This off seasons UFA's and realistic possible trades

2ELIAS6

Elias is better at wing and he has stated often he does not like playing center. Richards is a center and does not play well on the wings.

I get that but having Elias playing mostly center these last few seasons has worked out and i want him to center Henrique as much as possible. Also Richards would be a better wing on a different team because he is slowing down, less responsibility would do him good. I dont think he can be teams 1 or 2 center and his type of game is not suited for a third line center. He would be a decent winger on a second line in my opinion. Edited by Zubie#8

Elias is better at wing and he has stated often he does not like playing center. Richards is a center and does not play well on the wings.

He's not better at wing and I don't think he's said that he doesn't like playing center.  At this stage of his career, Elias is a center.

He's not better at wing and I don't think he's said that he doesn't like playing center. At this stage of his career, Elias is a center.

I don't agree.

Edited by coldply123

You're wrong.

Okay, cool.  Provide evidence?  Elias's speed isn't there anymore, his shot isn't great, but he distributes the puck quite well and his defense is top notch at either position, but of course defense at center is more important.  And Elias has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't mind switching.

Okay, cool. Provide evidence? Elias's speed isn't there anymore, his shot isn't great, but he distributes the puck quite well and his defense is top notch at either position, but of course defense at center is more important. And Elias has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't mind switching.

He prefers playing wing and has stated it repeatedly but because he can play center he gets pushed there all the time. His best seasons have always been as a winger. Check the stats he is better at wing. You love stats but seem to ignore them when you don't like how they counteract your own presumptive opinions.

• Like 1

He prefers playing wing and has stated it repeatedly but because he can play center he gets pushed there all the time. His best seasons have always been as a winger. Check the stats he is better at wing. You love stats but seem to ignore them when you don't like how they counteract your own presumptive opinions.

I agree that I'd prefer Elias on the wing as well, but you can't just say that he has stated it over and over again and then not provide a few sources supporting that argument or claim.  He best seasons have also came when he was younger and still had his speed.  He used to have elite speed in my honest opinion, I was just watching the 2000 cup playoffs and he could probably have burnt Gomez who had great speed.  I don't ever remember Elias stating that he prefers the wing.  This is a bit of a silly argument, like when people were arguing over "Can Kovy play right wing?" "Yeah! But he'd rather be on the left (insert reason here).  The important thing is that the guy produces no matter where he is slotted in the lineup, even this past season was a good one, maybe a bit of a down year, but I think if he and Henrique can catch fire with a good winger, we'll have 2 dangerous top lines again.

Come on man....

Edited by RizzMB30

I agree that I'd prefer Elias on the wing as well, but you can't just say that he has stated it over and over again and then not provide a few sources supporting that argument or claim. He best seasons have also came when he was younger and still had his speed. He used to have elite speed in my honest opinion, I was just watching the 2000 cup playoffs and he could probably have burnt Gomez who had great speed. I don't ever remember Elias stating that he prefers the wing. This is a bit of a silly argument, like when people were arguing over "Can Kovy play right wing?" "Yeah! But he'd rather be on the left (insert reason here). The important thing is that the guy produces no matter where he is slotted in the lineup, even this past season was a good one, maybe a bit of a down year, but I think if he and Henrique can catch fire with a good winger, we'll have 2 dangerous top lines again.

Come on man....

Chico mentioned it countless times on the broadcast over they last several years.

Okay, well when you find a quote that says that, I will believe you.  All the quotes from the last few years in my memory are to the effect of 'I'll play either thing'.  The only quote I could find either way was this:

Elias didn't mind the move back to the middle, which happened during Sunday's loss in Edmonton. 

"I enjoyed it," Elias said after Tuesday's practice. "In Edmonton, when you switch during the game, it always takes a little time. So I got in trouble a couple of times."

As for the stats, yes, Elias *was* a better winger, but he is now 38 years old.  He just doesn't have the speed to be an attacking winger anymore.  He was a center pretty much exclusively during his 2012 season when he had 78 points, and he was a center almost exclusively last year and had a good season.  There's certainly not a preponderance of evidence that suggests he's better at wing, and certainly not enough to suggest that a team as weak down the center as the Devils should move Elias off center.

