The Official "2012 Playoffs Excitement" Thread

Colin226

I don't think they have any more or less heart than any of the teams remaining this year. The Rags are probably the best in the league at blocking shots, offensively they're nothing special...won't see much pretty tick-tack-toe goals out of them. I don't think they're a tough team, but they're not a bunch of mites getting pushed around either. They're just getting by right now playing teams that are definitely a cut below them. I think their luck will run out should they run into us or Philly in the next round.

While i agree with some of this, the rangers owned the flyers this year and i wouldnt trust the devils against them or more importantly lundqvist. if the rangers hadnt already fallen apart heading into 2006, the devils would still be playoff series winless vs them. that series was a joke it wasnt even competitive. something happens to the devils vs the rangers come spring and its the one black mark on the success of the franchise.

theyve been on a charmed run for a long long time. the only way it runs out is if they run out of gas. im simply amazed they havent hit the wall. washington isnt going away and they know they can play with them so hopefully they continue to do damage to each toher physically.

i just think its their year and its going to hurt to watch.

On the off chance they did win and don't end up a battered and broken heap along the line, what the hell do I care, they then have won 3 Cups in 62 years.

It's not like the people that show up to those games can get any douchier

I mean alright... Lundvist is good but hes getting damn lots of credits while theres always like AT LEAST 3 of his guys around his crease blocking shots and getting rid of rebounds... Sometimes its even 4 guys

I cant remember any other team this year that i watched who were more stuck in their zone defending like if they were on thr PK but were actualy 5 on 5... And that without being scored on.. Terrible

On the off chance they did win and don't end up a battered and broken heap along the line, what the hell do I care, they then have won 3 Cups in 62 years.

It's not like the people that show up to those games can get any douchier

usually i dont take alot of stock in your rivals winning and it effecting you. Im a jets fan and the giants success hurts but it doesnt kill the jets. they both have huge loyal followings and enough split presence in the media where one isnt suffering by the others success. its just bragging rights. same with the yankees/mets. the yankees will always be more successful as a franchise due to them being the yankees but if either wins a world series it doesnt kill the other one. look a tthe 80's and 90's/2000's.

the rangers winning will be terrible for the devils especially the devils facing a summer of uncertainty. the devils are not a ny based team and they do not have a large enough following and media presence like a ny team. you think the rock is bad now? you think the media and msg network treats the devils like stepchildren now? you thinkt he ny bandwagon following isnt coming? try all this next season with the rangers as champions. its going to be terrible as devils fans. there wont be post-1994 success upcoming as a follow up act, either.

imagine being a rangers fan from 1998-2004 and seeing the devils win 2 cups and play for a 3rd. only the rangers could survive that. ive always said that if the devils had the same 1998-2004 run the rangers had the devils would be playing in another city. its absolutely the truth that what the rangers do effects the devils more then vice versa.

as devils fans the devils owe us nothing. they were a near dynasty in an era before the lockout. It will be nearly impossible to have a dynasty or similar devils run in this era. the problem is it only takes one rangers cup and the devils success becomes even more ancient history then it already is.

usually i dont take alot of stock in your rivals winning and it effecting you. Im a jets fan and the giants success hurts but it doesnt kill the jets. they both have huge loyal followings and enough split presence in the media where one isnt suffering by the others success. its just bragging rights. same with the yankees/mets. the yankees will always be more successful as a franchise due to them being the yankees but if either wins a world series it doesnt kill the other one. look a tthe 80's and 90's/2000's.

the rangers winning will be terrible for the devils especially the devils facing a summer of uncertainty. the devils are not a ny based team and they do not have a large enough following and media presence like a ny team. you think the rock is bad now? you think the media and msg network treats the devils like stepchildren now? you thinkt he ny bandwagon following isnt coming? try all this next season with the rangers as champions. its going to be terrible as devils fans. there wont be post-1994 success upcoming as a follow up act, either.

imagine being a rangers fan from 1998-2004 and seeing the devils win 2 cups and play for a 3rd. only the rangers could survive that. ive always said that if the devils had the same 1998-2004 run the rangers had the devils would be playing in another city. its absolutely the truth that what the rangers do effects the devils more then vice versa.

as devils fans the devils owe us nothing. they were a near dynasty in an era before the lockout. It will be nearly impossible to have a dynasty or similar devils run in this era. the problem is it only takes one rangers cup and the devils success becomes even more ancient history then it already is.

