It's a Man's Game (Devils Rangers 4/21/13)

Beetlebum

I love how the Marty fanboys on here constantly go to the not scoring goals nonsense. Can I get a goalie who has above a .900 save percentage. Is that too much to ask.

Of course, you could have checked the score and realized that they scored "FOUR" goals against us.

I don't think we're being "fanboys". We are pointing out that even if Brodeur let's in 1 - 2 goals a game during the last few weeks, they still lose most of those games. No one is saying he's played well, but the offense has been nonexistent for months. He's definitely at the end of the road, but dropping it all on him is over simplistic.

I love how the Marty fanboys on here constantly go to the not scoring goals nonsense. Can I get a goalie who has above a .900 save percentage. Is that too much to ask.

Of course, you could have checked the score and realized that they scored "FOUR" goals against us.

Whoopdie doo, they got four goals. They lose if Marty allows two anyway. They're still middle of the pack in total goals allowed with Hedberg stinking beyond belief for a third of the season.

Not excusing Marty, just at a loss why people can't wait to jump on him, especially when I'm sorry he ain't the biggest problem.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And again we resume bashing Marty on NJDevs after 'another' game where we have 1 or fewer goals.  If this team could ever score then maybe I'll worry about the goaltending.

As Marty gets older.....Lou should be getting our defense stronger (and some offensive help wouldnt hurt either)

there's too much Marty and Debo bashing here, and not enough Lou bashing

I don't think we're being "fanboys". We are pointing out that even if Brodeur let's in 1 - 2 goals a game during the last few weeks, they still lose most of those games. No one is saying he's played well, but the offense has been nonexistent for months. He's definitely at the end of the road, but dropping it all on him is over simplistic.

I never dropped it all on him. He needs to be viewed as part of the problem, which unfortunately he is.  That's all I want to point out.

Marty's ego won't let him "not" be the starter.  We're in trouble next year, that's what I see here.

Go cheer for someone else with the rest of the fair weather whiners then. If you can't handle the bad years you don't deserve the good ones.

the explanation why this BigZ or ScoreMoreThan3 guy is not on everyone's ignore list yet is beyond me.

It hadn't even occurred to me that they may be the same person. Totally blew my mind.

I don't like Marty's comments. I know the team's not scoring goals, but it's not like he's played well (at all) except for that game against the Flyers. It's probably good for him and the Devils that his time here is almost done.

Edited by Devilsfan118

It is a mans game, unfortunately Blowdeur isn't a man. It's inexcusable to let in those chickensh!t softies to break a teams back early on. The offense is thin as it is. It needs to know it has a reliable goaltender behind them. Not some choking not paying attention turd who is looking the other way as Callahan stuffs it in. Can he get his fat head in the game?

Please retire already.

Lets enjoy the rest of the games and look forward to the draft where we will most likely be getting a stud forward. As frustrating as this season was we will all miss our devils and the real fans will always be fans no matter what. I'm proud to say the devils are my team. We will be better next year, book it

I love this team.  You take the good (last year) with the bad (this year).   Only 1 team every year ever ends with a smile on their face, so disappointment is normal.   The hardest part for me is a nice playoff run is makes you look forward to every game like it's Christmas Eve.   I'll miss that this year and leave it to Lou and company to get us back in the dance next year.   Damn was last year a blast.

Oh well, now I get to root against the Rangers, which is almost as gratifying.....almost.

Devils 2014!

What the hell are you talking about?This I agree with. What frightens me is the lack of franchise-player-material UFAs this year. Kovalchuk's injury and struggles make it obvious we need another star forward badly and there seems to be none out there this year. Last summer it was Parise and Semin. This year you gotta either go with a retirement plan (i.e. signing Iginla or Jagr) or throw some filthy money at Ribeiro and pray he stays close to point-per-game and doesn't implode (which is unlikely). Can't really trade for any all-stars with our assets (or lack thereof)... Not to mention, all of our top scorers but Kovalchuk are going UFA or RFA. Possible brutal summer ahead!

What am I talking about?  Lou failure to replace the offense from 2012.  Lou's signing of two 40yr old goalies. Lou not negotiating with Elias our MVP during the season. Lou should  be fired.

