Josefson re-signs 1 yr, 725k

Mayday

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took less money to get the one way guaranteed paycheck.  Kind of surprising that he's still worried about being sent to Albany...guess he can hear the footsteps of Pelley and Janssen  :rolleyes:

I think taking less in a one-way contract puts the onus on the team to keep you on the roster.  I don't think it's fully about the money - assuming his QO would be for $74K in the minors, $990K in the NHL, he'd almost certainly beat that unless he got hurt in the minors.

More like a we're broke deal.  Hate these one year deals for Josefson and Loktionov.

More like a deal for a player that hasn't stayed healthy, and played roughly half of last season in the AHL. 

We'll see what Henrique gets before we get into we're circiling the drain financially discussion again.

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

Lokti is still a RFA after this year and he's pretty unproven too, plus he just lost the big gun he was playing with this year. I'd have more of a problem with one year if he was UFA.

And I have zero issue with this deal, Josefson took a huge step back this year.

More like a deal for a player that hasn't stayed healthy, and played roughly half of last season in the AHL.

We'll see what Henrique gets before we get into we're circiling the drain financially discussion again.

Yeah if it's a Fayne type deal and don't do anything else I'd be worried. If they sign Henrique and Brunner the hand-wringing here is going to look silly though.

I don't think this deal has anything to do with the team's finances.  It has everything to do with the fact that JJ is an unknown commodity that has had trouble staying in the lineup consistently over the past few seasons (injuries - demotions to the AHL).  He didn't deserve a deal much more than what he got based upon his body of work thus far. 

I don't think this deal has anything to do with the team's finances.  It has everything to do with the fact that JJ is an unknown commodity that has had trouble staying in the lineup consistently over the past few seasons (injuries - demotions to the AHL).  He didn't deserve a deal much more than what he got based upon his body of work thus far. 

He's been demoted to the AHL once - after the goalie couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice and he and his teammates couldn't score.  He rehabbed in the AHL in 2011-12 briefly.  He was sent to the AHL upon beginning his pro contract but was called up quickly and then rehabbed down there in 2010-11.

Point is if you were trying to bet on your players, you'd give one of these guys a 2 year deal, but now if they improve, you'll have to be paying them each more money next year.  I guess neither guy has arbitration rights next year so you can sit on them again if you like, but unless Lou doesn't want to have these guys developing a sense of entitlement, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be getting 2 year deals.

Josefson is a highly skilled center. He plays a strong two-way game and is very all-round as a player. Hockey sense is excellent and skating ability and technical skills are above average. Nice creativity with the puck and Josefson is also a talented playmaker and decent goal scorer. However, he could use some work on his shot and not always look for the pass, but to finish plays by himself. Makes smart decisions and plays a mature game. Gets involved in the rough stuff and plays the body at times. Is strong, both physically and mentally, and stands out with his very good defensive game.

Found this interesting from his scouting report in 09.  Hope he turns out to be what we hope for him to be this year.

He's been demoted to the AHL once - after the goalie couldn't stop a puck when he was on the ice and he and his teammates couldn't score.  He rehabbed in the AHL in 2011-12 briefly.  He was sent to the AHL upon beginning his pro contract but was called up quickly and then rehabbed down there in 2010-11.

Point is if you were trying to bet on your players, you'd give one of these guys a 2 year deal, but now if they improve, you'll have to be paying them each more money next year.  I guess neither guy has arbitration rights next year so you can sit on them again if you like, but unless Lou doesn't want to have these guys developing a sense of entitlement, there's really no reason why they shouldn't be getting 2 year deals.

You're assuming Loktionov wanted a 2 year deal.  Perhaps his thinking was that he wanted only 1 year to see how he's going to be used so he's not tied up for an extra year of either playing sporatically, or spending time in Albany.  There are 2 parties negotiating these deals.  This is clearly a show me deal for both him and the team as, if he doesn't play top 6 minutes and isn't regularly in the lineup, he likely will bolt to the KHL for much more money next year.  Plus, if he is a bust without Kovy on his wing, the Devils aren't tied up in an unproven player that can't produce without a superstar on his wing for another season.  

JJ wasn't demoted because of our goaltending issues and/or 1 goal against while he was on the ice.  He was demoted becaused he played like crap, can't score into a soccer goal, and was getting worse game by game before being sent down.  I like him, and think he can be a solid NHL'er over time, but the guy is more fragile than Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout based upon what we've seen from him thus far.  No need or reason to give him anything more than he got at this point, especially since he's nowhere near close to his UFA years at this point.

The Loki one scares me the most, he could be a bust  or he could go ballistic and the Devils won't be able to keep him.

If he goes balls to the wall productive this year, we have the cap space to re-sign him if he deserves it. We don't have to pinch pennies here... If a player deserves it, he should be compensated.

The worse scenario would be handing him a 4 year contract and him being a bust midway through the season. Being nervous about a player upping his worth with a good year is the last of my concerns.

Edited by DJ Eco