NHL expansion: Bettman reportedly pushing to put team in Seattle

thefiestygoat

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-07-31/nhl-expansion-seattle-gary-bettman-phoenix-coyotes-board-of-governors

According to Mitch Levy, a talk show host for Seattle radio station KJR, Bettman is pushing for an expansion team that would begin play in the city in the 2014-15 season. Levy reported via Twitter on Tuesday that Bettman is "encouraging" the NHL's Board of Governors to grant Seattle a franchise.

Levy tweeted that the group that tried to buy the Coyotes and move them to Seattle is among the groups that would be in play for an expansion franchise, which Levy said would cost $275 million.

Levy gave no indication whether a second expansion franchise would be awarded. Quebec City has been open about bringing back NHL hockey and is building a new arena. Las Vegas, Kansas City and the Greater Toronto Area are also seen as potentially viable expansion markets.

Mitch Levy on his twitter believes they'd be able to tweak the MOU to get the arena started to allow hockey in first.

In terms of that last part, Quebec is the most logical and prepared for a NHL team, but I'm sure Bettman wants to avoid that.

I'd remove Kansas City from that list since they have a profitable arena without an anchor tenant and their politicians have made comments along the lines of not wanting or needing an anchor tenant.

Greater Toronto Area would probably be successful but you have the whole territorial rights issue as well as the fact that the Markham Arena doesn't seem likely to happen now and the Copps Coliseum in Hamilton is almost 30 years old too.

I really do believe that Las Vegas could be an option for expansion (helps even the conferences with Seattle) or relocation (could keep Coyotes in the desert). They'll have a new arena opening in the spring of 2016 that can seat 20,000. Jerry Bruckheimer has pursued bringing the NHL to Las Vegas before, maybe he's still interested.

Portland Trail Blazer's owner Paul Allen has toyed with the idea of the NHL coming to Portland, even monitoring the latest Coyotes situation till the end. No idea if the NHL would have interest though. I think it's a long shot but it would be cool to see the Cascadia rivalry develop between Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland in the NHL like how it is in MLS.

Houston is one of the largest media markets in the US but it also seems like a long shot due to no clear owner or arena at this time.

One thing that people seem to be overlooking when it comes to expansion is the potential for teams to get rid of bad contracts through an expansion draft, at no cap hit and with no buy out costs.  If expansion happens as soon as the article suggests, you can bet that Volchenkov is one of the players the Devils don't protect, unless he has a real bounceback year.  Might also give the Devils a chance to get out of the Clowe deal if he turns out to be a disappointment. 

Both Clowe and Volchenkov have team unfriendly deals, but they're not THAT bad.  So long as they can be useful players, they could be among the better players available in an expansion draft.

This all depends though on whether players that have no-movement clauses can be made available in an expansion draft.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

One thing that people seem to be overlooking when it comes to expansion is the potential for teams to get rid of bad contracts through an expansion draft, at no cap hit and with no buy out costs.  If expansion happens as soon as the article suggests, you can bet that Volchenkov is one of the players the Devils don't protect, unless he has a real bounceback year.  Might also give the Devils a chance to get out of the Clowe deal if he turns out to be a disappointment. 

Both Clowe and Volchenkov have team unfriendly deals, but they're not THAT bad.  So long as they can be useful players, they could be among the better players available in an expansion draft.

This all depends though on whether players that have no-movement clauses can be made available in an expansion draft.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

I couldn't see if there was a restriction like this in 2000 (I also think NMC are fairly new)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_KHL_Expansion_Draft

The KHL's recent expansion prohibited NMC's from being included though; and I would think the NHL would follow suit there as its logical.

Expansion I think can be good. I don't think the talent pool is diluted but rather teams have been mismanaged and just places get stigmas against them. I would love to see the league expand if it meant better tangible things, ie increased revenues, getting rid of the new conference imbalance, more players getting opportunities, potentially more owners giving leverage to the smaller market teams (not saying this would happen but I would love it if Seattle and say Kansas City got teams then instantly took sides with the smaller market teams). The skill argument seems too much in line with a smaller league which I personally don't like the thought of, and Ken Campbell for THN has an article where it constructed 2 expansion teams based on UFA rosters, looking at those between those 2 UFA teams and an expansion draft I believe that the skill is there, now its just up to the league's business interests. 

i dont feel like starting a debate about this, but they have to put a fvcking team in Quebec, it would balance the conference a little and theres people CRAVING hockey there and who's been craving for YEARS. I understand the business support side of it but i strongly believe that the "plug and play" fan established fan base from Canada can infuse enough revenue + pierre karl peladeau's plan. 

Ridiculous to keep on putting teams where they have to create a fan base and where hockey is like the 5th sport. If you want to sell lots of bananas, make a stand where rich monkeys are.

