London's new Knightlife

Belizarius

London's new Knightlife

This slick, darting forward was taught by a coach schooled in the Russian system.

By MORRIS DALLA COSTA, SUN MEDIA

After a short conversation with Tony Romano, you come away knowing he and the London Knights are going to be a good fit.

Romano is one of general manager Mark Hunter's off-season free-agent finds. Romano was at Cornell University, a draft choice of the New Jersey Devils.

To follow...

London's new Knightlife

This slick, darting forward was taught by a coach schooled in the Russian system.

By MORRIS DALLA COSTA, SUN MEDIA

After a short conversation with Tony Romano, you come away knowing he and the London Knights are going to be a good fit.

Romano is one of general manager Mark Hunter's off-season free-agent finds. Romano was at Cornell University, a draft choice of the New Jersey Devils.

To follow...

He left Cornell because the team was way too much into "systems, dump & chase" and more systems instead of the puck control he prefers? You'll never get to the nhl with that attitude. Then again, he's but a sprout.

Romano is a showboat but it could be he felt playing within a system was stifling his development at this point and was hurting his chances of making the NHL whereas when if he makes the NHL it will be more about winning. Who knows? All I know is the highlights of Romano I've watched makes him look like a guy with good skills but also a showboat who tries to do too much himself.

"I wasn't too into (school)," he said. "I thought about becoming a sports agent but I didn't like to think that way. I didn't like to think 'What if hockey doesn't work out.' This is what I want to do. At school there's a lot more distractions. This is a 100 per cent hockey."

I like his attitude, it shows a lot of heart and dedication. It is risky to not go to school and have no fallback option, but he seems very determined to be a hockey player in the NHL one day. Hopefully he puts up a good year in his rookie season in the OHL.