Zach Parise 'ran the show' + 30 Thoughts

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/07/zach-parise-ran-the-show-30-thoughts.html

But, according to one source, after thinking about it, Parise eliminated the Eastern Conference, because, if he was to leave the Devils, he was unwilling to compete directly against them. Then, he dropped the other Western Conference teams and, as he later said on his conference call, it came down to New Jersey or his home state of Minnesota.

*Fletcher spent over a year working on a plan to get both players, but it became clear to several interested parties that, as Parise returned to his Minnesota home on July 3, "He was driving the bus," as one executive said. "It really became his process." Parise was down to two teams, and you have to believe he knew Suter was in the same position -- with both players having one of them (the Wild) in common. Suter was unwilling to go to the Devils. At that point, Parise basically had three choices: going back to New Jersey, going to Minnesota without Suter or convincing the defenceman to join him there. As Russo reported, he and Arnott did a lot of research into Minnesota's highly rated prospect pool, but Parise knew it would be much harder to win there without Suter.

The Parise signing thread is in the Hall of Fame, so I figured a separate thread in Hell would be the only way for interested eyes to see this.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Nice fluff piece to make it seem it was so agonizing for him to leave :blahblah:

I was expecting these to come out and this will not be the last in a long line.

What it boils down to is Parise wanted to go to Minnesota with Suter. He became Suter's bitchboy over the past season and hung his future up on what his boyfriend wanted to do. I do not care how he wants to spin it and I really do not care anymore about Parise or what he did. It's in the past and now I just want to focus on the Devils upcoming season and wondering when the hell the equipment sale is.

Edited by DevsMan84

Obviously he was playing the Devils for a higher offer from Minnesota, we all know he had no interest in coming back, since he said privately on July 2 that Bruce Springsteen sucks, Jon Bon Jovi can go to hell, and why are people from here proud of the Sopranos anyway?

Nah, good piece by Friedman, as always.

Seems to me Parise was sincere in his desire to re-sign. However, you have to assume that the Devils were offering him at least $20 million less and a lot less up front money than the Wild. I think he bent over backwards to try and make it work with the Devils, but that's a lot of money for ANYONE to turn down. He also did what he could to minimize the sting to the Devils by signing with a Western Conference team. If the rumors are to be believed, Philly, which is a much better team than Minnesota, offered him the same amount of money, perhaps a little more. Same case with Pittsburgh, except we don't know how much money they offered.

This whole idea that he was scheming with Suter for the entire year is ridiculous. At best, it was idle talk. Obviously they were coordinating things after July 1, but it was never a fait accompli once free agency started.

This all makes it very hard for me to boo him when he comes back. In all likelihood, I'll avoid watching Wild games so as to not be bummed out that he's not here anymore. I only hope his performance declines and that Minnesota doesn't turn out to be a good team to feel better that it turned out to not be a huge loss to the Devils, rather than any ill will towards Zach.

Uhhh not this again...Elliotte Friedman is not one to write a fluff piece and that's pretty insulting. I don't even get how you'd go there. Since Halfshark is not a Devils fan anymore, is this considered trolling haha?

I guess I chose the wrong words. It's Parise and his camp putting out these fluff pieces and Friedman is just regurgitating them. I don't blame Friedman and I expect the Parise camp to put out these sorts of articles all summer long and well into the season (if we have one).

Seems to me Parise was sincere in his desire to re-sign. However, you have to assume that the Devils were offering him at least $20 million less and a lot less up front money than the Wild. I think he bent over backwards to try and make it work with the Devils, but that's a lot of money for ANYONE to turn down. He also did what he could to minimize the sting to the Devils by signing with a Western Conference team. If the rumors are to be believed, Philly, which is a much better team than Minnesota, offered him the same amount of money, perhaps a little more. Same case with Pittsburgh, except we don't know how much money they offered.

This whole idea that he was scheming with Suter for the entire year is ridiculous. At best, it was idle talk. Obviously they were coordinating things after July 1, but it was never a fait accompli once free agency started.

This all makes it very hard for me to boo him when he comes back. In all likelihood, I'll avoid watching Wild games so as to not be bummed out that he's not here anymore. I only hope his performance declines and that Minnesota doesn't turn out to be a good team to feel better that it turned out to not be a huge loss to the Devils, rather than any ill will towards Zach.

Parise saying that he went to a Western Conference team to lessen the sting is a bunch of BS from his camp. His decision was based on where Suter went. Hell Parise even took less money from Minnesota to ensure that both can be signed and he wanted them to both have identical contracts.