• Like 1

i dont feel like starting a debate about this, but they have to put a fvcking team in Quebec, it would balance the conference a little and theres people CRAVING hockey there and who's been craving for YEARS. I understand the business support side of it but i strongly believe that the "plug and play" fan established fan base from Canada can infuse enough revenue + pierre karl peladeau's plan. 

Ridiculous to keep on putting teams where they have to create a fan base and where hockey is like the 5th sport. If you want to sell lots of bananas, make a stand where rich monkeys are.

Unless you want to create a reverse Winnipeg situtuation with a geographically out-of-place team, adding a Quebec expansion team, without adding two more in the West, will throw the conferences even more out of balance. 

Put Columbus back to the West. I don't understand them being moved personally.

Detroit and Columbus are in the eastern time zone, plus they had a crazy travel schedule. Problem is there are just too many teams in the East and not enough in the West especially with the Coyotes failing every year.

Edited by Zubie#8

Houston could play in the Toyota Center where the rockets and the AHL aeros play. The arena is only like 10 years old.

The Rockets control that building, and effectively forced the Aeros out after a long run in Houston.  Their GM was interviewed on NHL Radio, and said that the Rockets didn't want to share with another regular tenant.  Perhaps they would feel differently about an NHL franchise, but signs suggest no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuHILqDIvis

• Like 1

It's hard to accept that Quebec isn't the next NHL site. The fans there are crazy for hockey I know they didn't financially support the previous NHL Quebec team but the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar today so there is parity between the USA and Canada unlike before.  Quebec is building a new arena to be ready for play 2015-16 I can't believe they went ahead and built a new arena without a promise of getting a team in the NHL. Some have thought it could be the Quebec Devils not likely with the recent deal between the Devils and the City of Newark. Coyotes are staying put so I can only think expansion team. It would however screw up the new alignment because it puts another team in the East that already is lopsided.

Ugh No more expansion please. We can barely fill current NHL rosters with NHL talent.

I don't want expansion for the same reasons but I really think it's going to happen soon anyway.

Amen. I truly feel for Quebec fans, and Canadians in general when it comes to this league. I was thrilled Winnipeg got their team back, I hope Quebec gets theirs. Sure it's hard with the current re-alignment but there are ways to shift a team in the East back out West. PKP is certainly loaded enough to get a deal done.

I may be American, but I'm all for more Canadian teams.

The Rockets control that building, and effectively forced the Aeros out after a long run in Houston.  Their GM was interviewed on NHL Radio, and said that the Rockets didn't want to share with another regular tenant.  Perhaps they would feel differently about an NHL franchise, but signs suggest no.

Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't recall exactly what the situation was in Houston, just that finding a place for a NHL team would be difficult at this moment in time.

I read it wasn't only financial for quebec, but because they spoke French over English.

That would be odd because Montreal is in Quebec and speaks French too, granted they are 100 years old and an original franchise but French is still the primary language. I think even Ottawa (from just quick visits to 4 of the Canadian team websites) has easy access to a French language version of their site. That seems really odd if thats a thing, especially because of Canada having dual national languages.

That would be odd because Montreal is in Quebec and speaks French too, granted they are 100 years old and an original franchise but French is still the primary language. I think even Ottawa (from just quick visits to 4 of the Canadian team websites) has easy access to a French language version of their site. That seems really odd if thats a thing, especially because of Canada having dual national languages.

French is the primary language in Montreal, but there is still a sizable English speaking population.  Quebec City is basically all French speakers - according to Wikipedia, only 1.5% of Quebec City residents speak English as their first language, with 90+% having French as their first.  Montreal has 13% English-first speakers, and a lot of people know both English and French.

I'd be worried about an NHL franchise in Quebec for this reason - most of the NHL probably isn't going to want to play in a place like this.

French is the primary language in Montreal, but there is still a sizable English speaking population. Quebec City is basically all French speakers - according to Wikipedia, only 1.5% of Quebec City residents speak English as their first language, with 90+% having French as their first. Montreal has 13% English-first speakers, and a lot of people know both English and French.

I'd be worried about an NHL franchise in Quebec for this reason - most of the NHL probably isn't going to want to play in a place like this.

Lol tough sh!t. These dudes get paid tons of money. Learn some French. Plenty of guys played in Quebec City back in the day for far less money and no one died. Edited by MadDog2020

Not really true, first off QC is a very charming, European style "old world" type city. Also the fans are quite good and the press isn't as nasty and all over your every move as it is in Montreal. Guy Lafleur used to mention that

it's also not middle of nowhereseville, like Edmonton so I don't think players not wanting to play there will be an issue

Edited by '7'