Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

I think the issue has already been resolved.  Cory is the #1, the team accepts it, and even if Marty isn't necessarily thrilled about the idea, he is not complaining about it or making it a daily distraction in the papers. 

I don't think LD considers the issue "resolved" until Marty has been thoroughly embarrassed and sent somewhere to lose the remainder of his games. This is pretty much Christmas Eve for him. 

I just hope he goes somewhere where he doesn't have to play the Devils this year, particularly at the Rock.

I hope he does play us if he goes to another team. We'd get two points for sure.

..two possible outcomes to that one..

#1) Marty playing possessed turns the clock back and has an outstanding night. 33 shot shutout, named first star of the game, and the Brodeur supporters drown out the others with frenzy cheering. #2) Marty gets lit-up! The Devils team know his tendencies too well, and they put 4 past him after only the 1st period. Marty gets the hook to start the 2nd, and the angry Devil fans drown out the Brodeur supporters with chants of: "Cory's Better!"

Edited by Beezer34

#1) Marty playing possessed turns the clock back and has an outstanding night. 33 shot shutout, named first star of the game, and the Brodeur supporters drown out the others with frenzy cheering. #2) Marty gets lit-up! The Devils team know his tendencies too well, and they put 4 past him after only the 1st period. Marty gets the hook to start the 2nd, and the angry Devil fans drown out the Brodeur supporters with chants of: "Cory's Better!"

The majority of Devils fans would NEVER troll Marty.  The few that would are embarrassments to the Devil fanbase.  If he had a rough night, I think most fans would give him a "We still remember all of the good you've done" sympathetic round of applause. 

yeah if Marty wants out that's fine with me, he's earned that and I won't look at his devils career any differently, but yeah I really hope he never actually plays against us.

The majority of Devils fans would NEVER troll Marty.  The few that would are embarrassments to the Devil fanbase.  If he had a rough night, I think most fans would give him a "We still remember all of the good you've done" sympathetic round of applause. 

Based on their maturity and many of the posts here, most of our fan base was in diapers when Marty was doing everything he'll be remembered for.

Yeah, if the Devils don't make the playoffs, but Marty's new team does, I would likely root for his team. 

As far as why another team would want him...I do believe sometimes GMs make "presence" moves.  From a strictly "on paper" standpoint, I agree, I really don't know why anyone should expect Marty to be anything but what he's been for a while now:  inconsistent...maybe a slight bet to pitch a shutout or have a big game, but a better bet to be anywhere from mediocre to bad.  The funny thing is I'm not really sure his presence would be the best thing.  For one, Marty would clearly expect to play more...if he was OK with not playing much, I'd think he's just stay here...I'm guessing he'd be expecting at least half of the starts on a new team.  For another, I'm not sure if a goalie having a "meh" season who may be prone to self-doubt or confidence issues would benefit by having someone "behind" him who doesn't think of himself as a backup, but as a legitimate candidate to take the job away.

You shouldn't make a presence move for a soon to be 42-year-old goalie. This isn't bringing in a Mike Modano to be a 12th forward. This is the most important position in the NHL. Bringing in a goalie of Brodeur's pedigree just complicates things. It doesn't send a good message to whoever your starter is (if the starter is playing well or poorly). 

If you trade for Brodeur, you better be comfortable with him getting in games. You need a damn good team, so Chicago is really the only team that makes much sense to me as an emergency option. But is that something Brodeur wants?

Edited by devilsrule33

I can't underestimate the ability of GMs to overestimate the distant past for the recent past, but like dr33 said - you're not bringing him in to be a backup, he is already a backup here.  I think Lou goes around and tries to see where the interest is and if he comes back with nothing, Brodeur might think about retiring at the end of the year.

I think people are confusing; respect & understanding. I respect Marty for what he's accomplished over his Hall of Fame career. But do I understand the motive in all of this? --absolutely not! Likewise.. I respect fans opinion(s) be it one way or the other. If a scenario occurred where Brodeur returned to the Rock to play the devils on another team, and fans applauded him with cheers.. that's their right to do so, and I totally understand that. However, having said that, this is a sport. And when you're dealing with sports, you have passion & emotion. To the fans that are extremely hurt over all of this, to the point where they may serenade Marty with boo's, I understand that stance as well.

