NFL Week 10....

CRASHER

ok well about Rodgers:

Its tough to say that he is currently, but Aaron Rodgers has the potential to be the greatest QB to ever play. Right now he is elite.. but if he picks it up a little and stays consistent through YEARS... we will be able to say that

His QB rating is around 130...don't think he can pick it up much more.

I agree, let me see him do it as long as Brady and Manning have. I'm not saying that he won't or can't, but I have to see it happen first before I anoint him the best of his era.

His QB rating is around 130...don't think he can pick it up much more.

I agree, let me see him do it as long as Brady and Manning have. I'm not saying that he won't or can't, but I have to see it happen first before I anoint him the best of his era.

Best of the era is different than saying over the last calendar year, he is playing at a level above. He has to prove it for a long time to be in that class, but even if he retired after this year, I'd have no objection with saying that he retired playing the highest level of football a QB can.

I sort of feel bad for Brett Favre. And I know no one usually does. But his legacy is almost tarnished. Sure the Packers fans booed him, but if they went through a funk for 10-15 years, even 5 years, they'd prob warm up and remember all the good Favre brought them. But all his individual game and season records are all going to be wiped. Rodgers already brought them a Super Bowl. Maybe a second one coming soon. Rodgers is making it very easy for Packers to forget Brett Favre's legacy and career. And if you forget that, all you are going to remember is the past 3-4 years and what a mess they were. That's unfortunate.

I sort of feel bad for Brett Favre. And I know no one usually does. But his legacy is almost tarnished. Sure the Packers fans booed him, but if they went through a funk for 10-15 years, even 5 years, they'd prob warm up and remember all the good Favre brought them. But all his individual game and season records are all going to be wiped. Rodgers already brought them a Super Bowl. Maybe a second one coming soon. Rodgers is making it very easy for Packers to forget Brett Favre's legacy and career. And if you forget that, all you are going to remember is the past 3-4 years and what a mess they were. That's unfortunate.

I don't......if Brett had packed his sh!t and walked away without REPEATED retirement drama fits, embarrassed himself by playing too long (that last year in Minnesota) and on top of that his prissy little comments this year, Favre damn near deserves A-Rod writing his name right out of the Packer history books....and not to mention he does it at a TENTH of the INT and turnover level Favre had......sometimes karma is a bitch.....sometimes she punches you in the kidneys too.......3 years of 3900 + yards, 65.7 % completions, 28 TDs a year....and no year with over 13 INTs.....and here's an interesting one....he has 15 rushing TDs and averages about 300 yards a year with his feet....his stats are nuts at this point, and this team is SO YOUNG (aside of Driver and Woodson pretty much)...the upside for him is staggering

• Like 1

Why? He tarnished his own legacy. A legacy, I might add that was built only on partial recall amplification, and mythology.

Farve did everything he could to sabotage Rodgers after the Packers drafted him. ( "Tutoring and mentoring other QB's is NOT part of my job description"). Favre's selfishness probably helped make Rodgers that much more superior than Favre (the turnover king) ever was.

If not for Reggie White, Favre would have never won a Super Bowl.

if I could quote Greg Jennings:

"We played with Brett, we had success with Brett. We didn’t go all the way with Brett, but we did with Aaron. I think that kind of speaks for itself.”

Edited by MantaRay

the thing I WILL give Favre credit for.....he was maybe the most FEARLESS QB of all time....and that was part of his appeal, he'd make stupid passes in absurd coverage and not care about the INT, just the CHANCE to make a play was all he needed.....and more often then not they did work out, and that more then anything should truly be his legacy...and the will to play through some injuries that would have put a horse down...but that goes back to the fearless factor.....or too stupid to miss a game :P

the thing I WILL give Favre credit for.....he was maybe the most FEARLESS QB of all time....and that was part of his appeal, he'd make stupid passes in absurd coverage and not care about the INT, just the CHANCE to make a play was all he needed.....and more often then not they did work out, and that more then anything should truly be his legacy...and the will to play through some injuries that would have put a horse down...but that goes back to the fearless factor.....or too stupid to miss a game :P

Fearless or insecure?

3x MVP.. 11x ProBowl.. 500+ TD Passes.. 70,000+ yrds.. 300 Consecutive games played.. 200 Career Wins (including playoffs).. you can go on and on. The numbers simply speak for themselves.

Is he THE greatest quarterback of all-time? --No. Is he ONE OF the greatest QB's all-time? --Absolutely.