I guess I chose the wrong words. It's Parise and his camp putting out these fluff pieces and Friedman is just regurgitating them. I don't blame Friedman and I expect the Parise camp to put out these sorts of articles all summer long and well into the season (if we have one).

What? This is it. Hockey writers don't work during the summer. If the Wild play the Devils next year, we'll get some articles on it. Otherwise, this is the last word until then.

DevsMan: LOL. did you read the article? No.

Edited by Triumph

Parise's camp has been saying nothing (I believe). These are just reports from sources within teams and not much of it is new. Friedman did enter Buffalo into the mix that I hadn't seen reported anywhere, but there were rumours that 15+ teams were in on Parise.

Daniel - I don't think it was a money issue with Zach and NJ. He never went back to Lou asking him to raise his offer at all. I'm sure Lou's offer wasn't so far behind either. It just looks more and more like Zach worked Suter to go to Minny. Better than other way around, I guess. Some people think it had to do with friendship, but it sure seems like Zach just wanted a more competitive team. That's why I have always said he had to give Suter matching salaries. Because other places badly wanted Suter over Zach and were offering Suter more (Detroit especially), so it was really only fair to go in with the same amount. No one should be making Parise out to be ahero for it, and I don't think anyone is other than the Wild organization just to sell their fans on it, etc.

Edit: Not to say Suter is a total puppet since he wouldn't go anywhere East. It was always Nashville, Minny or Detroit for him, and his wife is from Minny and he's from Wisconsin.

Edited by devilsrule33

What? This is it. Hockey writers don't work during the summer. If the Wild play the Devils next year, we'll get some articles on it. Otherwise, this is the last word until then.

DevsMan: LOL. did you read the article? No.

Yes I did Rainman and if hockey writers don't work during the summer then we wouldn't be reading this garbage.

Parise's camp has been saying nothing (I believe). These are just reports from sources within teams and not much of it is new. Friedman did enter Buffalo into the mix that I hadn't seen reported anywhere, but there were rumours that 15+ teams were in on Parise.

Daniel - I don't think it was a money issue with Zach and NJ. He never went back to Lou asking him to raise his offer at all. I'm sure Lou's offer wasn't so far behind either. It just looks more and more like Zach worked Suter to go to Minny. Better than other way around, I guess. Some people think it had to do with friendship, but it sure seems like Zach just wanted a more competitive team. That's why I have always said he had to give Suter matching salaries. Because other places badly wanted Suter over Zach and were offering Suter more (Detroit especially), so it was really only fair to go in with the same amount. No one should be making Parise out to be ahero for it, and I don't think anyone is other than the Wild organization just to sell their fans on it, etc.

Edit: Not to say Suter is a total puppet since he wouldn't go anywhere East. It was always Nashville, Minny or Detroit for him, and his wife is from Minny and he's from Wisconsin.

Yeah a more competitive team that even your buddy here has been saying will still stink with both of them there.

They wanted to play together and they got it. Good for them and fvck them.

Yes I did Rainman and if hockey writers don't work during the summer then we wouldn't be reading this garbage.

Okay, genius. That's why Friedman said "This is the final 30 Thoughts Blog of the 2011-12 NHL season." Which probably means that he's off until at least September. After free agency's done, there's no major news until September, so hockey writers cover other sports or don't write at all.

You also must've missed the part about $100M offers from Philadelphia and Buffalo. Surely that was a plant by Wade Arnott.

Yeah a more competitive team that even your buddy here has been saying will still stink with both of them there.

They wanted to play together and they got it. Good for them and fvck them.

You misunderstood. I don't think Zach thinks Minny is now better than NJ. I am saying he wanted to go home to Minny, but needed Suter there to make sure that the Wild weren't total sh!t.

Okay, genius. That's why Friedman said "This is the final 30 Thoughts Blog of the 2011-12 NHL season." Which probably means that he's off until at least September. After free agency's done, there's no major news until September, so hockey writers cover other sports or don't write at all.

You also must've missed the part about $100M offers from Philadelphia and Buffalo. Surely that was a plant by Wade Arnott.

Philly and Pittsburgh could have offered a $1 billion and Parise wouldn't have gone to them unless Suter did. That is speculation but I feel that is probable since Parise bent over backwards for Suter and they can live happily ever after for all I care. At the end of the day I still think Parise is Suter's little bitchboy.

As for final thoughts, that could be exactly that to close out his final thoughts on the last season. He could take off for a few weeks and then return back to start covering the upcoming season or CBA talks. Yes the summer is slow but they still find things to talk about.