This isn't exactly the analogy\comparison as Montana\Favre like some on this board are trying to make it out to be. Montana & Favre didn't leave their teams to go be backup QB's somewhere else.. they went to be starters. If Brodeur pulled this sh!t 4 years ago, I'd have MORE of an understanding than today, because at least I could rest on the rationale of; Marty can still start @ 37 years old. But that's not happening here. Wherever Marty goes, it's highly unlikely he'll be anything else but a backup. Thus, the question must be asked; "why go to another team and be a backup, when you can do that here and support Cory?" the way so many others have supported you? Furthermore, why not at least wait 'till after the season to go elsewhere, instead of creating a distraction? It isn't like the Devils are whale-sh!t with no hope in making the post-season. We're 3 points out. So I can't even see the excuse of; "well, Marty wants to leave to make the playoffs and try to win a Cup." --when the Devils as a team are still fighting and mathematically alive to make it.

You shouldn't make a presence move for a soon to be 42-year-old goalie. This isn't bringing in a Mike Modano to be a 12th forward. This is the most important position in the NHL. Bringing in a goalie of Brodeur's pedigree just complicates things. It doesn't send a good message to whoever your starter is (if the starter is playing well or poorly). 

If you trade for Brodeur, you better be comfortable with him getting in games. You need a damn good team, so Chicago is really the only team that makes much sense to me as an emergency option. But is that something Brodeur wants?

We're in agreement.  That's basically what my post said...any GM who think Brodeur's "former champion" pedigree will translate into something positive is probably opening a can of worms. 

We're in agreement.  That's basically what my post said...any GM who think Brodeur's "former champion" pedigree will translate into something positive is probably opening a can of worms. 

More importantly, any GM that really feels that way, probably doesn't have a good team to begin with.

I understood the interest from other teams after the end of the 2011-2012 season.  And I could understand it if his win-loss record last year and this year were good despite the the subpar save percentage.  But even the wins aren't really coming anymore.  And when they do, you need to score at least 3 goals for him. 

I think at this point, the only thing that's going to keep him holding on after this season is some desire to compile more wins and shutouts.  Even with a bad team next year, he should be able to eek out enough wins to get to 700 and tack on another shut out or two.  But ultimately, he'll probably realize that his wins and shutout record won't be eclipsed by any goalie that's currently playing, and he'll hang it up after this year.

More importantly, any GM that really feels that way, probably doesn't have a good team to begin with.

I understood the interest from other teams after the end of the 2011-2012 season.  And I could understand it if his win-loss record last year and this year were good despite the the subpar save percentage.  But even the wins aren't really coming anymore.  And when they do, you need to score at least 3 goals for him. 

I think at this point, the only thing that's going to keep him holding on after this season is some desire to compile more wins and shutouts.  Even with a bad team next year, he should be able to eek out enough wins to get to 700 and tack on another shut out or two.  But ultimately, he'll probably realize that his wins and shutout record won't be eclipsed by any goalie that's currently playing, and he'll hang it up after this year.

I'd consider him an underdog to make it to 700 because he's not going to get many more this year - let's say he wins 3 more games this year.  That gives him 685.  He has to win 15 games next year - he's always an injury risk and any team bad enough to give him consistent starts isn't going to be good enough to get him the 3 goals a game he will need to win games, and he'll need to avoid being an embarrassment (he could easily start out something like 2-8-2 with an .890 SV%).  I'd consider him an underdog to get to 700 next year unless he wins 6 or 7 this year.

I can't underestimate the ability of GMs to overestimate the distant past for the recent past, but like dr33 said - you're not bringing him in to be a backup, he is already a backup here.  I think Lou goes around and tries to see where the interest is and if he comes back with nothing, Brodeur might think about retiring at the end of the year.

I just remember the Nonis was badly trying to inquire Kiprusoff last season when he had two goalies in Reimer and Scrivens that were much much much much better. That was hilarious. Kipper's numbers were much worse than Brodeur's.

Maybe there is a team or a GM crazy enough.

I think people are confusing; respect & understanding. I respect Marty for what he's accomplished over his Hall of Fame career. But do I understand the motive in all of this? --absolutely not! Likewise.. I respect fans opinion(s) be it one way or the other. If a scenario occurred where Brodeur returned to the Rock to play the devils on another team, and fans applauded him with cheers.. that's their right to do so, and I totally understand that. However, having said that, this is a sport. And when you're dealing with sports, you have passion & emotion. To the fans that are extremely hurt over all of this, to the point where they may serenade Marty with boo's, I understand that stance as well.