Okay, well when you find a quote that says that, I will believe you.  All the quotes from the last few years in my memory are to the effect of 'I'll play either thing'.  The only quote I could find either way was this:

As for the stats, yes, Elias *was* a better winger, but he is now 38 years old.  He just doesn't have the speed to be an attacking winger anymore.  He was a center pretty much exclusively during his 2012 season when he had 78 points, and he was a center almost exclusively last year and had a good season.  There's certainly not a preponderance of evidence that suggests he's better at wing, and certainly not enough to suggest that a team as weak down the center as the Devils should move Elias off center.

Tri: if the Devils acquired a center slotted to play on the second line behind Zajac or ahead of him, would you be an advocate of Elias as the 3rd line center or 2nd line wing?  Elias should only play center if no1 else is good enough to in the top 6?  I definitely think if another center is acquired, you could play Henrique AND Elias on the wings. 

The key is determining ice time between lines. Mike Richards was playing the "4th line" in LA. He played plenty of minutes. If the devils acquire another center and it moves henrique or Elias to a third line (note I'm not saying THE third line), as long as the minutes work and all lines are productive, who cares.

I disagree, Elias is more effective at center now. He naturally prefers laying back, playing high in the O zone, and distributing. Those are things the center does more often than the wing for the Devils.

We need speed... No way Richards bring speed... 

Grabovski, Gaborik and statsny will improve our quickness.

I would love a Yakupov trade (if we are sure he doesnt go back to russia) He would bring speed, youngness and would be with a bunch of veteran so it would be good for him. Frankly we are the best match for him.

Elias actually prefers to play center now.

• Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press: In the last month, Jets Evander Kane has been rumored to be connected with the Flyers, Bruins, Penguins, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Kings, Senators, Rangers, Oilers and Sabres. Though it may be interesting to see what they could get for him, a counter would be what he could do for the Jets if healthy, focused and playing on the left side of Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. Keeping Kane, would give the Jets two solid left wingers, with Andrew Ladd being the other. The next two left wingers on the Jets depth chart are James Wright and Eric Tangradi.

oh well... maybe its good news that we're not rumoured to be after him

• Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press: In the last month, Jets Evander Kane has been rumored to be connected with the Flyers, Bruins, Penguins, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Kings, Senators, Rangers, Oilers and Sabres. Though it may be interesting to see what they could get for him, a counter would be what he could do for the Jets if healthy, focused and playing on the left side of Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. Keeping Kane, would give the Jets two solid left wingers, with Andrew Ladd being the other. The next two left wingers on the Jets depth chart are James Wright and Eric Tangradi.

oh well... maybe its good news that we're not rumoured to be after him

why would it be good news? hes a great player.  i don't understand this.  a third of the NHL can be connected to Kane, how are we not even mentioned in this scenario?  3 of them our long-time rivals too..

Edited by Onddeck

why would it be good news? hes a great player.  i don't understand this.  a third of the NHL can be connected to Kane, how are we not even mentioned in this scenario?  3 of them our long-time rivals too..

When Lou makes deals, it's usually when you've never heard the Devils mentioned in trade rumors for that player previously.  You'd have better luck getting accurate information out of a Japenese POW during WWII than the Devils front office when it comes to trade negotiations.

The Devils don't have the assets, that's been repeated over and over again.  The Devils have Henrique, Larsson, Gelinas, maybe Boucher or Merril(No real value at this point in their careers) + draft picks.  They can't trade their first this year and no1 wants to give up their 2015 1st rounder.  Throw a Devils player or asset on the table and I could tell you why they have little to no value OR have a NMC or NTC

Could not be happier that Ryan Callahan and the Lightning are working on a deal. He's the kind of player that hockey people swoon over, and I'd be scared that Lou would be all over him too.

Whichever team gets Callahan is going to regret it immensely.

From Travis Yost:

I'm just going to pull random players in Callahan's scoring range over the years at even-strength and let you make the decision on whether or not Ottawa should entertain the option of going 6Y/$6MM+:

UHRnYTl.png

Look at the crowd of players he's in here. There's nothing separating him from this group. Someone's going to pay Ryan Callahan an unfathomable amount of money, for a reason I haven't really figured out yet. He doesn't score a ton, his grit-heart-soul game only lets him break even in the on-ice goal department, and he doesn't compensate for any of this by shooting in volume.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=60432

why would it be good news? hes a great player. i don't understand this. a third of the NHL can be connected to Kane, how are we not even mentioned in this scenario? 3 of them our long-time rivals too..

Who needs Kane when you have the CBGB line coming back in 2014-15!!