I can't believe some of you attacking Marty this way. Yes he played poorly, but guess what, he's Martin fvcking Brodeur. I guarantee everyone that's hard on Marty right now was crying for him when Moose was stinking up the joint in February.

again, i can love marty for everything he's done for this franchise and believe me i do. but quotes today do not sit well with me.

"we knew it"

"we quit"

"we don't score."

"we lost a top 3 guy in zach"

do you notice a theme?

what i notice is there is no "I".

marty has been a below average goaltender for two years now. he had some spurts last year and then a fantastic round 2 and 3 and a pretty good finals. if he is an average goaltender this year and gives them a .905 - .910 save percentage, they are likely in the playoffs.

yes, losing parise hurt. and when kovalchuk went down, that hurt more. but marty was plenty part of that 10 game losing streak. yet there's nothing you hear about that from him.

hopefully lou did learn from losing parise and realizing that zajac and an educated shot in the dark like bobby butler can't replace that in the aggregate. i hope it makes him realize that elias and clarkson need to be retained and another scoring forward needs to be brought in some way. i think he's hoping that he drafts it this year.

i hope his thinking is that a guy like boucher can compete for a spot in camp and that he's not penciling that in because that's a big mistake.

but for those bashing marty and those protecting him as above reproach, the truth is in the middle. he's an important part of this team and just as much a reason as any for where they are today.

It is a mans game, unfortunately Blowdeur isn't a man. It's inexcusable to let in those chickensh!t softies to break a teams back early on. The offense is thin as it is. It needs to know it has a reliable goaltender behind them. Not some choking not paying attention turd who is looking the other way as Callahan stuffs it in. Can he get his fat head in the game?

Please retire already.

Can't win games without scoring but I totally agree with you

again, i can love marty for everything he's done for this franchise and believe me i do. but quotes today do not sit well with me.

"we knew it"

"we quit"

"we don't score."

do you notice a theme?

marty has been a below average goaltender for two years now. he had some spurts last year and then a fantastic round 2 and 3 and a pretty good finals. if he is an average goaltender this year and gives them a .905 - .910 save percentage, they are likely in the playoffs.

yes, losing parise hurt. and when kovalchuk went down, that hurt more. but marty was plenty part of that 10 game losing streak. yet there's nothing you hear about that from him.

hopefully lou did learn from losing parise and realizing that zajac and an educated shot in the dark like bobby butler can't replace that in the aggregate. i hope it makes him realize that elias and clarkson need to be retained and another scoring forward needs to be brought in some way. i think he's hoping that he drafts it this year.

i hope his thinking is that a guy like boucher can compete for a spot in camp and that he's not penciling that in because that's a big mistake.

Thank you you are so right.but for those bashing marty and those protecting him as above reproach, the truth is in the middle. he's an important part of this team and just as much a reason as any for where they are today.

thank you you are so right.

"we knew it"

"we quit"

"we don't score."

do you notice a theme?

but for those bashing marty and those protecting him as above reproach, the truth is in the middle. he's an important part of this team and just as much a reason as any for where they are today.

It's actually frustrating to think that he's an important part of this team at this juncture and moving forward for next season.  That speaks volumes to me.

He's not worthy of that kind of status anymore.

"we knew it"

"we quit"

"we don't score."

do you notice a theme?

First of all you're way too wrapped up in what Marty says.  Yeah his quote about knowing they were out of it bugged me coming from a player, but was he really wrong?  Everyone knew they had like a .0001 percent shot at the playoffs after the ten-game losing streak.  As far as him not owning up to being a part of the ten-game streak, dude you really gotta look at the scores of these games again:

2-2 (SO loss)

4-4 (SO loss)

3-2 (OT loss)

3-1

1-0

2-1

2-2 (SO loss)

5-4

2-0

2-0

Of those games you could blame Marty for what, two?  He was bad in Tampa and against Boston.  Other than those two games they gave up sixteen non-empty net goals in the other eight games.  You could blame him for being a sieve in the shootout all year I suppose, but they weren't scoring in the shootout either so it's the same ****.  Hell, I thought he'd be worse in the second half than he actually was considering how bad he was coming off an injury last year and how long he was out.

Edited by NJDevs4978

"we knew it"

"we quit"

"we don't score."

do you notice a theme?

His quotes summed up:

They did.

