Hypothetical: Let's say McDavid pulls an Elway

roomtemp

If McDavid goes to EDM, RNH and Yakupov are sure bet probables to be shipped off.  The EDM top brass will want to build around McDavid.  Or, if they model their team like the Pens, who have the Crosby/Malkin 1-2 punch, you can see them pitching Hall and Eberle to other teams in order to conserve cap space.

Edited by Mitico12

If McDavid goes to EDM, RNH and Yakupov are sure bet probables to be shipped off.  The EDM top brass will want to build around McDavid.  Or, if they model their team like the Pens, who have the Crosby/Malkin 1-2 punch, you can see them pitching Hall and Eberle to other teams in order to conserve cap space.

Miss the point of the topic. Its if he refuses to sign to the team that drafts him. Which if I was him or anybody and they want me to go to Edmonton I'd refuse to sign to that sorry ass team. At least the Coyotes have nicer weather.

If it means trying to bring him to the Devils?

If we are third, I would suggest a package of Merill/Gelinas, the 2016 First and the 2015 first (which best case will be 3rd and worst case will be...like, 6th. However, I think we're drafting either 3rd or 5th)

Edited by TheMazz

If it means trying to bring him to the Devils?

If we are third, I would suggest a package of Merill/Gelinas, the 2016 First and the 2015 first (which best case will be 3rd and worst case will be...like, 6th. However, I think we're drafting either 3rd or 5th)

That's a major fleece-job. 

DM84 is a bit closer, although I'm guessing you would also have to give them a couple of 2nd-rounders and possibly one other player.  Henrique is nothing special and Larsson is still a bit of a what-if.  They would probably push for Severson.  We saw what Lindros went for. 

That's a major fleece-job. 

DM84 is a bit closer, although I'm guessing you would also have to give them a couple of 2nd-rounders and possibly one other player.  Henrique is nothing special and Larsson is still a bit of a what-if.  They would probably push for Severson.  We saw what Lindros went for. 

I put Henrique in there because he probably is the forward with the most value.  He has a long-term, cap-friendly contract, decent numbers and on the right side of 30.  Cammy is probably our best forward but his contract and age would be a determent to him being valuable to other teams.

And I agree with your assessment of Henrique and that is what makes Henrique being our most valuable asset kinda scary.

I put Henrique in there because he probably is the forward with the most value.  He has a long-term, cap-friendly contract, decent numbers and on the right side of 30.  Cammy is probably our best forward but his contract and age would be a determent to him being valuable to other teams.

And I agree with your assessment of Henrique and that is what makes Henrique being our most valuable asset kinda scary.

The Devils do not have a package that can get you McDavid. None at all.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Carp, the Devils don't have the pieces to land McDavid.  Just remember the Lindros details:

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/04/great-trades-in-hockey-history-eric.html

The Nordiques received defensemen Kerry Huffman and Steve Duchesne, goalie Ron Hextall, forwards Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, and Peter Forsberg, two first-round draft picks and cash reportedly in the neighborhood of $15 million US. By the way, the Rangers offer reportedly consisted of Alexei Kovalev, Tony Amonte, Doug Weight, John Vanbiesbrouck, cash and draft picks. Either way, the deal was a blockbuster of the most ridiculous of proportions.

Also, don't overlook the $15 million dollars, which was an astronomical sum at the time, when you consider the average team payroll was $8.1 million and Wayne Gretzky led the league with a $3 million salary.

Edited by Z-Man

The Devils do not have a package that can get you McDavid. None at all.

I agree 100%.  The scenario I put out will at least get them to listen but they would def not take that.  We really don't have anything else of real value beyond those 2 players and perhaps Severson.  Even then it doesn't come close to getting it done.

Its a different world with the cap and premium on draft picks that causes so I don't know if you can make a 1 to 1 link to what Lindros got and what McDavid would get.

Correct. What I was pointing out is that McDavid is being touted as a generational talent ala Crosby, Malkin etc. I wasn't watching hockey when the Lindors trade went down so I don't know how high his stock before the draft was, but if we're talking about trading for someone that is valued that high you're going to have to pay out the nose. In addition you're competing with 28 other teams, that for the most part, have much more to offer in NHL ready talent. No way Edmonton is going to look at the roster of thirty-somethings, young defense and a couple of picks and say, "Yeah let's do that."

You're talking losing a first round pick, possibly two defensemen, like Andy Greene plus a Gelinas, Merrill or Larsson, plus maybe like Henrique and maybe a Zajac or even Cammalleri for McDavid plus like a 2nd or 3rd rounder and maybe a roster player not named Eberle, NH, Schultz, Hall.

That's a huge loss for us.

