Parise: Money matters, but Cup chances are key to new deal

Rock

i dont know... i'd go something like 7 years 50m (7.1m cap) or 10 years 60m (6m cap)

what i hate is that meehan is obviously gonna compare with other players... but most of those guys with similar stats are way overpaid... not helping

what i'd like a guy like Zach do... is sign a "good contract" but not a contract where they are grinding to get TOP DOLLARS... not that i think that Zach doesnt deserves it, he does! But then when you have those HUGE contract and that you have a bad year or bad streak you have that in the back of your mind and if it goes real bad youre the one getting all the hate cause youre overpaid...

personally i'd go with something lighter but alright and that i'd feel okay with... guys like Richards/Carter never get bash about their contracts

Edited by SterioDesign

If parise doesnt re-sign i'm personally going to vanderbeeks home and burning it down and pissing on the ashes for spending our money on kovi instead of the unquestionably more talented parise.

Parise is more talented than Kovy? Are you basing this off of career statistics or off of this year's performance? Because you're wrong based on both.. Koval-hate much? Can't blame you when a large portion of the fan base still hates on him excessively because, hey, there's gotta be a scapegoat

Edited by Colin226

Parise is more talented than Kovy? Are you basing this off of career statistics or off of this year's performance? Because you're wrong based on both.. Koval-hate much? Can't blame you when a large portion of the fan base still hates on him excessively because, hey, there's gotta be a scapegoat

On the Fayne thread he wished Fayne to be injured. I called him out on it and then he launched into a tirade on me about how I am a loser since I have over 3,000 posts amongst other things. He is just an idiot.

Sick smiley bro. My 13 yr old sister uses them texting as well, you guys the same age?

Wwwwaaahhhh!!!!!

Dude you really showed me in that last post of yours. I mean I have no defense at all and you are so cool I wish one day I was like you. I wish I could come up with the great 15 year old taunts that you put up here and the great contributions you make here.

I wrote a little thing about how idiotic your posts are and then you come back with an entire huge rant about me in this thread and on the fayne thread and you are calling me the whiny Bitch? Haha go look in the mirror buddy.

Edited by DevsMan84

Sick smiley bro. My 13 yr old sister uses them texting as well, you guys the same age?

well just like when Mike Richard was a rookie and mouthing at Elias then Patty and Brylin told him he needed to shut his mouth and show respect to veterans that he was way too young and new to the game to act that way...

i think you should do the same dude

Nah, I'm 21, not that it's AT ALL relevant to anything. I figured that was all I needed to post because I knew everybody was going to lambaste you for your idiotic post anyway.

You threaten to burn down JVB's house if we don't sign ZP, citing the Kovalchuk contract (which has no bearing on whether or not we sign ZP.) You attack members because they call you out on your inane comments. You give no respect to Kovalchuk though this team would be nowhere without him this year. Why bother with you? You're wasting all our time.

Cue the "you're a jerk, look how many posts you have omg WOW no life" retort now. To save you the embarrassment, I have been here since 2005 and which gives me less than half a post per day on this site. So you can come up with something a little more original now.

Not to mention you claim Zach is "under appreciated here." That to me shows how clueless you truly are if you don't understand there is not one person on this board that does not want Zach Parise to be a Devil for life.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

well just like when Mike Richard was a rookie and mouthing at Elias then Patty and Brylin told him he needed to shut his mouth and show respect to veterans that he was way too young and new to the game to act that way...

i think you should do the same dude

Good post but the issue with him as I see it is not new poster vs veteran poster. Instead it is jackass poster vs non-jackass poster. Post counts does not matter in this arguement.

Good post but the issue with him as I see it is not new poster vs veteran poster. Instead it is jackass poster vs non-jackass poster. Post counts does not matter in this arguement.

agreed... every post he has made has been "here's my opinion" followed by posts insulting anyone who disagrees.

If parise doesnt re-sign i'm personally going to vanderbeeks home and burning it down and pissing on the ashes for spending our money on kovi instead of the unquestionably more talented parise.

How exactly are you sure he would sign if the team didn't sign kovy? Much rather have a chance of having both then a chance at not having either.

Why are Devil fans fighting amongst each other? :blahblah: Such a weird fvcking fan base man. People are going to have opinions so just realize how dumb you're acting when you get mad at someone for thinking or saying something different than you. Like for instance, I don't really like Debour and I think Marty should have retired 3 years ago...you can agree or disagree with what I'm saying but don't be an a$$hole about it it's so lame, especially on a forum when you don't have to worry about having some courage and confronting someone face to face. :blahblah:

Anyway..IF the Devils are going to sign Parise, then hopefully it's something super long term to make sure he retires a Devil.

this whole situation really is a win win, i think. either we get to keep Parise long term, and its awesome for the franchise because we get to keep a stud.

...orrr we all of a sudden get a bunch of money to spend on either getting a very nice new goalie, defenseman, or forward- all pretty exciting

When talking about who is the better player I think it is key to compare who would you use in various game time decisions:

Even strength, Kovalchuk has tremendous skill and has a better chance than Zach given his history of scoring.

In a shootout... This depends. If it is the first spot, Kovalchuk. If the pressure is on and it is the third shooter, Parise. Kovalchuk has proven that under pressure he does not play well consistently.