The "Favre Antics" that transpired towards the end.. (retiring 100 times.. sex-ting.. his time with the Jets\Vikings) ..it all came in the final 2 years of his career. Yet last time I checked, Favre played 20 years. The haters and naysayers tend fixate on Favre from 2008-2010. But that's like only focusing on Brodeurs last 2 years.

In regards to Favres ego and self admiration.. why do people obsess on this as such an unusual issue? :noclue: Most great athletes, regardless of the sport.. have a little diva in them all. No one is questioning Favre's humility. (or lack thereof) However.. again.. this comes with many accomplished athletes. Not sure why so many fans gasp at this.

The appreciation of Favre will grow, as times goes by. Again, like I said before, the numbers speak for themselves.

Did his career end well? Absolutely not. But should that "tarnish his legacy" or corrupt the body of work in a 20 year HOF career? Not a chance.

-------------

EDIT: He may only have 1 Superbowl.. but the man played in 7 Championship games. Just a little FYI.

Edited by Beezer34

3x MVP.. 11x ProBowl.. 500+ TD Passes.. 70,000+ yrds.. 300 Consecutive games played.. 200 Career Wins (including playoffs).. you can go on and on. The numbers simply speak for themselves.

Is he THE greatest quarterback of all-time? --No. Is he ONE OF the greatest QB's all-time? --Absolutely.

The "Favre Antics" that transpired towards the end.. (retiring 100 times.. sex-ting.. his time with the Jets\Vikings) ..it all came in the final 2 years of his career. Yet last time I checked, Favre played 20 years. The haters and naysayers tend fixate on Favre from 2008-2010. But that's like only focusing on Brodeurs last 2 years.

In regards to Favres ego and self admiration.. why do people obsess on this as such an unusual issue? :noclue: Most great athletes, regardless of the sport.. have a little diva in them all. No one is questioning Favre's humility. (or lack thereof) However.. again.. this comes with many accomplished athletes. Not sure why so many fans gasp at this.

The appreciation of Favre will grow, as times goes by. Again, like I said before, the numbers speak for themselves.

Did his career end well? Absolutely not. But should that "tarnish his legacy" or corrupt the body of work in a 20 year HOF career? Not a chance.

-------------

EDIT: He may only have 1 Superbowl.. but the man played in 7 Championship games. Just a little FYI.

I will say it again, if Farve did not have Reggie White on the Packers he would have had no championship games, no superbowl, and would have had a greater INT to TD ratio.

Favre had the benefit of being in the right place at the right time with a defense that could limit the opposition offense.

I can't take the 300 consecutive games played away from him, that's the all-time iron man streak in any professional sport. I do half think he was sticking pins in a Peyton voodoo doll before this season so he could keep the record and it worked :lol:

And his talent was certainly enormous at his peak, but he wasn't consistently one of the top QB's in his later years (people seem to forget now about the number of meh seasons he had there after Holmgren left - kind of like Kovy unleashed, he had nobody that could put the leash on him until McCarthy got there)

But he was extremely egocentric between all the retirements, the way he left GB and maneuvered himself to Minnesota, the coach issues and not helping Rodgers (to be fair Montana pulled the same thing with Steve Young) - so I agree with CRASHER and Manta in that I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He's going to the Hall of Fame, he'll get his number retired someday, it's not like his legacy will be obliterated, just some of his massive ego :P

I can't take the 300 consecutive games played away from him, that's the all-time iron man streak in any professional sport. I do half think he was sticking pins in a Peyton voodoo doll before this season so he could keep the record and it worked :lol:

And his talent was certainly enormous at his peak, but he wasn't consistently one of the top QB's in his later years (people seem to forget now about the number of meh seasons he had there after Holmgren left - kind of like Kovy unleashed, he had nobody that could put the leash on him until McCarthy got there)

But he was extremely egocentric between all the retirements, the way he left GB and maneuvered himself to Minnesota, the coach issues and not helping Rodgers (to be fair Montana pulled the same thing with Steve Young) - so I agree with CRASHER and Manta in that I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He's going to the Hall of Fame, he'll get his number retired someday, it's not like his legacy will be obliterated, just some of his massive ego :P

I will give you the 300 games. That is a difficult task for a position that gets beat up every Sunday.

But at least Favre had a running game: Ahman Green.

He was selected to the NFL Pro Bowl every year from 2001 to 2004 and broke several franchise records. From the time he joined the Packers in 2000 up through the end of the 2004 season, Green gained more yards from scrimmage (9,036) and rushing yards (6,848) than any other NFL player.