The only upside would be that having McDavid might attract free agents at the end of 2016, but NJ would need to have something other than McDavid to ensure that they are ont he right path in order to bring in quality free agents.

Nothing short of Henrique+Larsson+1st round picks in 2016 and 2017 will bring him here.

This is basically trading the best draft pick you can get (McDavid) in any year for two open-ended first round draft picks that surely will not be as good as McDavid, a defenseman who has been good for three months, and a forward showing absolutely no improvement now in his fourth year in the NHL.

The Oilers wouldn't do this, as it contradicts the whole point of drafting in the first place. 

Since it's just for fun, Edmonton is demanding at least Schneider, Severson, and next three first round draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, this would be just about the only thing that would come close.

Of course, we're forgetting the guy who would have to be touchable to even get Edmonton to listen:  Cory Schneider (Daniel was the first to mention him). 

They're not going to want Greene and/or Zajac.  Like DM84 said, they'd probably take Henrique because he's pretty solidly average and getting paid as such. 

Realistically, you're probably looking at giving up Schneider, Henrique, Larsson, Severson, maybe a guy like Boucher, at least two firsts and possibly some seconds.  Which means McDavid quickly becomes the only Devil worth watching next year.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Of course, we're forgetting the guy who would have to be touchable to even get Edmonton to listen:  Cory Schneider (Daniel was the first to mention him). 

They're not going to want Greene and/or Zajac.  Like DM84 said, they'd probably take Henrique because he's pretty solidly average and getting paid as such. 

Realistically, you're probably looking at giving up Schneider, Henrique, Larsson, Severson, maybe a guy like Boucher, at least two firsts and possibly some seconds.  Which means McDavid quickly becomes the only Devils worth watching next year.

Or pretty much the only NHL-level player to begin with.

Or pretty much the only NHL-level player to begin with.

And therein lies the problem...sure, the Devils could actually pull off a deal to get him...but you need serious depth in your system to do it.  The Devils flat-out don't have it.  And a deal like that will ensure that McDavid spends the first 3+ years playing on one of the worst teams in the NHL. 

When I read the thread title, it reminded me of the Yankees paying Elway 1 Million to play centerfield for Columbus for a season. He was supposed to be the next Mickey Mantle with that cannon arm and great swing, and George tried his damndest to sign him.

Miss the point of the topic. Its if he refuses to sign to the team that drafts him. Which if I was him or anybody and they want me to go to Edmonton I'd refuse to sign to that sorry ass team. At least the Coyotes have nicer weather.

I didn't elaborate enough.  See, the EDM top brass will have to give McDavid's camp some "guarantees" in terms of what the project is going to look like.  Obviously, EDM suffers premadonna syndrome, with numerous top draft picks going through there without a cause.  This time, the EDM mgmt. team will have to clearly outline a plan to make McDavid's time frutful in EDM, which means they may need to eliminate some of his premadonna teammates first - AKA Yakupov / Hall, etc.

With EDM building a new arena, and money surely going to pour into McDavid's lap, I don't see him "refusing" to sign in EDM.  I see him possibly "pussyfooting" around to see what he can get out of them to scare the managment, but nothing more than that...

Dude, we got Cory Schneider for our 9th overall pick two years ago (Bo Horvat, who is actually being shopped by Vancouver).  At the draft, anything can happen.

I'm sure EDM is making their evaluations on the TOP 5 picks, obviously with McDavid and Eichel rated 1 and 2 respectively.  But if they see something good in the next three picks, and the Devils have 1 of those picks, I can't see why they wouldn't go for a guy the likes of Larsson or Gelinas or Severson or Merril  and one of either ZAJAC or CAMMALLERI plus our first and second round picks.

Doing that they get a bonafide top 4 NHL defensemen yet to enter his prime (Lars/Seve/Merril), a top 6 forward with decent salary number and veteran NHL experience (which EDM so desperately needs), and our 1st round draft pick (which will translate into something they may want anyways, as discussed above), and our 2nd round pick.

Drafting McDavid is not a 100% certainty for EDM (just look at Yakupov and McDavid's injury), and so, perhaps they want to hedge their risks by going with players they know they can add to a very talented lineup that can help them out while not having to undergo another #1 draft pick experiment which has so miserably failed thus far...

The Devils, on the other hand, end up giving up solid players, AND the 1st round pick which could end up being just as good as McDavid. 

I'm of the opinion that you don't have to overpay to swap 5th for 1st, but then again, I'm not on the draft room floor, or know what the other teams are offering.

Edited by Mitico12

This is all moot because McDavid won't pull the same garbage Elway and Lindros did.

He should if its Edmonton. Hell if I was Eichel I'd do the same thing for that garbage fire of a team. Also personally Edmonton is probably in the bottom 2 of cities I'd like to play in just for the location alone.