GDT: Hunger games, who will survive...part 1 (Philly @ NJ) 7:30 EST

Devil Fan

I was very pleased to wake up to the 5-2 score line, and when i started watching the game and i realised Doc was calling it I was insanely happy. Huge smile plastered across my face watching the game and hearing all the old calls. You could tell Doc was enjoying it as well, and he was clearly more excited when the Devils scored than the Flyers. 

Loktionov looks like a player who is willing to do what it takes to stay in the NHL, he looks like he is enjoying playing, you can see why many kings fans were upset to see him go.

can someone dump a milkshate on pierre's head???!!!  he ruins an otherwise great game with his forced philly love. what exactly was the message Scotty hartnell sending by taking cheap half@ssed penalties at the end of a complete buttkicking ??????

good game moose, they didnt have a lot of time in our zone but when they did they got chances.

So after re-watching the hit this morning, I'll bet Carter gets a game or two for this knee

Edit: I should clarify that it'd be a well-earned couple nights off.  I have no problem with this hit or his intention.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm not sure...   his leg was already wide - he didnt stick it out there; the movement in the leg seems to come mostly from the contact.   I see it both ways though.  

Agreed it was a penalty, if they suspend him for 1 (missing the Flyers rematch), I'd be ok with that...   it's just going to escalate I think.

Not sure the intention was there. It'd be an automatic suspension if there were a last minute jerk of the knee in Rinaldo's direction, that would signify 100% intention, but it's really more of a 50/50 play. Carter had every possibility of getting flipped around or hurt on that play as Rinaldo. I don't see a suspension coming, flukey play.

That game was, well, something. Probably our most complete game of the season seeing how we stayed in control even though we were winning basically the whole time. The Zajac line was buzzing again and I seriously cant believe they didnt score.  Ryan Carter had 6 freaking shots! I thought Clarkson had a solid game as well.  It's pretty clear that Zajac drives that line though.  His defensive prowless in the offensive zone sets up second chance opportunities for himself and others.  I know he's been struggling, but I have faith he'll turn it around.

That Elias-Henrique-Bernier line has been dynamite and continued their stellar play.  They set the tone early with that Elias goal and responded when Philly scored. Someone change Elias' name to Comcast because he owns the Flyers. Seriously, he continues to haunt them, even at his advanced age. Henrqiue's PP goal was a beauty and I liked what he did on the forcheck. Bernier fits well on that line because he can cycle the puck and is a big body presence.

Just when you think the game can't get any better, Loktionov totally pylons Coburn with a sweet toe drag then beats Bryz. That was some crazy skill....and patience.  He also had a nice pass to Henrique on the PP.  Can't believe we got him for a 5th.  Kovalchuk's snipe on the PP was awesome. No goalie is stopping that shot.  I didnt like how he took some hits from Rinaldo and Hartnell, but at least he's a star who can take care of himself.  Poni was meh, but he did a few good things in the defensive zone.

It was good to see the 4th line play ten minutes last night, and not when we get blown out! Gionta had a decent game and sprung Kovy on that breakaway. Barch wasn't totally useless and TK sending Hartnell on his ass was sweet.  That pretty much ended his goonery. It's nice resting your stars when you have 3 games in 4 nights.

Overall, I thought the defense played well, although there were some breakdowns.  I thought Sal had a strong game, despite getting embarrassed by Voracek on the 2nd goal.  Greene and Larsson did well on Giroux's line (with help from the Zajac unit), Zids and Harrold moved the puck well and Volchenkov put a hurting on Simmonds.

Moose was solid, making a few nice stops. It's nice to see him putting together consecutive strong starts. I wanted 4 out of 6 points in this stretch, and we're halfway there

I think it's been reported that they're not gonna give him any supplemental discipline fori t.

it was clearly an accident ... Atleast it looked that way to most of us I think, luckily neither of them were hurt i wouldn't really see a reason for him to ne suspended over it, it would be a little dramatic to get suspended for that.

Not sure the intention was there. It'd be an automatic suspension if there were a last minute jerk of the knee in Rinaldo's direction, that would signify 100% intention, but it's really more of a 50/50 play. Carter had every possibility of getting flipped around or hurt on that play as Rinaldo. I don't see a suspension coming, flukey play.

My biggest problem with it was how adamant the NBC crew during intermission was that this was vicious and intentional and should amount to suspension and all that. It was clearly an accident made during the fast play. Rinaldo should have seen it coming and didn't need to do his acrobatic flailing out there...HE should have gotten an unsportsmanlike for embellishment.  I'm sure though Shanny is going to get involved and the outcome will favor the poor old Flyers... :rolleyes:

How were the Philly fans? Judging no stories have been posted as of yet I'm assuming there weren't many and those that were there weren't too bad.

Compared to previous seasons, not a lot of Philly fans even attended.. I know by me there is always a douchey row of young flyers fans in 227 (different people each time which is weird), and they actually got out a Lets Go Flyers chant after their first goal, but that was it.. As docile a group as I've ever seen.. Part of it is our fan base getting tougher and making the building tough to play in, the other is that we just smoke them every game now hahaha

I got off a good line to this one Flyer fan in our row last night...he was coming back from the food line during the third period, and we were all standing up to let him by with his chicken fingers or whatever (the game was 5-1 at this point) so he could get back to his seat, and then as he passed me, I said loud enough for him and the people around me to hear 'the exit's the other way, you know'...he chuckled and so did the two Devil fan sth's next to me.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Of course I would miss the game cause we were out at sea last night. This guy on my ship is a huge flyers fan. Yesterday afternoon he was like, "Flyers are gonna friggin kill them tonight! We have to or the season is done! Too bad I won't get to enjoy it." Checked the computer last night, saw it was 5-2. Saw him this morning and simply said, "Hey" with the biggest sh!t eating grin on my face. He just shook his head. Oh so satisfying.

Edited by Steven M.

I got off a good line to this one Flyer fan in our row last night...he was coming back from the food line during the third period, and we were all standing up to let him by with his chicken fingers or whatever (the game was 5-1 at this point) so he could get back to his seat, and then as he passed me, I said loud enough for him and the people around me to hear 'the exit's the other way, you know'...he chuckled and so did the two Devil fan sth's next to me.

OMG, those better not be my seats I sold on stubhub. I tried to find Devils finds for those seats but I ran out of time and I threw it on stubhub. No orange better be in my seats!