Salvador officially named captain

SterioDesign

Those a "a bunch of younger guys" are arguably among the top 5-10 defensemen in the league. They are also 2-3 years older than Larsson. All of them had issues with their game in their first season. Larsson's footspeed can be improved.

Also, complaining about Hedman because he hasn't panned out according to the max projection (which in itself is ridiculous)...he's coming around. He had 20 points in 26 games in the KHL, has been above 20 points in all of his three NHL seasons. Guys with his size can take longer to adjust because of their frame.

Hedman is already an incredible defenseman - just because he doesn't put up points doesn't mean that he isn't outstanding. I don't know that I would take him above the 3 defensemen you named but he's almost certainly in the top 30 D men in the league.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hedman is already an incredible defenseman - just because he doesn't put up points doesn't mean that he isn't outstanding. I don't know that I would take him above the 3 defensemen you named but he's almost certainly in the top 30 D men in the league.

yeah but if you pick a dman 4 overall you expect him to contribute offensively and who can play aggressive you can get stay home dman who contribute once in awhile in the later rounds. I'd expect way more from Larsson long term for a 4th overall pick there was so many incredibly good players that we could have got instead, i really don't want to look back and be bummed that we picked him in a few years.

Edited by SterioDesign

yeah but if you pick a dman 4 overall you expect him to contribute offensively and who can play aggressive you can get stay home dman who contribute once in awhile in the later rounds. I'd expect way more from Larsson long term for a 4th overall pick there was so many incredibly good players that we could have got instead, i really don't want to look back and be bummed that we picked him in a few years.

If you can get a near sure-fire top 2 defensive D-man with some offensive potential you damn well take him.

Hedman isn't a stay at home defenseman, he's just a guy who isn't used a ton on the power play. There's a giant difference.

Larsson has so much more developing to do and he is already pretty good. At 19.

Anyway, since this is a thread about Salvador becoming captain, I'm glad for him but his contract runs 3 years and he will almost certainly be a healthy scratch/7th D by the end of it so that's going to create some awkward situations.

I was answering ATLL75's question before I saw that DIG already had. I wasn't attempting to split hairs.

I wasn't actually responding to you, you got in there before I hit post. It was a royal you, meaning society splits hairs. Is 25% black, black enought to count? For some yes, for some no.

Anyway, since this is a thread about Salvador becoming captain, I'm glad for him but his contract runs 3 years and he will almost certainly be a healthy scratch/7th D by the end of it so that's going to create some awkward situations.

That's what I'm wondering..will the coaching staff actually scratch him? Or will he automatically be gifted that 6th spot because of the 'C'?

• 4 weeks later...

Sal is officially -1 at this stage in the season.  The team has given up 24 goals.  It seems he's been on the ice for all of them by the way he's played.  Anyone know what the official count is or how to find out?

5 on 5

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=22&f1=2012_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=N.J&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

6 goals

4 on 5

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=22&f1=2012_s&f2=4v5&f4=D&f5=N.J&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

3 goals

5 on 4

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=25&s=22&f1=2012_s&f2=5v4&f4=D&f5=N.J&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

0 goals

Not sure about 2 man advantage situations.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

So not bad at all. A little over a third of the goals, but considering he gets rolled out against tough competition, that's acceptable. They haven't given up many bad goals. They're around first in the conference after losing Parise, and having played a decently tough schedule. I don't see how we can complain now. 

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm trying to find the 5-3's...  just to get an idea.

edit:  according to this same site the Devils have given up 1 3-5 GA.  I'm pretty sure Sal was on the ice.  I'm thinking it was against the Isles in the OTL.

Edited by capo

If he was on 5-3 would that really be his fault? If he's on its because the coach views him as one of our best defensive defencemen.

Also they have given up two 3-4s... OT against Montreal and the other OT against NYI. Overtime PPs are 4 on 3s. Not sure when that 5-3 was though...

I'm not suggesting the 3-5 was his fault.  I'm just trying to figure out how many goal goals against he's been on the ice for.  The number is very indicative of his play, however.

Thanks for bringing up the 3-4s.  I hadn't thought about that scenario.