On the Powerplay, you'd probably say both although Kovalchuk is much more of a risk at the point where he is used. Edge goes to Zach.

On the Penalty Kill, Parise hands down. Let's not even talk about that "other" guy.

Late in the game to protect a lead... This is easy, Parise because he has proven he'll skate back and make the smart play.

To me Parise is by far the better player and I'd even throw Elias ahead of Kovalchuk for many of the same reasons. Elias also makes people better around him.

When talking about who is the better player I think it is key to compare who would you use in various game time decisions:

Even strength, Kovalchuk has tremendous skill and has a better chance than Zach given his history of scoring.

In a shootout... This depends. If it is the first spot, Kovalchuk. If the pressure is on and it is the third shooter, Parise. Kovalchuk has proven that under pressure he does not play well consistently.

On the Powerplay, you'd probably say both although Kovalchuk is much more of a risk at the point where he is used. Edge goes to Zach.

On the Penalty Kill, Parise hands down. Let's not even talk about that "other" guy.

Late in the game to protect a lead... This is easy, Parise because he has proven he'll skate back and make the smart play.

To me Parise is by far the better player and I'd even throw Elias ahead of Kovalchuk for many of the same reasons. Elias also makes people better around him.

But the thing is, why did he even bring that up? Kovalchuk being a Devil, his contract, all of it - has nothing to do with us signing ZP. We have plenty of cap room to get it done. The onus is on ZP & Lou to get it done. Who is a better player is irrelevant. We all know we are better by having both of them.

this whole situation really is a win win, i think. either we get to keep Parise long term, and its awesome for the franchise because we get to keep a stud.

...orrr we all of a sudden get a bunch of money to spend on either getting a very nice new goalie, defenseman, or forward- all pretty exciting

the thing is... we don't know if those studs will be available in the next few years... and IF we don't have Parise we're way less attractive on July first... unless we throw way too much money... then you endup with a "good overpaid guy"

we need parise... 100%

the thing is... we don't know if those studs will be available in the next few years... and IF we don't have Parise we're way less attractive on July first... unless we throw way too much money... then you endup with a "good overpaid guy"

we need parise... 100%

Quite simply, those guys won't be. And then the dance partners are plentiful, so no guarantee that many, if any, want to come here.

Lou won't sign a Parise type player away from another team, regardless. He'd trade for one (and has in the past), and then deal with resigning him (Mogilny, Gilmore sorta, Kovalchuk), but he won't get into a free agent battle. I think that not only is it against his managerial philosophy, but I don't think that he'll ever forget the whole Shannahan saga (I know that I certainly won't!).

The other thing is WITH Kovalchuk we stand a better chance of being viewed a contender than we do without him.

Lou has proven he can spend the same amount on a heck of a lot LESS! and he can inordinately loyal to a heck of a lot less. The Kovalchuk contract just confirms all this form the start. but taken on a year by year basis it's no different than anything Lou's done in the past.

I'm with JoeB. If Parise walks he'd have walked with or without Kovalchuk on the team. It's a non-issue now when it comes to brass tacks.

To wax JP on you all "Now if we were talkin' bout end of season 09-10 well then it'd be a different story... haw haw haw"

The other thing is WITH Kovalchuk we stand a better chance of being viewed a contender than we do without him.

Lou has proven he can spend the same amount on a heck of a lot LESS! and he can inordinately loyal to a heck of a lot less. The Kovalchuk contract just confirms all this form the start. but taken on a year by year basis it's no different than anything Lou's done in the past.

I'm with JoeB. If Parise walks he'd have walked with or without Kovalchuk on the team. It's a non-issue now when it comes to brass tacks.

To wax JP on you all "Now if we were talkin' bout end of season 09-10 well then it'd be a different story... haw haw haw"

Read this article and list of the top 15 OVERRATED players in the league surveyed by 161 NHL players. Pay particular attention to #6.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html

I also enjoyed seeing #4 and #14, but I think everyone will LOVE #3.

I don't agree with them all (especially numbers 2, 9, 12, and 15), but the rest I do. There is truth to #6 and I hope people really see it for what it is.

Edited by Chorske17

Read this article and list of the top 15 OVERRATED players in the league surveyed by 161 NHL players. Pay particular attention to #6.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html

I also enjoyed seeing #4 and #14, but I think everyone will LOVE #3.

I don't agree with them all (especially numbers 2, 9, 12, and 15), but the rest I do. There is truth to #6 and I hope people really see it for what it is: A Mistake.

He is only overrated because he signed one of the most ridiculous contracts ever. this does not take away from his talent, because he is simply nasty on the ice. he is so fvcking talented its amazing he gets hated on as much as he does. the contract is crazy, we all know that. but dont talk about the guy like he is not brilliant because in doing so, THAT is the mistake

He is only overrated because he signed one of the most ridiculous contracts ever. this does not take away from his talent, because he is simply nasty on the ice. he is so fvcking talented its amazing he gets hated on as much as he does. the contract is crazy, we all know that. but dont talk about the guy like he is not brilliant because in doing so, THAT is the mistake

I didn't see where it says that Kovalchuk is overrated because of his contract? Can you show me where that is or were you speculating (giving an opinion)?