NFL 2011 Offseason Thead

Hi, I'm VALUE!

You think the fins will wear the throwback uniforms again like in 2003?!!!

I wish we would wear them, but I think I heard that they won't be. I don't know why the Fins don't break out the throwbacks, they could sell tons more jerseys and merchandise that way.

Crash, we got Fins-'Boys on Turkey Day!!

Hey I remember a VERY relevant Cowboys-Dolphins thanksgiving day loss that the team in Dallas put behind them and NEVER looked back.... I welcome that again :evil:

Don't like watching Cowboy games at Sun Tavern?

I like watching as many games as possible, and I'd rather watch the games against the local teams at HOME... I'm less likely to punch a front-running idiot gassed up on training beer that way :P

I wish we would wear them, but I think I heard that they won't be. I don't know why the Fins don't break out the throwbacks, they could sell tons more jerseys and merchandise that way.

Yeah a #91 throwback would look pretty nice on me

I love how we're all smart enough to know the judge stopping the lockout means NOTHING and we're all ignoring that "news"

I find it hilarious that the NFL's having a draft on the one hand, while on the other doing everything to keep the league shut down (giving coaches 'days off' when the players come to workouts that are supposed to be open, not allowing players to be traded during the draft, etc).

I find it hilarious that the NFL's having a draft on the one hand, while on the other doing everything to keep the league shut down (giving coaches 'days off' when the players come to workouts that are supposed to be open, not allowing players to be traded during the draft, etc).

It's the same reason they've stupidly moved this to Prime Time on Thursday instead of leaving it as a WEEKEND thing like it should be..... ratings....the whole drama of what team is gonna be dumb enough to take Cam Newton.... the trades and all the hype of a first round pick... all too big for the NFL to miss out on... and it's the one time the NFL is relevant again until August...

It does suck that you can't trade players for picks.... I'd not know what to do in my Madden league without that :P

Shot! I forgot about that. Too bad I will miss it during the NHL Playoffs.

I guess I will just DVR it and watch it on Saturday morning before the rest of the draft.

Nashville game isn't till 9, you have time for both......

It's the same reason they've stupidly moved this to Prime Time on Thursday instead of leaving it as a WEEKEND thing like it should be.

Odin be praised! I could not agree more.

In effect they have buried what should be a huge event into an after thought amongst other viewing options.

I LOVED Saturday draft day, it was a HUGE event for me. It was literally a holiday. The one Spring day when I scheduled nothing and just watched the whole presentation from pre-pre draft 10am through post draft day analysis. But the NFL has never been a fan friendly league in the past decade.

Nashville game isn't till 9, you have time for both......

Nope, I usually don't have time to watch TV till 9pm.

It's the same reason they've stupidly moved this to Prime Time on Thursday instead of leaving it as a WEEKEND thing like it should be..... ratings....the whole drama of what team is gonna be dumb enough to take Cam Newton.... the trades and all the hype of a first round pick... all too big for the NFL to miss out on... and it's the one time the NFL is relevant again until August...

It does suck that you can't trade players for picks.... I'd not know what to do in my Madden league without that :P

I don't mind the new format myself, especially with less time between picks. It became tedious watching the first round with fifteen minutes between picks and teams sucking up most of the clock when they didn't need to. Plus it's nice not to have to spend a sunny weekend day indoors when your team's in the first couple rounds :P

I would prefer they started at 7 instead of 8 tonight, especially with the fact my team isn't gonna wind up picking till 11:30 but whatever.

Praise Jesus that Jerry took an OL!!!!!

Saints made out HUGE with Ingram.... loved Reggie Bush tweeting goodbye to New Orleans :lol:

Man Atlanta gave the motherload away yesterday didn't they......

Praise Jesus that Jerry took an OL!!!!!

Saints made out HUGE with Ingram.... loved Reggie Bush tweeting goodbye to New Orleans :lol:

Man Atlanta gave the motherload away yesterday didn't they......

Read about this draft this morning and Atlanta really F'd up.

next years first round, a second, and two fourths the next two years for a player who had problems catching the ball in college because he was afraid of getting hit?

Great move for Cleveland

Read about this draft this morning and Atlanta really F'd up.

next years first round, a second, and two fourths the next two years for a player who had problems catching the ball in college because he was afraid of getting hit?

Great move for Cleveland

I agree. Not only did Atlanta overpay in terms of picks, but they now have the 6th overall pick which means they have to give him big money. There are lot of Free agent WRs available this offseason, all of whom are going to be better than a rookie Julio Jones, and would def want to play opposite Roddy White in Atlanta for less money than they'll give Jones.

I like what I hear about the Jets pick. I don't know enough about the guy really to comment, but it was an area of need at least.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Hopefully, we get Chicago's 4th round pick as compensation for last night.

Explanation from Peter King on the RAVENS "passing" on their pick:

Chicago, picking 29th, and Baltimore, at 26, finalized a trade that would have had them switch slots, with the Ravens getting the Bears' fourth-round pick in return. Chicago would take Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, and the Ravens, if Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith was still on the board, would take Smith at 29. With two minutes left in the Ravens' period, the deal was done.

Under NFL rules, each team has to report the trade to NFL draft headquarters at Radio City Music Hall. The Ravens called it in. They assumed Chicago called it in, but due to a miscommunication in the Bears' draft room, no one from Chicago ever called the league. As the clock ticked down to zero, and with Chicago on the phone with Carimi to tell him he was going to be their pick, Baltimore noticed no one at the league had announced the trade and Chicago's pick of Carimi. Meanwhile, Kansas City, with the 27th pick, rushed its card to the desk at Radio City, taking Pittsburgh wideout Jonathan Baldwin.

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome, on an open line to New York, demanded to know why the trade hadn't gone through. Chicago never called to confirm it, Newsome was told. Baltimore was infuriated. The league didn't allow the trade. The Ravens picked Smith at 27 (not 26; Kansas City was awarded the 26th pick and took Baldwin, because the Chiefs got the pick in before the Ravens did), and the Bears got lucky, getting Carimi at 29.

"Whatever you hear, Baltimore did everything the right way," Bears GM Jerry Angelo told Chicago media. "There were a lot of things happening in the draft room. We were getting a lot of calls, we just ... dropped the ball. I dropped the ball. I can't say anything more than that."

All's well that ends well, you say? Not so fast. Angelo called Baltimore owner Steve Bisciotti to apologize, but Bisciotti wanted the fourth-round pick anyway, claiming it was part of the deal they'd agreed to. In fact, I'm told Bisciotti today will push to get the fourth-round pick, or to make the situation right in some way.

The league is under no obligation to do so, because the trade was never official. And maybe all's fair in love and draft-night trades, but as far as Baltimore's concerned, I don't think this one's over. I think the Ravens will ask the league to award them some compensation from Chicago before the draft resumes at 6 p.m. Eastern today. Stay tuned.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1Kw5kKryb