A-Rod Opts Out, Then Re-signs

thefiestygoat

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ract/index.html

DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez notified the Yankees on Sunday that he's opting out of his record $252 million contract, SI.com has learned.

Rodriguez's decision means he will become a free agent and be able to negotiate with all clubs. Rodriguez's bombshell move will shake up the entire winter for the Yankees -- who had hoped to retain him with a big extension -- as well as other big-market clubs that will now pursue him.

Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras said he sent word of the opt-out in writing Sunday and left phone and text messages for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

According to team president Randy Levine, the Yankees were unaware of Rodriguez's decision.

The Yankees have said that once A-Rod opts out, they wil not pursue him, since they will lose the benefit of the Texas Rangers' $30-million subsidy.

"Alex made the decision today,'' Boras said. "I thought we should notify the club.''

-----------------------------------------

I hope they don't even try to re-sign him. He was already making a ton of money, this is redicilous. Its time for the Yankees to move on from this guy. Obviously he doesn't want to remain in New York.

I thought this guy was a winner, but I guess he is just in it for the money. I really gave this guy break after break and cheered for him. I think he has just dissed all the fans who stuck by him through his struggles.

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please, not lowell. please not another horrendous signing based on a lucky year.

alex rodriguez is pure vanity - i get the sense that when you make as much money as alex does, it's not about money anymore - it's about being #1. there's still a chance he signs with the yankees - it's entirely possible that brian cashman was bluffing. boras is calling that bluff. now the yankees wait for the market to appear for a-rod, and swoop in with an offer if there's no one who wants his absurd asking price.

Yeah. God forbid the Yanks get an experienced third baseman who's actually affordable and doesn't go into the tank in the postseason and wins WS MVP reminding me of another money Yankee third baseman Scott Brosius.

Well, it's finally official. What I always knew about this brainwashed primadona:

He's officially A-Fraud!

He and his pile of dirt agent can go stick it where the sun don't shine. They deserve each other. Maybe they already had each other. I wouldn't be shocked. They take the RD classic term of butt buddies to a whole new level.

Da Cbi Daniyah A-FRAUD!

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

And finally, to think that it was the Player's Association which prevented him from being a Red Sock. Does anyone including our biggest Boston supporter actually believe that the Red Sox would've won two world championships if they had subtracted Manny Ramirez who btw could care less about all the kinds of sh!t A-Rod does and added Alex? I sure as hell don't.

They should rename Alex' four Pinstripe years the A-Rod Error. Sure, he'll win his second MVP and put up remarkable numbers this past season and overall. But for all of that production, it got them zilch when it counted and a big reason why was that the unlucky No.13 suddenly got nervous and felt the immense pressure doing virtually nothing.

It's not all his fault but in many ways he was the face of the failure. The face of sports' winningest franchise rolling over in the most epic collapse and three straight first round exits.

I honestly am not worried about who plays third next year. It's time for the Yanks to wake up and change their philosophy. Sadly, with how disjointed they're run, I can't say I'm too confident.

Let Alex go to California so he can sunbathe himself. A reunion with Torre in Dodger blue???

Wait and see.

He can have the home run record and the biggest money contract ever. But until he wins a championship, he'll always be a loser.

Edited by Derek21

Diablo, I like ya but not every Yankee fan lives under a vacuum. The real fans could tell what a fraud he was. I'm glad he won't be around anymore.

P.S. Without big 2nd halfs from Cano, Matsui, Abreu, Damon and the addition of Joba, they don't make the postseason.

One other thought. How ridiculous does it look that this came out the way it did with the Red Sox winning their second World Series? Upstaging the WS is pathetic. All to steal the back pages. I hate Bora$.

A-Rod carried the yankees on his back the whole first half of the season and is going to win a hands down uncontestable 2nd MVP as a Yankee but yea the yankees wont miss him. I'm a life long yankee yankee fan ordained it from birth and even I am not this blind. The guy didn't even do that poorly in the playoffs this year but yea we won't miss him. It will be easy to replace 156 RBIS 54 Homeruns and 143 Runs. No problem. LMAO your insane. There is no post season if A-Rod isnt on that team. Jaba and the bunch don't get the chance in the 2nd half to make the push if A-rod doesn't carry them to that point.

the Giants? (Replace Bonds)

the Cubs? (Pinella likes him)

still..a total douche move to not wait a few HOURS and let the Red Sox have their moment, but have to get it announced DURING the game right???

He'll break every record in the book and while Bonds gets stigma for steroids... A-Rod till forever have the stigma of being the biggest choke "Superstar" of all time...but hey I guess $35 mil a year buys a lotta tickets for the World Series :P

Sad sh!t.

His talent makes him so much fun to watch. But to announce his opting out during a game where the biggest rival is about to win another championship and without even sitting down with the team to discuss anything, then goodbye. I guess it really is all about him and he doesn't give two sh!ts about the team he plays for. There's absolutely no one out there that can replace him, but if this is how he really is then it's best he isn't here. Just don't replace him with Mike Lowell, no more Red Sox rejects playing in pinstripes.

And I really hope the Yanks stick by their word and don't go after him. That would be very weak and even more embarrassment to a very embarrassing year. The next time he steps foot into Yankee Stadium will be the first time I ever boo the man. It will be very, very deserved then.