New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why the league is a joke. Rather than issue clear guidelines and draw the line in the sand and say, "hey we are going to go go after the following deal and fine you if you resist or you can opt to rework them and not get fined". Now there are vagaries and implied threats but we the fans are the ones that are pissed off, it's not about the player and the team negotiating is trying to figure out the whims of our idiot :argh: commissioner.

I wrote this is the random thoughts thread I think...

Expect no news today

today, Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday

13th

Lou.

ok thanks no need to worry then! Thanks Pepper. :cheers: Except for Black Cats and Ladders and Mirrors Etc.......

Edited by Devs1965

Per Stan Fischler's Twitter,

My vibes are vibing. I expect something to happen on the Kovalchuk front sooner rather than later. But don't ask me what; don't really know.

Just the thought of Stan VIBING.... Kind of makes me...... :yucky:

Edited by Maddog2009

It's time to sh!t or get off the pot for Lou.

Only 1 month til camp opens. If you are going to sign Kovy, get it done. Because then you need to clear cap space and add a few small pieces.

If you can't sign him, go get a puck moving dman like Kaberle. You certainly have the pieces to do it.

CMON LOU

there's plenty of time. lou could accomplish everything he has to in a week.

i also disagree that the devils have the pieces to acquire kaberle.

This is why the league is a joke. Rather than issue clear guidelines and draw the line in the sand and say, "hey we are going to go go after the following deal and fine you if you resist or you can opt to rework them and not get fined". Now there are vagaries and implied threats but we the fans are the ones that are pissed off, it's not about the player and the team negotiating is trying to figure out the whims of our idiot banghead.gif commissioner.

When you have lawyers and wealthy businessmen on all sides, every contract shows its own set of loopholes eventually so this sort of nonsense is almost guaranteed. I think the upcoming salary cap needs to be softened, like the baseball cap (go over, pay a tax) and not the hard cap which appears to do nothing but hurt the players. Teams should have a way to keep their home grown talent, and players should be allowed to go to winners if they want - it is possible to do both without screwing the players to the ground and cancelling seasons.

And PK, I hadn't even noticed it was Friday the 13th! I think I'm going to have to get drunk later and break out the leftover fireworks now LOL

there's plenty of time. lou could accomplish everything he has to in a week.

i also disagree that the devils have the pieces to acquire kaberle.

I for one, would piece a deal w/ Clarkson to get Kaberle. I think we could and should do it.

We have a huge hole in our defense, and no one, maybe xcept Andy Greene is really good on the breakout pass. Our PP Point situation is going to be weak as well.

It's going to look like this

PP1 -- Greene - Kovalchuk

PP2 -- ?? -- Kovalchuk

I for one, would piece a deal w/ Clarkson to get Kaberle. I think we could and should do it.

We have a huge hole in our defense, and no one, maybe xcept Andy Greene is really good on the breakout pass. Our PP Point situation is going to be weak as well.

PP2 -- ?? -- Kovalchuk

How about Tallinder, Rolston, Arnott or Langenbrunner on the point during PP? I for one don't want Kovy out for the full 2 mins on all PPs.

PP2 -- ?? -- Kovalchuk

I wouldn't. Not for the prospect of a single year of an aging Kaberle. In Lou I trust when it comes to him finding help on the blueline at a better contract / situation.

PP2 -- ?? -- Kovalchuk

Not clarky! :pray:

But I mean...it is pretty obvious that burke has a thing for him...but I doubt lou would deal clarkson, especially with his new contract.

The devils being in constant contact with the league worries me though. I mean, obviously the contract eventually needs to get approved, but I feel like the league will nix anything with a cap hit lower than 7m. And a 7m cap sure is...inconvenient

Why would they be choosy about a particular cap hit if it's a 7-42 deal? (not that Kovy would sign for that) I know we think the league's out to get us but they couldn't get away with that kind of subjectivity even if they tried.

You can get a 13-85 (6.5) deal passed easily, it's just a case of how the money's spread out.

This is why the league is a joke. Rather than issue clear guidelines and draw the line in the sand and say, "hey we are going to go go after the following deal and fine you if you resist or you can opt to rework them and not get fined". Now there are vagaries and implied threats but we the fans are the ones that are pissed off, it's not about the player and the team negotiating is trying to figure out the whims of our idiot :argh: commissioner.

