MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

thefiestygoat

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he wasn't. But when do we start firing the players?!?! If even just Langenbrunner had been traded a week ago I would have been perfectly fine with ****canning Mac, but my god, how many coaches does this rotten core get to go through?! And if you were gonna fire Mac before half a season then he should have been fired after the Long Island debacle last month. Now it isn't going to do anything other than maybe start a futile run in the second half.

And bringing back Lemaire is laughable, typical Lou. So the same guy that the entire team tuned out the last couple months last year is gonna coach this same group now? Maybe it's a perverse way to punish the players but I don't see what Lemaire has to gain out of this. He won a division title in his last year, what does he need with coaching more than half a season in a hopeless cause?

there's no market for any of these guys. try looking on capgeek sometime.

I hate to use this analogy, but Lou reminds me of George Young with the Giants. Eventually George Young for all his greatness in the 80s got to a point in the early-mid 90s where he just got old as a GM and lost the touch that made him great. The game and the business changed and he couldnt adapt and it seemed moves that typically bore the hallmark of success floundered again and again.

I've been saying the same thing for the past two years. The comparison to George Young is spot on. During his time as Giants GM, from about 1992-1996, the game had clearly passed Young by but he was as stubborn as a mule and wouldn't conform to the "new" NFL. Similar trait with Lou.

Edited by slasher72

I dont think any trades will be happening for a few weeks. Jacques will try to turn this all around with what he has and then if that doesnt work hell start making some of his own personal changes.

Do work James Lemaire! !!!!

Itll be interesting how the fans react when they announce Jacques name tonight.

No, he wasn't. But when do we start firing the players?!?! If even just Langenbrunner had been traded a week ago I would have been perfectly fine with ****canning Mac, but my god, how many coaches does this rotten core get to go through?! And if you were gonna fire Mac before half a season then he should have been fired after the Long Island debacle last month. Now it isn't going to do anything other than maybe start a futile run in the second half.

And bringing back Lemaire is laughable, typical Lou. So the same guy that the entire team tuned out the last couple months last year is gonna coach this same group now? Maybe it's a perverse way to punish the players but I don't see what Lemaire has to gain out of this. He won a division title in his last year, what does he need with coaching more than half a season in a hopeless cause?

Lou's pulling a Peter Gibbons. Tomorrow he goes fishing and guts a trout on Vanderbeek's desk.

there's no market for any of these guys. try looking on capgeek sometime.

No, there is a market, it just is not a very good one. The only market there is some draft picks and middling prospects for guys like Arnott and Langenbrunner who will hold more value closer to the deadline perhaps as teams have to pay less of the salary. Devils arent getting anything of consequential value in return to help this season or even perhaps next season. It's just the way the tea leaves are right now. I'll gladly take a couple of 2nd rounders for the ole vets and if we can dump a Clarkson along the way, that would be ideal as well.

Devils don't have anything of significant value at an area of depth to trade off. Only guys who could probably get a reasonable return are Parise who is injured and not getting traded and Tedenby who is cheap and right now one of the few forwards who has the speed and skill to threaten the opposition's defense. You don't want to move Zajac because doing so leaves you depleted at center and leaves Parise without his centerman when he returns.

I dont think any trades will be happening for a few weeks. Jacques will try to turn this all around with what he has and then if that doesnt work hell start making some of his own personal changes.

Do work James Lemaire! !!!!

Itll be interesting how the fans react when they announce Jacques name tonight.

He will get a standing ovation and Langs will pout.

Wow, it goes from bad to worse. I see a lot of players waiving their NTC/NMC clauses now.

I think that could be a motivating factor for this move. I can't see guys like Langenbrunner, White, Elias being too happy with Lemaire being back. Neither of those three got along at all the end of last year with Lemaire.

Although I think Lou was told by Vanderbeek he wasnt going to pay a new coach. Any replacement had to come from the current payroll.

I can't wait for their Miller Lite commercial.

Lemaire: Tastes great!

Lou: Status quo.

Director: Cut! You're supposed to say "Less filling!" Let's try it again. Action!

Director: Cut! Dammit! That's the 78th take you've ruined! For the last time, your line is "Less filling!"

Lou: Don't worry about my lines.

very clever. at least for older people like me

I wouldn't mind having Lou stay on as president and/or CEO, but it's time to let someone else handle the player decisions.

You think Lou's control freak nature would ALLOW that??

Any GM with him hovering over him would be a glorified puppet

I think that could be a motivating factor for this move. I can't see guys like Langenbrunner, White, Elias being too happy with Lemaire being back. Neither of those three got along at all the end of last year with Lemaire.

Although I think Lou was told by Vanderbeek he wasnt going to pay a new coach. Any replacement had to come from the current payroll.

So Vanderbeek's going to throw $100 million at Kovy, all the other millions we spent this offseason on Volchenkov, Tallinder and Hedberg but he's worried about an extra million for a head coach? Sorry, not buying it. If it is true we're in a lot more trouble than even the record suggests we are.

There just aren't great replacements out there in-season, you're not getting someone' assistant right now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Too bad Stevens wont take more of an active coaching role. You think had he been on the staff he would have taken this lacksidasical play? This team needs a Scotty Stevens-like captain that cares enough instead of one that just goes through the motions and complains when things aren't going his way.

Mike

So Vanderbeek's going to throw $100 million at Kovy, all the other millions we spent this offseason on Volchenkov, Tallinder and Hedberg but he's worried about an extra million for a head coach? Sorry, not buying it. If it is true we're in a lot more trouble than even the record suggests we are.

There just aren't great replacements out there in-season, you're not getting someone' assistant right now.

maybe you haven't noticed, but some things have changed since the summer. if lou hires someone like constantine and then fires him at the end of the season, the devils will have 3 coaches on their payroll.

I'm not going to lay all the blame on Mac, but yeah, he was in over his head to say the least. Hiring a rookie coach is always a risk but this situation was not one a rookie coach should be dealing with. Injuries, underperforming players, roster trouble..

I never thought it would ever get to this point for this franchise. It's basically a total circus these days.

This decision was at least 15 games too late which makes it even more frustrating. The bottom pretty much fell out in December but it was obvious weeks ago that this was a fast sinking ship. Hopefully the team will be able to compete now. I guess Lou really had no choice because they have clearly been the worst team in the league recently. Watching them play over the last few weeks has been nothing short of horrible.

I'm not going to lay all the blame on Mac, but yeah, he was in over his head to say the least. Hiring a rookie coach is always a risk but this situation was not one a rookie coach should be dealing with. Injuries, underperforming players, roster trouble..

I never thought it would ever get to this point for this franchise. It's basically a total circus these days.

This decision was at least 15 games too late which makes it even more frustrating. The bottom pretty much fell out in December but it was obvious weeks ago that this was a fast sinking ship. Hopefully the team will be able to compete now. I guess Lou really had no choice because they have clearly been the worst team in the league recently. Watching them play over the last few weeks has been nothing short of horrible.

+1