This isn't exactly the analogy\comparison as Montana\Favre like some on this board are trying to make it out to be. Montana & Favre didn't leave their teams to go be backup QB's somewhere else.. they went to be starters. If Brodeur pulled this sh!t 4 years ago, I'd have MORE of an understanding than today, because at least I could rest on the rationale of; Marty can still start @ 37 years old. But that's not happening here. Wherever Marty goes, it's highly unlikely he'll be anything else but a backup. Thus, the question must be asked; "why go to another team and be a backup, when you can do that here and support Cory?" the way so many others have supported you? Furthermore, why not at least wait 'till after the season to go elsewhere, instead of creating a distraction? It isn't like the Devils are whale-sh!t with no hope in making the post-season. We're 3 points out. So I can't even see the excuse of; "well, Marty wants to leave to make the playoffs and try to win a Cup." --when the Devils as a team are still fighting and mathematically alive to make it.

Keep in mind this is all still speculation on our parts.  Marty hasn't actually come out and said "Trade me somewhere" yet. 

Marty has given the Devils more for one team than anyone else EVER in the NHL.  It's not even close.  He's clearly lost the starting job and won't ever get it back unless something catastrophic happens (basically Cory suffering a serious injury)...the way Schneider is playing, even a downturn in his play will probably still be better than what Marty can do at his best.  I don't understand how the fans have any right to be extremely hurt if he decides that he may have a better chance to start somewhere else, when the end is coming very quickly.  You could be right, in that maybe he doesn't get to start all that much for someone else, but at least somewhere else maybe he has more of a shot to.  Here he has NO shot, barring absolute disaster.   

Another possible scenario (and this one blows) is that the Devils suck right after the break and basically kill any chance they had of making the playoffs, Marty decides to stay, and the Devils start Marty in roughly 50% of the remaining games as one last bone-throw.  If that were to happen, I'd try to approach those games as seeing the last act of a great career and try to enjoy them, but I'd hate the events that led up to it (and probably the results of those starts as well). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I just remember the Nonis was badly trying to inquire Kiprusoff last season when he had two goalies in Reimer and Scrivens that were much much much much better. That was hilarious. Kipper's numbers were much worse than Brodeur's.

Maybe there is a team or a GM crazy enough.

Unfortunately the Leafs are probably the only team dumb enough to do that and they have Reimer and Bernier now so they're not doing anything. Maybe Edmonton? But they have Bryz and Scrivens so probably not

I don't think LD considers the issue "resolved" until Marty has been thoroughly embarrassed and sent somewhere to lose the remainder of his games. This is pretty much Christmas Eve for him.

Here is what I think. Marty should understand that he isn't what he used to be and that is not just this year. Marty accepted that Cory would be number #1 starter. But Marty couldn't live with not playing. So he complained. Now he is talking about wanting to play more right now and next season. No Marty that is not and shouldn't happen with the Devils and you know it, Marty. So accept what it is or hope some team will take you and make you their starter. I can't imagine some team wanting him as their starter but that is not my decision. Marty is unhappy. I think that is a shame IMO he should have kept his mouth shut and finished the season and retired, period.

I'd consider him an underdog to make it, because he's not going to get many more this year - let's say he wins 3 more games this year.  That gives him 685.  He has to win 15 games next year - he's always an injury risk and any team bad enough to give him consistent starts isn't going to be good enough to get him the 3 goals a game he will need to win games, and he'll need to avoid being an embarrassment.

That's exactly my point. Why end it that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only goalie in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team. Isn't THAT more important than chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Edited by Beezer34

That's exactly my point. Why end it like that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for just 1 team. Isn't THAT more important that chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Where did Marty ever say anything about chasing 700 wins?  I think at this point, he just thinks he might be able to start for someone else.  I don't think he's necessarly obsessed with getting to 700 victories. 

That's exactly my point. Why end it that way?? Why like this?

Why be remembered as the guy with well over 600 wins, who played nearly 1,300 games?? Dryden is the only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team. Isn't THAT more important than chasing a round number of victories? Did Wayne come back in 2k because he was only 6 away from 900?? --just silly. The whole thing's silly.

Dryden the "only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team"...

How about #66...MARIO LEMIEUX?!?!?  I would have to believe there are some others, but that one comes to mind immediately

Dryden the "only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team"...

How about #66...MARIO LEMIEUX?!?!?  I would have to believe there are some others, but that one comes to mind immediately

I think he meant goalies. 

Speaking of the HOF...I know the waiting period was waived for both Gretzky and Lemieux.  Seems like a longshot, but given that Marty owns so many records, I wonder if the same thing could happen for Marty (probably not). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976