Is Marty done?

ghdi

Unless you think Kovy's going to struggle to get 30 goals and finish with above a -30 every year, or a healthy Zajac's only getting 44 points the rest of his career (after being in the 60s the previous couple years), you can't take the first half of last year as proof of Marty's decline. Not after he had such a strong second half.

I think this is a very important point to remember. In fact, I would argue that we shouldn't use any of last year as evidence for anything because the season was so fluky. We got none of the bounces in the first half, and everything went our way in the second half. It's said that you're never as bad as your worst nor as good as your best (I think it's something like that), and I think last year is a perfect example of that.

Edited by devils26

I think that if Marty could stay healthy, he'd be one of the top 10 goalies in the league. Might even push his way into the top 5. Unfortunately, he just hasn't been able to stay healthy these past couple years.

Here's hoping his career ends with him healthy and reminding us all of what a joy it's been to watch him wear the horned and tailed NJ for the past two decades. For a guy who built his reputation on reliability, consistency and durability, it just wouldn't be right if he watched his final games from the team suite.

Agreed CR...but when it comes to Marty this board has some certifiable lunatics. I wish some people gave him half the appreciation they give Kovy :P

As far as this nonsense about Marty going downhill, his save percentage has actually been BETTER since the lockout from '05-10 than it was in his prime years. His career save percentage is .913, his season totals from '07-08 when he was supposedly going downhill were .920, .916 and .916 till last year. Last year was .903 but just about everyone on the team had career worst numbers because of the dreadful first half.

Unless you think Kovy's going to struggle to get 30 goals and finish with above a -30 every year, or a healthy Zajac's only getting 44 points the rest of his career (after being in the 60s the previous couple years), you can't take the first half of last year as proof of Marty's decline. Not after he had such a strong second half.

I don't have a problem with people critiquing Marty...it's more about the half- and non-truths people throw out there...as in "It's obvious that Marty isn't what he was, he's been on the decline for years now," blah blah blah. And that bad first half is what many of them latch onto, ignoring the fine seasons that came just before it, and the strong second half that followed it.

if anyone is insisting that any of us are lunatics or that we are hating Marty you're out of your god damn minds. get real, its just reality. we love the guy as much as everyone else.. just dont pretend that the guy is still going to be putting up fantastic numbers

if anyone is insisting that any of us are lunatics or that we are hating Marty you're out of your god damn minds. get real, its just reality. we love the guy as much as everyone else.. just dont pretend that the guy is still going to be putting up fantastic numbers

He went 17-8-2 from Jan 9 on. In 19 of the games he started from that date, he allowed 2 goals or less. He pitched a shutout in one of those games, against Pittsburgh, but lost in the shootout. Eight of those victories came by one goal (three of those in OT and a fourth in the shootout), and three more by two goals. So it's not like he had a whole lot of offensive support to work with. Like I've pointed out in other posts, with the exception of a seven-game, 28-goal outburst to start the second half of the season, the Devils' offense was pretty much non-existent. They were timely in scoring key goals in the second half after that surge, but Marty had to be at his near-best to keep the Devils in games so that they had a chance to win them.

If you don't think he was fantastic in the second half of last season, not sure what to tell you.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If it is the end of his career, then we surely got the best years out of him before any other team could. i think he could retire knowing that we're in good hands with Hedberg as our goalie. the guy's a stud. But I don't think Marty is done yet. he may have been in this for twenty years but i dont think hes had his fun.

If it is the end of his career, then we surely got the best years out of him before any other team could. i think he could retire knowing that we're in good hands with Hedberg as our goalie. the guy's a stud. But I don't think Marty is done yet. he may have been in this for twenty years but i dont think hes had his fun.

Our team wouldn't be in Hedberg's hands; the guy is 38 and on a one year contract.

What guy are we talking about? A 38 year old career backup/fringe starter? I love the way the Moose has played for us, and I think he probably deserved more minutes than he got earlier in his career, but he's far from a superstar.