Brodeur: Devils have accepted mediocrity

NJDevs4978

The idea that this team is somehow way better but is content to lollygag around the bottom of the NHL standings is insane, and Brodeur's had the best seat in the house to watch the team quite a lot over the last 2 months, so he should know.

Yeah its not like he has an agenda and been throwing a hissy fit this past season.

Marty; 2.54 GAA .900 Sv%

Cory; 1.97 GAA .921 Sv%

..you'd be bitter too!

No need to make Brodeur's save% any worse than it already is, lol.

I'm glad the on-ice part of all of this is just about over.  Give Marty the two home games (there's really no reason for Devils fans to attend either game otherwise).  No one is going to hold any of his quotes against him...he will get loudly cheered no matter what he does (as it really should be).

Hopefully this doesn't drag for too long beyond the end of the season, but I get the feeling we're going to get a lot of quotes along the lines of how Marty would be willing to come back here, but would also be willing to go elsewhere, it's going to come down to how much playing time he can get, but then again he may be willing to back up, but he needs to have some say and power in what exactly he's going to be, that even though he's not saying he would refuse to be a backup, it would still be hard because he needs starts to get on a roll... :puke:

I remember a song called "I Don't Want to Fall in Love" by Jane Child (1990).  Child had kind of an "out-there" appearance....4-foot-long braids and cornrows on the sides, but 7" spiked hair (think mega-mullett supreme), a nose-ring with a chain...a reviewer once said "When Child belts out 'I don't want to fall in love', you can't help but wonder who's really asking?"  That's how it is with Marty.  He doesn't really have any power in this situation but seems to think that he does...the ONLY reason there may be interest is because of the brand name, but Marty clearly thinks there's some kind of demand for his on-ice services (or is trying to convince himself of it).  But sadly, I don't think anyone's really going to be asking. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I remember a song called "I Don't Want to Fall in Love" by Jane Child (1990).  Child had kind of an "out-there" appearance....4-foot-long braids and cornrows on the sides, but 7" spiked hair (think mega-mullett supreme), a nose-ring with a chain...a reviewer once said "When Child belts out 'I don't want to fall in love', you can't help but wonder who's really asking?"  That's how it is with Marty.  He doesn't really have any power in this situation but seems to think that he does...the ONLY reason there may be interest is because of the brand name, but Marty clearly thinks there's some kind of demand for his on-ice services (or is trying to convince himself of it).  But sadly, I don't think anyone's really going to be asking. 

It was a braided cornrow mullet. Nasty-looking broad. I appreciate the Friday Flashback!

Edited by Jerrydevil

Dude.  Brodeur is bad.  The Devils would have to be the best team in the league by far to be in position to win the division with Brodeur playing half their games.  Lou doesn't need to be called out - much of what's gone on here has been out of his hands, or written in the stars of poor drafts years ago.  You can't just magically get good in this league, that's not how it works.  Being saddled with a bad goalie who won't stop complaining can't help though.

I'm definitely not on Marty's side here but I do think Lou has made a few mistakes over the past few years that has hurt the franchise. A lot of them were out of his hands, yes, but things like the log jam on defense for 2 or 3 years now, drafting Matteau instead of giving up the pick, Larsson in Albany, and I know not many agree with me but signing Zach to the one year deal instead of trading him.

Same thing might happen with Schneider. Schneider might not want to sign a deal this summer and prefer to wait until 2015 when he's a UFA. Yeah that doesn't mean we won't be able to sign him then but it's risky. If we don't sign him we're out that 9th overall pick. So should Lou trade Corey if he says he wants to wait until 2015? I say yes. I like Corey a lot and want him to be our future goaltender but I don't think we can keep losing high end players for nothing. It's not good asset management. Lou has to push for a contract this summer or trade him IMO.

And please negotiate more during the season. 

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I'm definitely not on Marty's side here but I do think Lou has made a few mistakes over the past few years that has hurt the franchise. A lot of them were out of his hands, yes, but things like the log jam on defense for 2 or 3 years now, drafting Matteau instead of giving up the pick, Larsson in Albany, and I know not many agree with me but signing Zach to the one year deal instead of trading him.

Same thing might happen with Schneider. Schneider might not want to sign a deal this summer and prefer to wait until 2015 when he's a UFA. Yeah that doesn't mean we won't be able to sign him then but it's risky. If we don't sign him we're out that 9th overall pick. So should Lou trade Corey if he says he wants to wait until 2015? I say yes. I like Corey a lot and want him to be our future goaltender but I don't think we can keep losing high end players for nothing. It's not good asset management. Lou has to push for a contract this summer or trade him IMO.

