Devils' Pete DeBoer has inspired team with his calm, confident dem

NJDevs4978

Ugh....don't even mention 08-09. After the lockout, that was probably the team I had the highest hopes for and to lose the way they did was beyond traumatic...

Def agree on that. I honestly thought the team was going to be at least in the Conference Finals that year. For some reason, that playoff loss pissed me off more than the 2000-01 finals where we lost to Colorado in Game 7.

At the very least, at least DeBoer definitely understands something Brent Sutter most certainly did not:

“I think the way our team built, I don’t see us getting married to a checking line where the other team dictates how much (Zach) Parise and (Ilya) Kovalchuk are going to play,” DeBoer said. “We want to be in a spot where I feel we can rely on four lines and put them on the ice and if we get caught in a bad matchup then we’re still comfortable. I think that’s the perfect scenario and I think we’re getting close to that.”

Patrik Elias ice time Game 7: 14:37

Dainius Zubrus ice time Game 7: 9:38

Def agree on that. I honestly thought the team was going to be at least in the Conference Finals that year. For some reason, that playoff loss pissed me off more than the 2000-01 finals where we lost to Colorado in Game 7.

I'm still only 22, so 00-01, is a bit hard to remember, but that game 7 vs Carolina is up there in my top 5 most heartbreaking losses. I remember another game, it had to be somewhere around 2000-2003 in a series vs Toronto where a questionable goal was disallowed for NJ while an extremely similar play was deemed legal for Toronto. I just remember the play, I think it might have Colin White pushing a Toronto player into Broduer, causing Marty to not be able to make the save and a goal being scored. This however was called a legal goal, while a similar play in the other end had the call go against us once more. I remember that one stinging quite a bit. The game ended with the multitudes raining trash onto the ice. Just a moment of my childhood I'll never forget lol.

I believe that was like a game 5 or something though, because it put us down 3-2 making game 6 in Toronto do or die for us. I just can't recall what year it was exactly.

Edited by ATLL765

Very true.

Honestly this team is also exciting to watch again with the new aggressive style they play. I haven't felt this way since 08-09 season when we had our offense firing on all cylinders that year.

didn't we have holding the lead problems that year too or was it the 2nd period meltdown?

In any case, I feel like this is the best team since '03 minus the sorta shaky D corps. but that's fixable. If we get the right match up in round 1, I think it'll spring us deep.

At the very least, at least DeBoer definitely understands something Brent Sutter most certainly did not:

“I think the way our team built, I don’t see us getting married to a checking line where the other team dictates how much (Zach) Parise and (Ilya) Kovalchuk are going to play,” DeBoer said. “We want to be in a spot where I feel we can rely on four lines and put them on the ice and if we get caught in a bad matchup then we’re still comfortable. I think that’s the perfect scenario and I think we’re getting close to that.”

lol, I remembered Elias's low icetime (three minutes less than Pandolfo) as well as the fact it took four shifts before PZL saw the ice - two of them by the Madden-Pando-Shanny line - but forgot Zubrus was getting fourth-line icetime basically. Then again Sutter didn't like Zubrus anyway. I don't remember him line-matching as much until the playoffs got closer though, then after the six-game losing streak Sutter regressed.

didn't we have holding the lead problems that year too or was it the 2nd period meltdown?

No we definitely had holding the lead problems though not to the extent of this year, we blew one late game to Carolina that was a harbinger to the playoffs and Stan Fischler brought up the regular season blown game in the Game 7 postgame and Sutter basically told him to go scratch.

Ugh. If you look at ice time for all forwards in that game, it's totally out of whack.

Madden - 20:14

Langenbrunner - 18:14

Parise - 18:11

Shanahan - 17:34

Pandolfo - 17:30

Zajac - 16:36

Gionta - 16:02

Elias - 14:27

Clarkson - 10:10

Rolston - 10:08

Zubrus - 9:38

Rupp - 7:47

There's no way in hell Elias should ever be 14th out of 18 skaters in a Game 7. :puke:

Friggin Sutter.

I was thinking how refreshing that was when I read that quote. Sutter was nuts down the stretch and him relying on the checking line was really what did this team end down the stretch many felt. I also felt Lemaire did the same thing in 2010 throughout the season.

Here is a post I wrote back in 2010 (here) where Panolfo and Niedermayer were going head-to-head against other teams top lines to the point that Rob Niedermayer was playing the most minutes each line. Here are some examples:

Against Atlanta (in Atlanta):

Niedermayer - 20:12

Pandolfo - 19:17

Parise - 18:44

Elias - 16:35

Against Philly:

Niedermayer - 22:57

Parise - 18:16

Pandolfo - 15:53

Elias - 15:46

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm still only 22, so 00-01, is a bit hard to remember, but that game 7 vs Carolina is up there in my top 5 most heartbreaking losses. I remember another game, it had to be somewhere around 2000-2003 in a series vs Toronto where a questionable goal was disallowed for NJ while an extremely similar play was deemed legal for Toronto. I just remember the play, I think it might have Colin White pushing a Toronto player into Broduer, causing Marty to not be able to make the save and a goal being scored. This however was called a legal goal, while a similar play in the other end had the call go against us once more. I remember that one stinging quite a bit. The game ended with the multitudes raining trash onto the ice. Just a moment of my childhood I'll never forget lol.

I believe that was like a game 5 or something though, because it put us down 3-2 making game 6 in Toronto do or die for us. I just can't recall what year it was exactly.

I believe that was in 2000-01 playoffs that year in the 2nd round judging by the game you described with the leafs.

I just remember from the finals in 2001 being at game 6 at CAA in Section 101 ready to celebrate a cup win after tailgating with my dad and some other friends of ours for a good 4 or 5 hours before hand. I believe Gomez apparently scored early but it was waved off since I think it was either kicked in or a high stick. We then got shut out 4-0 and remember walking in the parking lot having a bad feeling about game 7 (I also remember the guys selling knock off 2001 Stanley Cup Champs Devils shirts in the parking lot after lol). I guess by the time we lost game 7 I was not really surprised as opposed to 2009 where we literally had the win with 90 seconds left and then lost it.

The one thing that did piss me off in 2001 was Gary Thorne. To this day I still cannot get out of my head how much his face was buried in Colorado's a$$holes during that series. He might as well painted us as the evil Empire controlled by Darth Lou and Colorado as the noble Jedi fighting the forces of evil. His annoucing for Colorado was so over the top it completely sickend me and the amount of glee he had with them winning made me have a burning fvcking hatred of him that I still have to this day.

Edited by DevsMan84

At least in 2010 Lemaire knocked that crap off and banished Pandolfo to the practice rink. He would still start periods with that horrendous Niedermayer line.

The thing that has me hopeful about this year is that the Devils don't have any super obvious weaknesses (besides goaltending) when healthy. This hasn't been true since 2003.

Edited by Triumph