Photo

GDT: Flyers @ Devils (feat. My Little Poni)

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#161 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm worried for your health dude. After a tough loss, if it stresses you out this much, go for a nice walk to cool off. This doesn't sound healthy.

By the way...anyone know how Briere got a concussion today?

You're right dude I absolutely care way to much about this team and I don't know why. They're in debt and will be owned by the NHL after the finals. A lot to look forward to.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#162 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

As much as it sucks losing these last two games, we still are only 10 points behind the Rangers in the conference.

Are we going to catch them? Probably not. But that's not the point. The point is we are still a pretty decent team. If we weren't, we wouldn't be seventh in the conference.

The Henrique hit on Talbot in the second period was AWESOME. And Patty going at it with Briere in the third was nice to see. If more players could play with the same snarl, yet remain just as composed as those two guys, it will help our game. I would love to see it.

Still plenty of games left to play. Don't fret. We are in it.

#163 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yeah the flyers really don't impress me. We outplayed them 80% of the game but they were extremely opportunistic. Not blaming brodeur, but it sucks he doesn't steal games anymore. Figures that the one good game bryz plays is against us.

Anyway, I was at the game so its tough to make player observations, but man does foster suck. The first goal was all him

#164 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Seriously. The over-reaction to losses is getting a bit ridiculous around here (and, frankly, part of the reason why I don't post nearly as much as I used to - there's no talking to some newer folk). This isn't football, one win or one loss does not equate to a major portion of the season. Two losses to two of the best teams in the East, in which we were right in the majority of the game, does not equal "blow up the team, fire Lou, trade everyone." It means that this team is still in games against the best in the league in January, with plenty of time to figure it out.

I am confident this team is making the playoffs, and perhaps even making some noise once there.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#165 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Sucks that only game I get to go to this season was this one
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#166 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

If we make the playoffs then great. The only thing I'm hoping is that none of our divisional counterparts wins the cup.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#167 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

No, but if he can put the puck anywhere on net he chooses, he can manage to put the puck off the glass not over it.

You obviously have never played the game. It's comments like these is why I understand why pro athletes do not mingle with the general publc.

#168 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

The only thing that sucks about this game is that we couldn't take advantage of an injured Flyers team whose top scorers were pretty cold.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#169 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

just to think that if Lou wouldnt have done the deal yesterday that we would have been shutout again

www.SterioDesign.com

#170 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'm worried for your health dude. After a tough loss, if it stresses you out this much, go for a nice walk to cool off. This doesn't sound healthy.

By the way...anyone know how Briere got a concussion today?

It may have been this, no way to know. After Volchenkov was hit from behind by Hartnell he spent the 3rd period looking to crush people. He got Briere along the boards with about a minute left in the 3rd. Danny was coming across the blueline and Anton didnt let up an ounce.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#171 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Seriously. The over-reaction to losses is getting a bit ridiculous around here (and, frankly, part of the reason why I don't post nearly as much as I used to - there's no talking to some newer folk). This isn't football, one win or one loss does not equate to a major portion of the season. Two losses to two of the best teams in the East, in which we were right in the majority of the game, does not equal "blow up the team, fire Lou, trade everyone." It means that this team is still in games against the best in the league in January, with plenty of time to figure it out.

I am confident this team is making the playoffs, and perhaps even making some noise once there.

I'm not as confidence on the making noise in the playoffs part, but you are spot on about the reactions of some people after a loss. It's down right emo. This team is what it is.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#172 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

QFT

#173 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have to add I agree here as well.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#174 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

We win this game 1-0 if not for Foster and special teams. Foster just flat-out sucks and the first goal was all his fault. He left his man all alone in the slot, the man who received the pass from behind the net and put it in. I don't want to hear how Foster helps the PP because his d-zone coverage is so bad that it outdoes any positive effect he has on the team. Speaking of the PP, that sucked today along with our penalty kill. When you lose the special teams battle 2-0, you usually don't win games. Take out Foster's sh!tty play and the PP goals and the Devils are up 1-0.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#175 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Briere got a concussion today? there's report about that he's the 6th fluer with a concussion this season

www.SterioDesign.com

#176 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,937 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

We win this game 1-0 if not for Foster and special teams. Foster just flat-out sucks and the first goal was all his fault. He left his man all alone in the slot, the man who received the pass from behind the net and put it in. I don't want to hear how Foster helps the PP because his d-zone coverage is so bad that it outdoes any positive effect he has on the team. Speaking of the PP, that sucked today along with our penalty kill. When you lose the special teams battle 2-0, you usually don't win games. Take out Foster's sh!tty play and the PP goals and the Devils are up 1-0.

