2012-13 AHL/ECHL Thread

RowdyFan42

For me, I'd move Severson down to tier 2 and take McPherson off my list completely.

Gelinas and Urbom's scoring are both in the crapper so far this season, without seeing the games I can't tell why, anyone with some insight?

I know Severson was just picked in the past drafft, but he has a chance to be as good as any of those guys. Look at his stats for Kelowna. Keep in mind he is matched against the toughs

I know Severson was just picked in the past drafft, but he has a chance to be as good as any of those guys. Look at his stats for Kelowna. Keep in mind he is matched against the toughs

I don't think it's any bad thing to be on a tier with Burlon and Scarlett. Burlon is older and has less upside but is doing not bad at the AHL level and Scarlett is also putting up good numbers while being leaned on by his team.

I'm looking at tier 1 and seeing guys who were high picks and talented guys who have looked good against tougher competition and who are further along in development/age. I'm looking at tier 2 as guys with lesser upside or who also have awhile to go on the development curve to see what they're really made of.

I don't think it's any bad thing to be on a tier with Burlon and Scarlett. Burlon is older and has less upside but is doing not bad at the AHL level and Scarlett is also putting up good numbers while being leaned on by his team.

I'm looking at tier 1 and seeing guys who were high picks and talented guys who have looked good against tougher competition and who are further along in development/age. I'm looking at tier 2 as guys with lesser upside or who also have awhile to go on the development curve to see what they're really made of.

That's fair. I guess I'm focusing more on potential while you're looking at the present.

I mean, I'm not a fan of sticking guys into tiers, but boy does Severson look like a guy who's going to be a fine pro defender. He won't be ready for several years, but at least in the one game I saw him, he looked like a guy who would at least kick around the league for a while.

Re: Gelinas and Urbom not getting points - Gelinas is getting his shots (27 in 11 games) - it's hard not to generate points off that kind of production, whether by deflections/rebounds or goals. Urbom, AFAIK, is not being used on the power play this year, I think he has been in years previous. In his rookie season his shots per game were close to 1.5 per game but he's settled into the 1 shot/game area.

Mantzas: The trouble is, Urbom doesn't have much value. Offensively he's nothing. Defensively, it's an open question - in 5 years he could be back playing in Sweden, a back-pairing/fringe defender, a guy facing average competition, or even a top pairing defender. None of these outcomes would particularly surprise me (top pairing defender would), but you just don't see Urbom types get traded that often.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so with the lockout over, Albany should lose at the very least, Butler, Josefson, Larsson, and S. Gionta, making the potential lines:

Pesonen-Zalewski-Whitney

Tedenby-Sestito-Anderson

Hoeffel-D. Zajac-Sislo

McKelvie-DeSimone-Wohlberg

(I'm assuming that Parse and Wiseman will be chronically injured)

Gelinas-Urbom

Leach-Hraberenka

Burlon-Kelly

ex: McPherson

Kinkaid

Frazee

That is dreadful - decent on D, so they won't be the worst team ever assembled, but there isn't even a hint of offense there.

For some reason both Gionta and Josefson are not in the Albany lineup tonight yet Larsson, Butler, and Tedenby are still playing. I think Lou said they would all be playing and coming to NJ tomorrow for physicals so it's kind of weird that those two are healthy scratches.

It's also odd to think that both could be injured, without any word. Flu, maybe? Seems like everyone else is getting it, why not them

It's also odd to think that both could be injured, without any word. Flu, maybe? Seems like everyone else is getting it, why not them

Yeah there is a flu bug going around right now. I just had it actually and know a bunch of other people that had it. But what's kind of weird is that JJ was ill about a month ago and they said prior to the game that he was out due to illness. If they were both sick/injured i would have thought they would do the same here. Guess we will find out soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list of defensemen with better shots/game ratios than Eric Gelinas in the AHL:

Slava Voynov

T.J. Brennan

Paul Postma

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Jake Gardiner

Michael Stone

If you had to guess what ties these 6 players together right now, what would it be?

ok first guess... all their girlfriend's name is Chantal ?

or.... they all already saw NHL action...? but i'd still put my money on my first guess

Edited by SterioDesign

• 2 weeks later...

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/devils-sign-20-year-old-russian-defenseman/14543/

Stepanov, 20, is a Moscow native who represented Russia during the 2010 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and the World Junior A Challenge.He spent the past 2½ seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League and the Minor Hockey League, playing for CSKA Moscow (2010-11) and Yekaterinburg (2011-13). He played 51 KHL games (0-2–2, 24 PIM) and 55 MHL outings (7-23–30, 54 PIM).

Stepanov, 6 feet and 175 pounds, has appeared in 20 KHL and two MHL games this season.

Here is his EliteProspects page.

This is such a strange move - I recognize Albany probably needs defense with Corrente out for the year and Gelinas didn't play last game, but how did anyone get in touch with this guy that he was wanted in Albany?

Actually, they're healthy other than Corrente, with Hraberenka as an extra. Strange.

Edited by Triumph