Francesca & The Cup

Jimmy Leeds

because golf is more popular than hockey. look at the TV ratings. golf is way more popular. and i hate golf, i'm not defending it because i like it.

Mike has a regional sports show though, you have Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers fans clustered in pretty close proximity here. Golf crushes hockey in the south and southwest i'm sure...hockey doesn't belong there. But there is an audience HERE that Mike choses to ignore. Some hockey talk could really help fill the time in February, March, and April.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey's not his bag and that's fine except for the power that show has over guiding the conversation of NY sports first with Mike & The Mad Dog and now his solo show. For years hockey fans of all stripes were mostly forced to go to Steve Summers' old overnight show which was almost an all-hockey show mostly of Ranger and Isle fans ragging on each other. Are you going to change this... No. But do you think that Michael Kay would be any different?

That being said the truth is that even in "hockey markets" like Philly and Boston hockey is still a seasonal conversation sport that doesn't touch the interest of football, baseball, or basketball. And depending on the event (Triple Crown horserace, golf w/Tiger or major) it doesn't eclipse those either. And in the New York area throwing a hockey topic out for conversation usually means dead radio. Its a lot easier throwing out red meat to Yankee fans demanding to go 162-0 or Met fans bitching about not being the Yankees and wishing for a time machine to go back to 1986.

Edited by mdsieve

wait you guys don't wanna know what's going on in Saratoga in mid-July? You might want to hear about one of the biggest stars in hockey in the biggest debacle outside of the LeBrachelor this summer? Crazy

sh!t, I *live* halfway between Albany and Saratoga and even *I* don't want to know what's going on in Saratoga in mid-July. I was so happy when there was a possibility there wouldn't be a Saratoga racing season because of the sh!t going on with NYRA.

(Although, just to nitpick for a second, Saratoga doesn't start until the end of July. ;))

Also, not to defend Fatso, but it's better that he not talk hockey. The only thing worse than people not talking hockey is people who don't know hockey trying to talk about it.

Mike has a regional sports show though, you have Devils, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers fans clustered in pretty close proximity here. Golf crushes hockey in the south and southwest i'm sure...hockey doesn't belong there. But there is an audience HERE that Mike choses to ignore. Some hockey talk could really help fill the time in February, March, and April.

Right, tell that to the Dallas Stars fans, or the recent success of the Phoenix Coyotes, maybe even the LA Kings or Anaheim fans, granted a lot of those said fans are northern imports,(not Dallas) but the point remains. It is this elitist attitude that is a detriment to our sport.

Hockey needs expansion, it takes time, if done properly it will succeed. Us southerners like nothing more than seeing someone getting crushed into the boards, or a crash in Nascar racing.

If the mantra of a sport not belonging to a particular area, then college football, college baseball, and college basketball does not belong in the Northeast........ because all those teams SUCK, and are laughed at on the national stage.

You cannot create an avid fanbase overnight, it takes time, success helps (see Stars, Dallas. Hurricanes, Carolina. Lightning, Tampa) the demise of the NASL should be record of that.

He doesn't like hockey I get it but can anyone tell me how Mike Franceser is popular? The man has the charisma of a moo cow, his show flows as well as a shopping cart in the Passaic river, he seems like he is cranky 25 hours a day, and knows nothing outside of the Yankees and the NFL. He repeats himself 6 times in 2 min ever monologue, he has long pauses of dead air where he looks up stuff or tries to makes sense of something that anyone should have made sense the first time it was said. All in all its just a bad radio show yet its incredibly popular WHY?

i guarantee golf ratings are higher in NY than hockey ratings.

hockey is a niche sport. people tend to be hardcore fans or not really fans at all. golf has a lot more casual fans.

Perhaps in your area, there are more professional hockey teams in Texas than in any other state or province in North America.

Granted it may not get the recognition as other sports, but to say hockey is a niche sport would be short sighted. IMO.

Golf is a niche sport, because only rich people can afford to play it.

I am not sure if this is a good explanation on why the NHL isnt too popular but I think if there were more Youth Hockey Leagues and more high schools participating in the sport, the NHL can get more viewers

most high schools can't afford ice though and hockey's probably the most expensive to play plus you really have to go out of your way to do it unless you're in the north US/Canada

most high schools can't afford ice though and hockey's probably the most expensive to play plus you really have to go out of your way to do it unless you're in the north US/Canada

true.. my old high school got hockey last year and I am upset because I would of loved to have played it :rant:

He doesn't like hockey I get it but can anyone tell me how Mike Franceser is popular? The man has the charisma of a moo cow, his show flows as well as a shopping cart in the Passaic river, he seems like he is cranky 25 hours a day, and knows nothing outside of the Yankees and the NFL. He repeats himself 6 times in 2 min ever monologue, he has long pauses of dead air where he looks up stuff or tries to makes sense of something that anyone should have made sense the first time it was said. All in all its just a bad radio show yet its incredibly popular WHY?

