Playoff Personnel

Jas0nMacIsaac

There are a few questions that need to be ironed out going into the playoffs. Who plays on the 4th line, who gets called up from Albany and who is the 6th defensmen.

When Adam Larsson plays simple like he did against Ottawa, it's clear he is much more effective in zone then Harrold. He got away with a risky neutral zone pinch but for the most part he played well. Harrold is safer and when your #6 is able to eat some PP minutes, it allows players like Fayne to play more 5 on 5. Both are smart in the offensive zone with almost zero scoring threat. I fear against a speedy team like Florida, Larsson will be exposed in the neutral zone wide...I choose Harrold.

The next question is callups. I think we may see a revolving door on the 4th line with our callups. Gionta had a terrific game against an Ottawa team that, at times, looked like they wanted the Rangers. Gionta was an emergency callup so we still have two more until rosters expand when Albany is eliminated. Taormina is probably a lock to be up giving 8 healthy defensmen. NJ seems to like bring up players who have been playing well of late.

Last 7 games:

Zharkov 2 goals 2 assists, 19 shots

Tedenby 1 goal 3 assists, 18 shots

Zalewski 3 goals 1 assist, 22 shots

I would have to think Zalewski, Taormina, Mills and Harrold will be our 4 callups with Tedenby, Zharkov and Urbom near after.

Who plays on the 4th line? Carter and Bernier are locks, it comes down to Mills Zalewski and Gionta, in the long run I think Zalewski is the best choice and not having to play with Janssen and Boulton, he should do even better in his second stint.

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Ponikarovsky-Henrique-Clarkson

Carter-Zalewski-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Volchenkov-Harrold

Salvador-Zidlicky

Brodeur

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

There are a few questions that need to be ironed out going into the playoffs. Who plays on the 4th line, who gets called up from Albany and who is the 6th defensmen.

When Adam Larsson plays simple like he did against Ottawa, it's clear he is much more effective in zone then Harrold. He got away with a risky neutral zone pinch but for the most part he played well. Harrold is safer and when your #6 is able to eat some PP minutes, it allows players like Fayne to play more 5 on 5. Both are smart in the offensive zone with almost zero scoring threat. I fear against a speedy team like Florida, Larsson will be exposed in the neutral zone wide...I choose Harrold.

The next question is callups. I think we may see a revolving door on the 4th line with our callups. Gionta had a terrific game against an Ottawa team that, at times, looked like they wanted the Rangers. Gionta was an emergency callup so we still have two more until rosters expand when Albany is eliminated. Taormina is probably a lock to be up giving 8 healthy defensmen. NJ seems to like bring up players who have been playing well of late.

Last 7 games:

Zharkov 2 goals 2 assists, 19 shots

Tedenby 1 goal 3 assists, 18 shots

Zalewski 3 goals 1 assist, 22 shots

I would have to think Zalewski, Taormina, Mills and Harrold will be our 4 callups with Tedenby, Zharkov and Urbom near after.

Who plays on the 4th line? Carter and Bernier are locks, it comes down to Mills Zalewski and Gionta, in the long run I think Zalewski is the best choice and not having to play with Janssen and Boulton, he should do even better in his second stint.

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Carter-Zalewski-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Volchenkov-Harrold

Salvador-Zidlicky

Brodeur

I think TG said that the first time he was called up and returned was on emergency conditions, but the second time it was a regular call up, which would leave us with one.

I think Stephen Gionta earned himself a place on the fourth line with his play yesterday. Even if he didn't score that goal, he was really hustling and full of energy all game long. Until he has a bad game or starts to drop off with his play, I think it's his spot to lose.

Like everyone said, Gionta was not an emergency callup because Boulton is still healthy. I hadn't realized that either.

I like Harrold over Larsson in Games 1 and 2 - maybe in Games 3 and 4 the Devils can get the right matchups for Larsson and he can be out there; I did think he looked very good yesterday with some great breakout passes, but I'm not sure he can be trusted in the postseason.

I think they'll go with this:

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Salvador-Zidlicky

Volchenkov-Harrold

• Like 1

Solid analysis Jas0nMacIsaac. I suppose the call up issue shouldn't be too much of an issue since the Albany Devils end play on April 15.

I'm a bit more comfortable with Harrold over Larsson at this point just because he's been in the rhythm of playing more and I don't think he would get as overwhelmed as Larsson. At the same time, I don't think the difference is going to be that great and as Triumph pointed out the Devils could definitely get the match ups they want with Larsson in Games 3 and 4.

In terms of the fourth line, I support anything that keeps Boulton and Janssen out of the line up. My first choice would be Zalewski followed by Gionta for that role.

Lines at practice

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne

Volchenkov-Harrold

Salvador-Zidlicky

Brodeur

Hedberg

Zajac-Elias-Parise

Kovalchuk-Zidlicky

Clarkson-Zubrus-Sykora

Kovalchuk-Harrold

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I believe Zajac on the 1st PP unit is massive, it adds a left corner presence to the PP. Kovalchuk has the option to make it down low and Zajac will have options to Zidlicky Elias or Parise.

i concur - he can play the slot if need be, he can shift to the point if kovy wanders and, most importantly, he's more likely to win the faceoff than clarkson or elias, wasting the first 20 seconds of the PP..

man, winning game 1 would be massive to get this thing started right.

i read somwhere josefson timetable is now 3-5 weeks, down from 4-6 weeks, cant confirm though.

well, since it was just a crack in the bone & not broken into more than 1 piece AND because he's so young, he'll probably take less than a week off before he returns to workouts and possibly even skating.

This way after 3-4 weeks of this while the bone heals he's still in decent shape, and with a week's practice he should be able to come back and play later in the 2nd round.

But that's all speculation. Let's beat the Panthers first !