Who cares, I'm in my mid 30's and I'm tired of the Devils/Rangers stuff and honestly I'd rather them release a bug bomb at the Devils/Rangers games nowadays than have to deal with the people that showed up.

If it adversely effects the Devils business, Devils fans are retards, what do you want me to tell you?

I'll let you in on another secret, no one gives two sh!ts about hockey in the NY media market. Even if the Rangers won the Cup, they'd be an afterthought the 2nd week in October... that is if the league was even open for business.

This post is overly pessimistic and clearly influenced after seeing a late Rags win ;)

The Devils could win 5 Cups in a row and they will still play second fiddle to the Rangers in this market. Just as the Islanders played second fiddle even when they were dominating the game in the early 80s. The Rangers winning will not adversely affect this team other than having to take stick from their fans, and if they win the Cup, they earned that right. You're coming across as if its doomsday if the Rags win. Devils fans are for the most part loyal and there will never be as many of us are there are Rangers fans, ever. There's a reason why you can go to almost any game in any arena, regardless of the Rags' record, and you're very likely to see a Ranger jersey amongst the crowd even if its Edmonton at Vancouver. They have a much longer history than we do in one of the most sports crazed cities in the world. And lets not forget, the Rangers have not won the Cup and its probably a safer bet to bet against them than bet on right now.

I think there's a flipside to it as well. I don't want to see it happen, but I could also see a Rangers win helping the Devils by increasing more interest in the sport locally, especially if we go to the Conference Finals against them.

And lets face it, we're now 9 years removed from our last Cup. In the sports world, our success is already ancient history and the lockout killed a lot of the luster.

I'm not worried about the Rags unless we're playing the Rags.

I'll let you in on another secret' date=' no one gives two sh!ts about hockey in the NY media market. Even if the Rangers won the Cup, they'd be an afterthought the 2nd week in October... that is if the league was even open for business.[/quote']

I agree with this, but the NY media market is a helluva lot better for hockey than just about any other American city that have a hockey team, but thats more to do with breadth of reach than scope of coverage.

Edited by ghdi

I think the Devils' uncertainty could hurt, but not nearly as much as it would have if they'd flamed out in the first round again. At least with winning in the first round and having a hopefully competitive second round there's a little juice with the team now. The Devils aren't moving anytime soon regardless, not with the two plus decade long arena deal and TV contract.

Yeah it would suck if the Rangers got the upper hand on us, but it wouldn't be Giants-Jets type bad, partly because hockey really isn't a big deal in the area at this point (look at how much coverage the Rangers get compared to a sorry-ass Knicks team) and partly because the Giants 'do' have a better history than the Jets anyway so there's infinitely more pressure on the Jets to win.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If they can make it to game 7 with games like this... Its gonna be good for US !!!

Why? Your team needs to get by Philly. You expect to do that in a short series?

I don't think they have any more or less heart than any of the teams remaining this year. The Rags are probably the best in the league at blocking shots, offensively they're nothing special...won't see much pretty tick-tack-toe goals out of them. I don't think they're a tough team, but they're not a bunch of mites getting pushed around either. They're just getting by right now playing teams that are definitely a cut below them. I think their luck will run out should they run into us or Philly in the next round.

That might be true, but fortunately for the Rangers EVERY remaining team is a cut below them.

