If we pick 7th.... Who would you choose.

caron14

1.Mikko Rantanen impress me a the WJC. He got speed, grit, great hands, touch for scoring and a great shot. His 6 foot 3 status combine with all his talent make him a tremendous prospect. Doubt he will be available at the 7 th overall, but if he will...  Just Take him!!!!

2.Dylan Strome. A big and strong center from the Otters. He have skills and a great vision. Really love his puck protection (remind me a lot of Marian Hossa.) His biggest concern is his speed. Can he improve it enough to be successful in the Nhl?  I love him, but to be honest our team is slow and acquiring a guy with that issue is a risk.

3. Mitchell Marner from the London Knight is a highly skilled little forward. Great speed,  good hands, a touch for scoring and an awesome hockey IQ.  The issues with him is his size and his defensive play. Can he bring it to the next level... I really think so. I believe he would be a great fit for us.

Who’s your favorite? Do you have other name in the head?

Just tell us.

Given that McDavid, Eichel and Hannafin are going to definitely be 3 of the 6 picks before us, I would be happy if any of the 3 listed in the OP fell to 7. Just need one more defenseman in addition to Hannifin to be taken before us (columbus?). Of the 3, I would take Strome if I had my choice.

1.Mikko Rantanen impress me a the WJC. He got speed, grit, great hands, touch for scoring and a great shot. His 6 foot 3 status combine with all his talent make him a tremendous prospect. Doubt he will be available at the 7 th overall, but if he will...  Just Take him!!!!

caron, is this true? havent seen the kid but in reading draft sites its the area of concern for a few pundits.  is it hard and can he get it off fast

winning games against the dogs and sabres kill out chances on draft day, screw cory!!! the guy has cost us slots!

I'm still hoping Columbus passes us and we pick 6th. We have a pretty tough schedule to finish the season and we play them one more time. I think it's time to call Clemmensen up from Albany.

If Strome is available where we pick I'd go with him. Realistically I'd like either Rantanen or Barzal.

Here's how I'm expecting to top 5 to go...

McDavid

Eichel

Hanafin

Strome

Marner

I hope Marner drops because of his size but I doubt he does. People also seem pretty high on this Werenski too. I guess team needs will play a part in all of this. Let's hope Columbus goes for defense.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

The word is that if Toronto doesn't win the lottery, they're taking Marner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The top 5 sounds pretty set: 1. McDavid 2. Eichel 3. Hanifin 4. Strome 5. Marner

The question is who would Columbus take one pick in front of us?

Rantanen, Zacha, Barzal, Svechnikov, and Meier all seem like good picks. Seems like there are a few decent guys there, so it might be worth trading down a few spots depending on how many of them are available at 7.

There's also the option to take Provorov if they believe he's an outstanding defenseman. That certainly doesn't address the team's needs though.

Rantanen, Zacha, Barzal, Svechnikov, and Meier all seem like good picks. Seems like there are a few decent guys there, so it might be worth trading down a few spots depending on how many of them are available at 7.

There's also the option to take Provorov if they believe he's an outstanding defenseman. That certainly doesn't address the team's needs though.

I always say you should draft the best player available no matter what.  If Provorov is that guy, take him.  You could always trade him.

I always say you should draft the best player available no matter what.  If Provorov is that guy, take him.  You could always trade him.

:blink: Umm, with respect...that's pretty much what teams always do, the thing is, there is no consensus on who 'the best' is. Teams take the player remaining that they think is best.

Edited by Neb00rs

:blink: Umm, with respect...that's pretty much what teams always do, the thing is, there is no consensus on who 'the best' is. Teams take the player remaining that they think is best.

You don't think some teams draft based on their needs? I figured that's why Seth Jones made it to Nashville a couple years ago.

You don't think some teams draft based on their needs? I figured that's why Seth Jones made it to Nashville a couple years ago.

Of course they do, but to a point. They pretty much draft the best player left on their board. And even if they are drafting a d-man who's first on their board over an F who's second, because they need a d-man, they don't know who is better anyway. That's why MB's point is so silly, of course if teams knew who the best left was, they'd probably take that guy.

What's MB saying? That if there is a really good d-man on the board and a really good forward, we should take the defenseman because we think his overall in NHL 16 will be higher?

Edited by Neb00rs

The only issue is after 1st say 8-9 picks, the likelihood of anyone going straight to NHL drops significantly.  So regardless of who you pick, could fall short of expectations. If this is the case,  why not "fail" with a player the fit's your needs. 

I'm probably wrong, but if were lacking on RW, pick 3-4 of the best RW's available. Like pasta, one or two have got to stick.