Derek Roy to St-Louis.

SterioDesign

BREAKING NEWS: The Blues have agreed in principle on a one-year deal with Derek Roy pending a physical. #stlblues

===============================

Per Eric Macramalla we'd be interested in Derek Roy ? 

Source: Anaheim, St. Louis and New Jersey all interested in Derek Roy #DerekRoy

that its legit or not, still fun to debate the what if of that possibility. Off season... you know...

Obviously Lou would have to get rid of one of our expensive D-man and not sure what we'd do with our centers situation. I would even move Tallinder knowing how our Dcorp can do a good job in committee and how we need more scoring.

I know Roy played wing a liiiittle un buffalo with Drury as a center and played a little on the wing last season in Vancouver but was struggling a little. He's really a center.

Now were talking fantasy where somehow we could trade Volchenkov to a team for a 5th round pick if we have to. and sign Roy / or even Grabovski if he'd be willing to take 4/4.5m (i feel he has a huge fire under his ass and he want to prove the Leafs/league that they made a mistake. 

Also took in consideration that were re-signing JJ around 1m and Henrique around 1.5m

FORWARDS
Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) 
Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m)  / Michael Ryder ($3.500m) 

Adam Henrique ($1.500m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.725m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) 
Ryan Carter ($0.775m) / Jacob Josefson ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($0.775m) 

Rostislav Olesz ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) 
Mattias Tedenby ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) 
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m) 
Mark Fayne ($1.300m) / Peter Harrold ($0.800m) 

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m) 
Cory Schneider ($4.000m) 

OTHER
Buyout: Trent Hunter ($0.667m) 
Buyout: Eric Boulton ($0.250m) 

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,037,500; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,562,500

then there's a 7th dman spot up fo grab for one of Merril / Gelinas / Urbom

So if Lou could somehow pull this off or something very similar. Mannnnn we'd be set for big season and i wouldnt say one single bad thing about him for a whole year. Plus its not THAT out of reach either i believe. How i wish we would have simply bought out.

Thoughts? Who would you prefer between Roy or Grabovski at equal salary ? and do you think (if true) that we're interested in him could be an indication that things are not looking good for Henrique or JJ ? i can't see JJ being a problem really he hasnt really done much but i could see Henrique giving Lou some little trouble... Zach was his mentor after all..

Edited by SterioDesign

Derek Roy would be an excellent fit here, however, I'm not sure we have the space necessary to facilitate such a move.  We would need at least a 3-4 million salary dump of sorts.  

I'm thinking that you don't want to enter the season at the actual cap limit because it takes away your flexibility to make moves down the road.

We also have Henrique who's an RFA so we need to consider the money he's going to get.  Let's not forget Zidlicky...

Derek Roy would be an excellent fit here, however, I'm not sure we have the space necessary to facilitate such a move.  We would need at least a 3-4 million salary dump of sorts.  

I'm thinking that you don't want to enter the season at the actual cap limit because it takes away your flexibility to make moves down the road.

We also have Henrique who's an RFA so we need to consider the money he's going to get.  Let's not forget Zidlicky...

you didnt really read my post didnt you? haha

i agree with the flexibility thing but if we'd have this team going in the season with that depth, we'd be more than fine and could survive injuries without skipping a beat im pretty sure. having Olesz, Tedenby, Gionta as call ups would be pretty good.

Edited by SterioDesign

Yeah, there'd have to be some kind of trade coming to fit in Derek Roy. And I don't really see what trade there could be, given that everyone is signed.

Are you talking about moving a forward to open up a top 6 spot for him? Or are you just talking about cap? Cause if its cap we would just have to trade one dman out of Tallinder, Volchenkov, Sal no?

EDIT: reason i'm asking is cause I think at this point in his career hes more of a 2nd/3rd line guy. In the past its always been tough for the Devils to get their 3rd line scoring. Would be great to get Roy for that line. 

Edited by njd3b1ink

Are you talking about moving a forward to open up a top 6 spot for him? Or are you just talking about cap? Cause if its cap we would just have to trade one dman out of Tallinder, Volchenkov, Sal no?

EDIT: reason i'm asking is cause I think at this point in his career hes more of a 2nd/3rd line guy. In the past its always been tough for the Devils to get their 3rd line scoring. Would be great to get Roy for that line. 

Moving a forward out.  I don't think Derek Roy is signing somewhere to play 14 minutes a game.  Also, this rumor is from before when the Devils signed Ryder.

I think it'll be Anaheim and St. Louis probably for his services.

I think so also. No way we can outbid them like we did with Ryder and Clowe. But maybe I think the Devils would be able to convince him to come in other ways. Lou is pushing this year, trying to get the team back to the SCF, pretty sure Roy played for Deboer, the specific role they would want Roy in etc. If it comes down to winning I think its between St. Louis and NJ. I think ANA took a step back this offseason. 

Moving a forward out.  I don't think Derek Roy is signing somewhere to play 14 minutes a game.  Also, this rumor is from before when the Devils signed Ryder.