I don't see any indication that it's the Rags year. In fact, I think it's more the Flyers year and we may yet snuff them out! How about it being the Blues and Kings year? Certainly possible

I remember Wings fans talking about how 1995 was definitely their year

Edited by '7'

I mean alright... Lundvist is good but hes getting damn lots of credits while theres always like AT LEAST 3 of his guys around his crease blocking shots and getting rid of rebounds... Sometimes its even 4 guys.

Ah, you said something intelligent. Lundqvist is great. However, the skaters do a great job of clearing rebounds and tying up opponents so they can't get to rebounds. What's kind of funny is for a Devils fan to say this, yet when a non-devils fan wants to put a lot of Brodeur's success and numbers on the quality of their team D back in the day, many of them get their panties twisted.

I don't see any indication that it's the Rags year. In fact, I think it's more the Flyers year and we may yet snuff them out! How about it being the Blues and Kings year? Certainly possible

I remember Wings fans talking about how 1995 was definitely their year

Didn't say it is not. My point is the Rangers are better than every team that is left. Of course, that doesnt mean they will win. Flyers are not beating the Rangers if they play next round. Only team in the East that I thought was a bad match-up for the Rangers was the Penguins because for whatever reason Malkin, Crosby, and Staal just know how to score on Lundqvist. Not the case for the Flyers big guns.

Why? Your team needs to get by Philly. You expect to do that in a short series?

That might be true, but fortunately for the Rangers EVERY remaining team is a cut below them.

I don't think the Blues or Kings are...I don't think the Flyers are either

Didn't say it is not. My point is the Rangers are better than every team that is left. Of course, that doesnt mean they will win. Flyers are not beating the Rangers if they play next round. Only team in the East that I thought was a bad match-up for the Rangers was the Penguins because for whatever reason Malkin, Crosby, and Staal just know how to score on Lundqvist. Not the case for the Flyers big guns.

They're not. You think struggling with the Capitals and Senators proves they can take on any of the best teams left? If the Kings and Rangers both make it to the Cup Final, the Kings are actually 'a cut above' - they don't spend 2/3rds of the game in their own end trying to block shots.

The longer that game went on last night, the more I had a feeling the Caps weren't going to win. Excepting for when Ovi hit the post, they were all gripping their sticks too tight. It was painful to watch. Kudos to the Rangers. They block shots like nobody's business.

The rangers have done nothing to impress me this postseason, I don't know where Matteau's confidence comes from.

I will say this, they keep games close with their style. And when games are close anybody can win. But that includes inferior teams like Ottawa and Washington. I would not be surprised to see the Rangers win the cup, but at this point nothing really surprises me. I thought the Blues were the best team in round 1, and now they look like the worst. Who knows what happens when two teams matchup?

They're not. You think struggling with the Capitals and Senators proves they can take on any of the best teams left? If the Kings and Rangers both make it to the Cup Final, the Kings are actually 'a cut above' - they don't spend 2/3rds of the game in their own end trying to block shots.

the sign of a good team is finding a way to win in the playoffs it doesnt matter of you win ugly or pretty. over 16 wins it's going to take ugly games and series. sure the senators gave them all they could handle and were a few calls away from eliminating them. the capitals are giving them all they can handle now but they wont win the series. the capitals wont win the next 3 out of 4 against a team that hasnt shown its capable of such a collapse. the rangers are surviving. theyve done so all year blocking shots, hard forechecking, relying on big pads and the d to jump in the play. theyve also avoided major injuries to key players for long stretches. dubinsky being hurt is actually helping them and losing boyle for a few and hagelin to suspension was an opening for Krieder.

only a skilled offensive team can exploit the rangers. the capitals arent that anymore and they arent reverting back, the penguins are gone and the flyers dont have the goaltending.

the kings? its how you view them. you can view them as an 8th place team and a reason for being so or you can view them as a dangerous 8th place team with alot of skill and size that can grit and grind too. you look at that team on paper and they should go deep.

look the rangers have had it go their way all year. why would anyone think its ending anytime soon?

Edited by hockey3893498