Foster also got stripped of the puck seconds before. The Devils PP just flat out sucks. Even when they are able to set up for 60 seconds or so...it looks very harmless. Parise used to be able to surprise goalies from the short side where he is parked, but that just hasn't worked all year. Clarkson isn't very good in front and Kovy rarely shoots a shot that has a goalie screened.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#177 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

i really but don't know what foster is doing that anyone could claim that he's helping the PP... 75% of his pass are bad and his decisions is bad too... he's either not passing to Kovy when he's in good position for a one timer... he's giving back the puck to Elias whos stuck against the boards with no other options than giving it back to him... and when he's setting up Kovy the pass is bad most of the time. He also made some very risky/dumb plays on the blueline who could have cost us

i don't mind muchhh Foster cause he didnt gave up a lot but i'd rather no see him getting that much ice time, i'd rather see a youngster make a mistake and assume he's gonna learn from it and to think he's gonna be better later... than see a mistake from a vet who's just patching and suppose to help.....

Edited by SterioDesign, 21 January 2012 - 05:48 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#178 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Foster also got stripped of the puck seconds before. The Devils PP just flat out sucks. Even when they are able to set up for 60 seconds or so...it looks very harmless. Parise used to be able to surprise goalies from the short side where he is parked, but that just hasn't worked all year. Clarkson isn't very good in front and Kovy rarely shoots a shot that has a goalie screened.

Good catch; I forgot to mention that.

And I agree that the PP is awful. It's just so stagnant. Parise stands at the side of the net waiting, and when he gets the puck he tries to push it through the goalie which never works. Kovalchuk just stands at the top of the circle waiting for a one-timer which never goes in because the goalie is expecting it and has a clear view of the shot. Foster just stands in the center of the ice waiting to give the puck to Kovalchuk. When Elias gets the puck on the half-boards he can't create any offense because nobody is in a position to score. We need to get some movement on the PP; have Kovy and Foster switch to pull the d-man out of position. Have Kovy sneak down low for a back-door pass. Have Clarkson rotate into the high slot to receive a pass from Elias or Parise. People are always yelling shoot, but what we really need is for someone to move.

Posted Image

#179 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'll agree the PP needs much better rotation. I mean everyone has their position but once the opposing team figures that out then it becomes really predictable.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#180 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

i really but don't know what foster is doing that anyone could claim that he's helping the PP... 75% of his pass are bad and his decisions is bad too... he's either not passing to Kovy when he's in good position for a one timer... he's giving back the puck to Elias whos stuck against the boards with no other options than giving it back to him... and when he's setting up Kovy the pass is bad most of the time. He also made some very risky/dumb plays on the blueline who could have cost us

i don't mind muchhh Foster cause he didnt gave up a lot but i'd rather no see him getting that much ice time, i'd rather see a youngster make a mistake and assume he's gonna learn from it and to think he's gonna be better later... than see a mistake from a vet who's just patching and suppose to help.....

The PP struggles are because nobody is moving; everyone just stands around waiting for something to happen. That's why Elias is stuck on the boards with no options. Kovy will rarely, if ever, score on the one-timer when everyone in the entire building knows that one is coming. He just stands there waiting and waiting and waiting until Foster decides it's time to send over a sh!tty pass that will be one-timed right into the goalie's stomach.

I absolutely mind Foster because he is terrible in the defensive zone and I'd rather see him sit. However, we don't really have another option until Greene gets back, and even then I think we'll see Tao sit instead of Foster. Hopefully once the playoffs come around our entire D will be back at full health so that Foster will be forced to sit.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users