And please negotiate more during the season. 

If Cory refuses to sign this summer, I take one more crack at it around Christmas time..

If he does not sign on the line that is dotted....I start blowing up GM's phones to see what we can get in return for him.  We absolutely CANNOT afford to lose him in free agency for nothing.

Lou better wake up on this one

The issue with Schneider is we have to start winning next year, otherwise you will start hearing the "I want a chance at the Cup" exit speech.

I agree with most people  Sal has to go (I have a suspicion this might be another Malakhov type mystery aliment), Marty has to go, maybe Ryder and JJ.  Otherwise we are on the right track.   If we win half the SO games we are in the playoffs this year.

But we have to win and make this Schneiders team so he signs with confidence.

The issue with Schneider is we have to start winning next year, otherwise you will start hearing the "I want a chance at the Cup" exit speech.

I agree with most people  Sal has to go (I have a suspicion this might be another Malakhov type mystery aliment), Marty has to go, maybe Ryder and JJ.  Otherwise we are on the right track.   If we win half the SO games we are in the playoffs this year.

But we have to win and make this Schneiders team so he signs with confidence.

Next season is HUGE for the organization.  What happens next year will determine the next 6-8 years of the club.

It begins with Schneider.  Would love to see us lock him up.

How many of the old aging d-men can we shed?  We have plenty of kids that are ready/near ready for the big show.  Our blueline should be solid for quite some time.

We need some scoring up front...needs to be addressed ASAP

Next season is HUGE for the organization.  What happens next year will determine the next 6-8 years of the club.

It begins with Schneider.  Would love to see us lock him up.

How many of the old aging d-men can we shed?  We have plenty of kids that are ready/near ready for the big show.  Our blueline should be solid for quite some time.

We need some scoring up front...needs to be addressed ASAP

Totally agree.

I would like to keep Volchenkov as I think he is a great PK defensemen.   Sal, especially at his contract level is expendable, you can probably ship him to Edmonton who could use his defensive prowess.    Free up that cap space to lock up Scheinder and get Bocher, and Matteua a shot next season upfront.

Would you try to bring back Zidlicky for another year?

HELL YES.  

Zidlicky's only crime is trying to do too much as the only offensive Defensemen that we have.  

Most of his "errors" are usually forced because we are usually trailing late in the game.   But he is a very important COG in the machine IMHO.   I would sign him for another two years and groom Gelinas, Merril and Larsson into the role.  

I love the potential for Larsson on the PP, incredibily smart player.

Edited by MantaRay

If you sign him for a 1-Year deal, you get NOTHING in return in a trade.

Sign him for two years, he won't cost that much, since he had such a miserable experience last year as a UFA.  At least Lou would be in control he if wanted to deal him after year one, and get a far better return.

The problem with our team we have too many very average players but that are decent, so there's too many of them that your bottom 6 is too full and too expensive but they are not good enough mostly to be real top 6 guys on a good team.

To me to be on the right track for a better future we'd need:

1. Schneider signing a long term deal.

2. To have a true #1 center and have Zajac on the 2nd line.

3. Reid Boucher becoming a true top 6 winger.

4. Matteau becoming a true top 9 player.

5. Get rid of the dead weight on defence and make room for the kids, they got to play.

6. All our D prospects becoming close to what we think they can become.

7. Patch holes with the RIGHT free agents.

8. Figure out if Josefson is really part of the team plan, then do something according to it.

I mean im trying to put a roster together but really there's too many average players that i can either not put on the top line or on the bottom line.

I just hope if Marty doesn't find a job that he's not going to blame us for sabotaging his career. I could see him being that deluded and angry.

This will not happen. He is taking unnecessary shots at the team right now but that's Marty. He's not full of rage and anger, that's a product of media and fan hyperbole and guys like Triumph making it out to be more than it is. I think Marty's attitude can be gauged from an interview he did a month or so ago in which he said, "He'd like to play, but he is trying to prove to himself that he still can." The guy clearly has a hurt ego yes, I would too if the house that I built is now watching me ride the bench (though rightfully so). That said, Marty could continue to take these light shots for years to come. But I think he gets over it when Lou makes him the play-by-play guy.

Edited by Neb00rs