You misunderstood. I don't think Zach thinks Minny is now better than NJ. I am saying he wanted to go home to Minny, but needed Suter there to make sure that the Wild weren't total sh!t.

Well then they are still crap and fringe at best.

There goes that BS from Parise saying he wanted to go to a team that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup soon.

11/21/11 pepperkorn wrote:

Fact is and I think we all see it - there is no path for him (Zach) ANYWHERE. The Devils aren't feeling right and there is nowhere better to go. Having Zajac back might bring back the space he needs to find his home here. Because you need that kind of thing -- an ally who's going to help get your head back in the game. Where are his other old hockey buddies now? THAT could be the dangerous team that provides a viable destination.

oops … See, stuff like this, that you all ignore from me, is why I need to stay retired.

I will also add again - you can't create a home with a buddy - you need a certain level of discomfort to win. It's all too cozy. This is permission to fail. MN, I think, sees that now and all this sunshine has to be blown to cover the pretty huge price they just paid for two solid pieces who will train their prospects to play solid (not necessarily WIN) all the while hamstring the team, leaving them unable to retain these fabu prospects just when they get useful. Suter and Parise are not Elias, not Langenbrunner. They are not seasoned vets and they do NOT have the hunger to win required - if they did they woudn't have decided to go HOME. The buddy isn't the tell-all safety net -- the geographic location says it all. Thus, they don't bring enough to the table and they are sucking down the resources for years to come.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I don't believe that is true at all. Care to share a link or interview that says that.

He originally made it pretty clear in his interview on NHL live right after the signing. In response to a question of him wanting to go play with Suter, he said, something along the lines of, "We were talking about it during the season but then of course when the Stanley Cup Finals come around, you don't want to do that as much."

It's been reported several times, but it's pretty impressive that Parise did, very late in the process, ask for the deals to be altered so that he and Suter would have the exact same financial structure. He took less -- and made his buddy a little bit more.

QFT. - bc this point was disputed a lot around here.

Edited by ben00rs

He originally made it pretty clear in his interview on NHL live right after the signing. In response to a question of him wanting to go play with Suter, he said, something along the lines of, "We were talking about it during the season but then of course when the Stanley Cup Finals come around, you don't want to do that as much."

That doesn't imply he was talking about it during the Cup Finals. But now it's time to play 'dissect what the athlete said off-the-cuff and read into it'.

That doesn't imply he was talking about it during the Cup Finals. But now it's time to play 'dissect what the athlete said off-the-cuff and read into it'.

I agree. Although, the playoffs is bad enough. I was just pointing out the correct quote of what MB was referring to. To be honest, IMO Parise himself seemed to catch himself in the interview and said the last part to save himself from media and fan backlash. Either way no one is dissecting anything. He said this straight out in an interview and he was clearly discussing it deep into the playoffs. Whether or not you want to think that is a bad thing or not is a whole different story.

Nice fluff piece to make it seem it was so agonizing for him to leave :blahblah:

I was expecting these to come out and this will not be the last in a long line.

What it boils down to is Parise wanted to go to Minnesota with Suter. He became Suter's bitchboy over the past season and hung his future up on what his boyfriend wanted to do. I do not care how he wants to spin it and I really do not care anymore about Parise or what he did. It's in the past and now I just want to focus on the Devils upcoming season and wondering when the hell the equipment sale is.

he's dead to me...dead I tell ya!

The article linked to in the story also:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/161683055.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

In Ontario, inside a conference room that Parise dubbed the "war room," the agents meticulously went through every team and offer with Parise. They assessed, deliberated, researched and called back teams for more information.

For each team, there was a list of 12-15 criteria that Parise prioritized -- everything from hockey operations, ownership stability, travel, taxation and lifestyle to the on-ice product and the organization's prospects.

Monday afternoon, Arnott educated Parise about the Wild's blue-chip prospects, from Mikael Granlund and Charlie Coyle to Jonas Brodin and Matt Dumba.

"When you're looking at committing the next 13 years of your life, you have to think bigger picture than just the current NHL talent," Arnott said. "How will things look five, six, seven, eight years from now?"

Late Monday afternoon, 36 hours in, Parise said to Arnott: "You know what? I think now's the juncture I'd like to really check in with [suter] and see what he's thinking."

To make the Minnesota contracts identical, Parise actually took less than the Wild had offered him.

Also, not trolling, just thought these articles were interesting.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Yeah, you care so little that you posted in this thread six more times after this.