You dont think he would fit as a 2nd/3rd line center?

Just throwing this together quick but it could be something like:

.Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

.Elias-Roy/Zajac-Ryder

.Henrique-Roy/Zajac-Zubrus

.Olesz-Carter-Bernier-Gionta

EDIT: And like I said earlier its always been getting our 3rd line going thats been a problem for the Devils. Maybe Lou wants to address that? 

Edited by njd3b1ink

Again, this rumor is from before when Ryder signed.  Lou has already said he is done signing outside free agents unless he can move someone.

So setting that aside, I don't think Derek Roy is signing somewhere with the expectation of playing 14-15 mintues a night.  Nor do I think the 3rd line is a problem for NJ right now - they don't have enough goals up and down the lineup.  

You dont think he would fit as a 2nd/3rd line center?

Just throwing this together quick but it could be something like:

.Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

.Elias-Roy/Zajac-Ryder

.Henrique-Roy/Zajac-Zubrus

.Olesz-Carter-Bernier-Gionta

EDIT: And like I said earlier its always been getting our 3rd line going thats been a problem for the Devils. Maybe Lou wants to address that? 

i think to start the season they should give Zajac the opportunity to be the 1st center and to prove himself. they gave him a good contract im sure he wants to be on top and i think it would be fair to give him a shot

per TG last night once the signings we're done.

Sounds like Devils are looking to see if they can move some salary via trade or improve via trade first.

Lamoriello said there were "moving parts" that would determine whether they will add anymore through free agency.

im not saying we will go for another center or anything but i have a feeling Lou is really not done. He mentionned clearing cap space and about trying to get younger a few times. I really think he's looking at ways to move Tallinder or Volchenkov.

Edited by SterioDesign

i think to start the season they should give Zajac the opportunity to be the 1st center and to prove himself. they gave him a good contract im sure he wants to be on top and i think it would be fair to give him a shot

I agree, I just put Loki there cause there are many people on here that flip when u say Loki isn't the first line center.

And triumph I think the devils improved greatly in the goals department since yesterday. Clarksons goal production is definitely taken care of (and then some) between Clowe and Ryder, Olesz will provide some, and starting the year off with 4 scoring lines for once (instead of searching for it all year) will definitely help them. I think Roy would really solidify this teams chances of making a decent run in the playoffs.

And also Lous quote makes it seem like they still wanna explore free agency. Trades will make a signing possible.

EDIT: and I get that the rumor came out before the Ryder signing but It was known for most of the day that they were pushing hard for Ryder so I don't think they relate to each other, and also Lou has always been a "if I can improve them team I will" kind of guy. So I don't think just cause we got Ryder that he would close the door on Roy.

Edited by njd3b1ink

I agree, I just put Loki there cause there are many people on here that flip when u say Loki isn't the first line center.

And triumph I think the devils improved greatly in the goals department since yesterday. Clarksons goal production is definitely taken care of (and then some) between Clowe and Ryder, Olesz will provide some, and starting the year off with 4 scoring lines for once (instead of searching for it all year) will definitely help them. I think Roy would really solidify this teams chances of making a decent run in the playoffs.

And also Lous quote makes it seem like they still wanna explore free agency. Trades will make a signing possible.

EDIT: and I get that the rumor came out before the Ryder signing but It was known for most of the day that they were pushing hard for Ryder so I don't think they relate to each other, and also Lou has always been a "if I can improve them team I will" kind of guy. So I don't think just cause we got Ryder that he would close the door on Roy.

agreed and i mean... im sure nobody here doesnt think we wouldnt have a better team and depth with a solid top 6/9 forward added to our depth rather than having volchenkov or Tallinder (and their salary)... Not that it's easy or anything. 

I really really really wish we would have bought out Volchenkov. He's way too expensive for what he brings / we need to give some time to our youngsters / he's pretty hard to move with his contract and ability.

Edited by SterioDesign

agreed and i mean... im sure nobody here doesnt think we wouldnt have a better team and depth with a top 6/9 forward added rather than having volchenkov or Tallinder... Not that it's easy or anything. 

I really really really wish we would have bought out Volchenkov. He's way too expensive for what he brings / we need to give some time to our youngsters / he's pretty hard to move with his contract and ability.

Plus I believe he's got an NTC

Yes I would love this move. He'd be a great fit here, and we could still probably keep him as a center. 

Ryder-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Clowe-Elias-Zubrus

Then put Roy in the third line. I just really hope we have the cap room, because if we made this move I'd go nuts

i'd somewhat want to get players that would force Deboer's hand a little on bringing back Kovy on the LW full time. I know he's still breaking out on the LW sometimes and cycling and he's all over the place but he's SO dangerous from that side and he can pick corners a lot better when he's on that side. From all the goals im picturing kovy scoring. All on the left side of the ice almost.

coming from the left side he has the puck inside so his range and angle to the net are a lot wider than coming from the right side already and shooting from the outside. But wtv, thats that.