The league is not a joke confused0039.gif. There are no implied threats by the league. They never hinted at any sort of fines. If anything this proves the legitimacy of the league because they stopped a ridiculous, garbage contract from going through. Whaaaat....why are you all looking at me like that for? ashamed0001.gif...it's true

mad0222.gif Look now what you made me do...I had to trash the contract I've been defending all along to explain why the NHL is not the joke that is the NBA and MLB :evil: . As I've ALSO said all along, the league had to reject the contract to prove that they are legitimate... :idea: see now no one can claim that the cap is too soft. You can't just do anything you want to get a contract through. :razz:

I mean, 500,000 for the last 5 years or so of the contract? :glare: That's well...fvcked up sign0195.gif...and a joke in itself. :joker:happy0203.gif

Ok, now back to being illogical and defending Kovy no matter what. :koolaid:

None of you can use this post against me at a later time mad0040.gif... I can't hear you anyways anim_47.gif

that's ridiculous. of course they can reject it.

the NHL's in a tenuous position here. I don't think, like max said, that the Devils are going to get to float 10 contracts until one works, but I do think they'll be in constant contact with the league. No one involved wants to go through this process again.

Alright, so why don't the Devils submit the contract and see if it gets approved...ask the PA not to file a grievance.

Hey to the issue with the point.. You know Devils will put Kovy on Point.

As far as Kaberle goes, he is the best PP QB in the league IMO and i think he would really give us a jolt.

I'd rather have Kaberle and sign him long term than Kovalchuk at this point. Thats just me.

As far as Kaberle goes, he is the best PP QB in the league IMO and i think he would really give us a jolt.

I'd rather have Kaberle and sign him long term than Kovalchuk at this point. Thats just me.

if you want to sign him why not just wait when is a free agent next year. even if you trade for him and get him you are going to go through the same problems you had if kovy.

When you have lawyers and wealthy businessmen on all sides, every contract shows its own set of loopholes eventually so this sort of nonsense is almost guaranteed. I think the upcoming salary cap needs to be softened, like the baseball cap (go over, pay a tax) and not the hard cap which appears to do nothing but hurt the players. Teams should have a way to keep their home grown talent, and players should be allowed to go to winners if they want - it is possible to do both without screwing the players to the ground and cancelling seasons.

Except with a softer cap, all the "home grown talent" is gonna go to New York and Detroit.

I hear ya. For me, Clarkson's performance before the injury really opened my eyes to his potential ceiling. I would hate to see him playing for another team 10 - 12 years from now performing at or near that level. Combine that with his off-ice intangibles (quotes, work ethic, locker room dynamic, signed under a relatively reasonable contract) and my skepticism about Kaberle being able to play at a premium level past the next year or two, and I don't think it is a move to make.

i don't think that burke would move kaberle for clarkson. he has enough right wings with versteeg, kessel, and armstrong. plus the fact that armstrong is basically the same player as clarkson.

i don't think the devils can really do that deal either with their weakness on RW, both organizationally and at the NHL level.

kaberle is going to decline very soon, if he hasn't started to already. i would not want him signed long-term with all the other contracts we have waiting to blow up in our faces.

Having a powerplay unit of:

Parise-Zajac-Elias

Kaberle-Kovalchuk

is enough to make the pants wet.

That would be absolutely amazing, but I don't see us having both Kaberle and Kovalchuk. But if we could, hey, maybe we wouldn't have to call it a powerkill this year.

so we just need to convince kaberle to not sign an extension and get him next summer after we lockup parise with arnotts money! :cheers:

If the rookies pan out as we hope they will (Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique, Urbom) and White, Salvador, Rolston, and Arnott disappear AFTER this season... why not?

i don't think that burke would move kaberle for clarkson. he has enough right wings with versteeg, kessel, and armstrong. plus the fact that armstrong is basically the same player as clarkson.

i don't think the devils can really do that deal either with their weakness on RW, both organizationally and at the NHL level.

kaberle is going to decline very soon, if he hasn't started to already. i would not want him signed long-term with all the other contracts we have waiting to blow up in our faces.

There was the clowe + 1st rumor a few days ago for kaberle. Is clarkson better than clowe? I think Burke likes clarkson more for sure. That being said I understand your point about hurting themselves depth wise at rw by dealing him.

It's also funny be use you talk about all the devils contracts that are ready to blow up, yet often refer to how good shape the devils are in after next year. Unless you're referring to kovalchuck and parise contracts that could be issues in say 5 years if/when their productivity drops.