They did.

They can't.

They did.

While Brodeur has been an average to below average goaltender for a few years now, you have to score goals to support your goaltender. Look how good Lundqvist looks now. When the Rangers were almost last in offense he was in the same boat as Brodeur. Perfect or lose. And Lundqvist is the current Vezina winner not a 40+ legend hanging on.

Losing Parise was the biggest FA player loss in this franchise's history (one can argue Niedermayer which would be an interesting debate). Lou Lamoriello simply did not upgrade the team's talent level. While there was a steal of a trade made  and some good, low risk depth moves made during the season there was ZERO attempt to upgrade the roster with any sort of talent from July 4th to the trade deadline. The team's biggest goat is the man sitting in the GM's chair. He's too old, stubborn and set in his ways. The game has passed him by and the way you deal with players has as well. He treaded water with players 20+ years ago and he still hasn't learned his lesson. The one time he breaks rank and signs a player (Zajac) he proceeds to show the other FA's on the team "what about us"? Not to mention the questions of why wasn't this done with Parise as far back as 2010 when you just knew it was Parise or Kovalchuk, not both. 

While brodeur is getting his fair share of it and rightfully so, the man in the GM's chair deserves more, if not most.

Edited by TheRedStorm

First of all you're way too wrapped up in what Marty says.  Yeah his quote about knowing they were out of it bugged me coming from a player, but was he really wrong?  Everyone knew they had like a .0001 percent shot at the playoffs after the ten-game losing streak.  As far as him not owning up to being a part of the ten-game streak, dude you really gotta look at the scores of these games again:

2-2 (SO loss)

4-4 (SO loss)

3-2 (OT loss)

3-1

1-0

2-1

2-2 (SO loss)

5-4

2-0

2-0

Of those games you could blame Marty for what, two?  He was bad in Tampa and against Boston.  Other than those two games they gave up sixteen non-empty net goals in the other eight games.  You could blame him for being a sieve in the shootout all year I suppose, but they weren't scoring in the shootout either so it's the same ****.  Hell, I thought he'd be worse in the second half than he actually was considering how bad he was coming off an injury last year and how long he was out.

He faced like what 30 shots combined in all those games.  Please.  You can't have it both ways.  You want to complain about us having the puck in the offensive zone 80% of the time and not being able to score, then I say fine, because that's pretty close to being the truth there.  But to just look at the score of a game and postulate that Marty is not an issue, is being disingenuous.

Marty's relative candor with the media is one of the things I've always respected most about him.

I'm sorry to see the Devils not make it.  Looks like below replacement goaltending (especially from Hedberg) was the biggest problem this year.  I think the Devils are a playoff team next year unless Brodeur's play truly collapses. 

His quotes summed up:

They did.

They did.

They can't.

They did.

While Brodeur has been an average to below average goaltender for a few years now, you have to score goals to support your goaltender. Look how good Lundqvist looks now. When the Rangers were almost last in offense he was in the same boat as Brodeur. Perfect or lose. And Lundqvist is the current Vezina winner not a 40+ legend hanging on.

Losing Parise was the biggest FA player loss in this franchise's history (one can argue Niedermayer which would be an interesting debate). Lou Lamoriello simply did not upgrade the team's talent level. While there was a steal of a trade made  and some good, low risk depth moves made during the season there was ZERO attempt to upgrade the roster with any sort of talent from July 4th to the trade deadline. The team's biggest goat is the man sitting in the GM's chair. He's too old, stubborn and set in his ways. The game has passed him by and the way you deal with players has as well. He treaded water with players 20+ years ago and he still hasn't learned his lesson. The one time he breaks rank and signs a player (Zajac) he proceeds to show the other FA's on the team "what about us"? Not to mention the questions of why wasn't this done with Parise as far back as 2010 when you just knew it was Parise or Kovalchuk, not both. 

While brodeur is getting his fair share of it and rightfully so, the man in the GM's chair deserves more, if not most.

niedermayer was more of a loss than parise but it is an interesting debate.

as for your argument about lundqvist being perfect, you're right. but where you're wrong is that the losses were not on him. his save percentage was still top 5 in the league. he did his part. marty has not done his.

Should the Devils be relying on a 41 year old

Please retire already.

First two goals weren't on Marty.