I think CBJ wins this one for now.  Think of CBJ's top six with a guy like Hartnell now?  You're looking at a top line with Aktinson-Johansen-Anisimov/Jenner/Calvert (Slot those young guys where-ever you'd like, but THEN they now have a second line, consisting of Hartnell-Dubinsky-Horton.  That is a very difficult second line to play against. 

Edited by RizzMB30

He's not paid like a top line player. He's paid like a 2nd/3rd line guy and that's what he is, and yeah he'll get worse, but Umberger is a much worse player. Why do Philadelphia players need to be put on notice? They've traded a top player on their team in 2 of the last 3 offseasons. If players haven't learned that you can just get traded out of Philadelphia for no real reason, they're kinda thick.

The forward group is solid, it's the D that terrible. I have no idea why this transpired. It seems that GM's are trying to get out of some of these longer deals. I wonder if they feel the cap is gonna drop a decent amount. How does expansion figure in to revenue if those teams struggle?

I'd take Sharp in here in a heartbeat. Maybe Larsson could get a fresh start in Chicago, although I know they are looking for help at center.

Sharp's skillset and style of play is similar to Selanne and he still could be playing 3rd line minutes his age.

Kane and Toews must be looking to break the bank because they are looking at moving Oduya or Chaaallllmerrsonnnn also.

I can't watch another season with no finishers.

The forward group is solid, it's the D that terrible. I have no idea why this transpired. It seems that GM's are trying to get out of some of these longer deals. I wonder if they feel the cap is gonna drop a decent amount. How does expansion figure in to revenue if those teams struggle?

I'd take Sharp in here in a heartbeat. Maybe Larsson could get a fresh start in Chicago, although I know they are looking for help at center.

Sharp's skillset and style of play is similar to Selanne and he still could be playing 3rd line minutes his age.

Kane and Toews must be looking to break the bank because they are looking at moving Oduya or Chaaallllmerrsonnnn also.

I can't watch another season with no finishers.

Don't make me laugh, a fresh start?  He is not someone that strikes me as someone who needs a fresh start, he's 21 for christ sakes and an RFA.  Steve Mason needed a fresh start.  Jason Spezza maybe needs a new start, but a 21-year old still developing defensemen??  No way. 

Colin White was 23 when he broke into the league.  Paul Martin, 23.  There are other examples as well who are not Devils, I guess Hedman from Tampa.

Edited by RizzMB30

Don't make me laugh, a fresh start? He is not someone that strikes me as someone who needs a fresh start, he's 21 for christ sakes and an RFA. Steve Mason needed a fresh start. Jason Spezza maybe needs a new start, but a 21-year old still developing defensemen?? No way.

Colin White was 23 when he broke into the league. Paul Martin, 23. There are other examples as well who are not Devils, I guess Hedman from Tampa.

Well, if you don't think he has soured on his situation then I don't know what to tell you. Please don't cite press blurbs where everyone just tows the line. He is young and I am sure feels slighted by being buried in the AHL. Let's not forget about the money he isn't making while down there. Yeah, I have a feeling a fresh start would be greeted with open arms, especially if it meant he could be making 70 foot passes to Patrick Kane for 15 assists a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

He's not paid like a top line player. He's paid like a 2nd/3rd line guy and that's what he is, and yeah he'll get worse, but Umberger is a much worse player. Why do Philadelphia players need to be put on notice? They've traded a top player on their team in 2 of the last 3 offseasons. If players haven't learned that you can just get traded out of Philadelphia for no real reason, they're kinda thick.

I guess the bottom line is that I wouldn't want to be stuck with hartnell for 2nd line money over the next 5 years. And what I meant by shock to the system was that hartnell was a glue guy on the team and in the lockeroom. In my eyes he's been the epitome of flyers hockey over the past few years. IMO the move just seems like next all wanted to make his mark on the team early. I'm not saying it was a good trade but I personally just don't think it was terrible.

Well, if you don't think he has soured on his situation then I don't know what to tell you. Please don't cite press blurbs where everyone just tows the line. He is young and I am sure feels slighted by being buried in the AHL. Let's not forget about the money he isn't making while down there. Yeah, I have a feeling a fresh start would be greeted with open arms, especially if it meant he could be making 70 foot passes to Patrick Kane for 15 assists a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I have to be inclined with hystyk28 here. Larsson has to feel a bit slighted especially due to the fact that Gelinas and Merrill came up last season. Albeit Larsson was on IR, but...

Injuries happen, its a part of the game.  He's 21 freaking years old.  Neither of you have conceded or contested that point.  If he was 2 or 3 years older and in the exact same position as he is currently, then yeah, maybe I'd trade him while he still held some value.  Do you think if he doesn't get hurt that he remains in the NHL all season? Something had to give and Larsson was simply the easiest to move AND he got hurt.  He has NO reason to feel slighted if other defenseman below him out-play him.  Everyone likes to ignore the fact that playing the AHL can be a learning experience for a player that is as young as him.  He can have a chance to be one of the better players on the ice night in and night out.  Larsson has NEVER been sent down to the A for poor play, albeit he's been a healthy scratch a few times for Peter Harrold ( :doh1: ).  He was in the AHL twice, once because of the lockout, and this year due to his injury.