That's a great post! And I can't answer your question ... WHY? Who the hell knows. Habit, maybe.

Pretty much sums it up.

I don't have a problem w/him not talking hockey...it's his show and he can talk about whatever he wants...I'd much rather him not talk about hockey than try to fake his way through it, especially since it's clearly not his thing.

Having said that, I don't understand why ANYONE listens to this guy anymore. His idea of a monologue is to state an idea and repeat it over and over again in almost the same exact way. He has a terrible radio voice, and it often starts cracking after the first hour or so...it's very hard to take. He's not a good speaker...instead of "you know", he's constantly saying "I mean...I mean...I mean..." He's often condescending to his callers, which is hilarious considering that know-it-all Mikey's wrong quite a bit...though you'd never know it, because he NEVER owns up to his mistakes...he just acts like they never happened.

Years ago when it was still Mike and the Mad Dog, they used to take a few odd hockey calls here and there. The problem is, when a caller asked them a question or for their opinion about a topic in hockey, you would quickly hear some papers shuffling and they would pretty much just read out what either the NY Post or Daily News had written that day. Hell they even used some of the same language that Larry Brooks puts in his columns and try to pass it off as their own. Sometimes, if they could not get enough info from the paper or the net, they would BS through their opinion and eventually people would call up afterwards to ask them what the hell they are talking about because Mike as well as Mad Dog had no clue as to what they are talking about.

There was even a rumor that I heard was later confirmed that a few years ago and again before Mad Dog left the show, they both told their call screeners to hang up on anyone with a hockey question at any time because they were sick of taking those calls and being embarassed by their horrible hockey knowledge.

The show now with just Mike is still good, if you want to fall asleep while listening to a billion different stats and facts about the Yankees. I really do not care about A-Rod's batting average during full moon nights that fall on a Thursday.

i guarantee golf ratings are higher in NY than hockey ratings.

hockey is a niche sport. people tend to be hardcore fans or not really fans at all. golf has a lot more casual fans.

I think golf gets higher ratings because of the over-coverage it gets. We can usee the face-staring sport as an exapmle again here...if that got wall-to-wall coverage on ESPN the way golf does then that sport would have great ratings as well.

I'm through with 660, have been for a few weeks. I had decided to give them a try because they stream the Devils games but I just can't stand that station especially the Met homerism. That station is trash.

Weeks? What took you so long? Its been years for me :D

Edited by devlman

true.. my old high school got hockey last year and I am upset because I would of loved to have played it :rant:

Same thing happened to me, I tried starting the team, got laughed at by the athletic director, graduated, and then two years later all three high schools in the district had hockey teams.

Edited by devilsfan26

I don't think anyone would've expected Mike to get into a deep conversation with Haviland. But Mike's not completely clueless about hockey. He knows enough about the sport to let the guy say a few words. The least he could've done was say, hey congratulations, and maybe ask him how he got into the sport, being a Jersey guy, and what winning the Cup meant to him. ... It is so easy to do, a sixth-grader could've done it.

But no, Mike would rather pretend that hockey doesn't exist, even if it means alienating his many fans who not only like baseball, football, basketball, but also happen to like hockey too.

He doesn't care. He's know-it-all Francesa. King of New York sports-talk radio. He can do no wrong.

I don't think anyone would've expected Mike to get into a deep conversation with Haviland. But Mike's not completely clueless about hockey. He knows enough about the sport to let the guy say a few words. The least he could've done was say, hey congratulations, and maybe ask him how he got into the sport, being a Jersey guy, and what winning the Cup meant to him. ... It is so easy to do, a sixth-grader could've done it.

But no, Mike would rather pretend that hockey doesn't exist, even if it means alienating his many fans who not only like baseball, football, basketball, but also happen to like hockey too.

He doesn't care. He's know-it-all Francesa. King of New York sports-talk radio. He can do no wrong.

What about a caveman?

Pretty much sums it up.

I don't have a problem w/him not talking hockey...it's his show and he can talk about whatever he wants...I'd much rather him not talk about hockey than try to fake his way through it, especially since it's clearly not his thing.

Having said that, I don't understand why ANYONE listens to this guy anymore. His idea of a monologue is to state an idea and repeat it over and over again in almost the same exact way. He has a terrible radio voice, and it often starts cracking after the first hour or so...it's very hard to take. He's not a good speaker...instead of "you know", he's constantly saying "I mean...I mean...I mean..." He's often condescending to his callers, which is hilarious considering that know-it-all Mikey's wrong quite a bit...though you'd never know it, because he NEVER owns up to his mistakes...he just acts like they never happened.

i agree with you totally. its his show and he can whatever format he wants. i agree though i can't stand listening to people talk about hockey when they know nothing about it